AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My Last Hurrah (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46148)

Masterlu 06-30-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 970939)
I just checked my calendar, and even allowing for the time-zone difference that separates us, tomorrow's First will belong to July, not April.

No joke about it, I’m seriously thinking about it.

Chad.Wagner 06-30-2019 09:33 PM

Nice!

jzzmusician 06-30-2019 09:36 PM

I second the MBL's and would throw in consideration of some horns.

- Bob

greekgod 06-30-2019 09:41 PM

Perhaps a pair of Von Schweikert speakers driven by some VAC Statement 450iQ amps.

tima 06-30-2019 10:16 PM

Is this predicated on being a dealer/distributor for the components in this final system? Or is it strictly personal?

Masterlu 06-30-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 970951)
Is this predicated on being a dealer/distributor for the components in this final system? Or is it strictly personal?

Strictly personal, good question!

Puma Cat 06-30-2019 10:36 PM

I recommend something based around....Harbeths.

audioguy3107 06-30-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 970954)
Strictly personal, good question!

Interesting idea Ivan, even though you mentioned it's personal and not dealer/selling related, I know you're probably thinking new, but I think this would be a lot of fun not to mention a little bit educational. I think it would be incredibly interesting to put together a state of the art system circa a certain time....not vintage but maybe something from the early 90's when the high end really started taking off with Mark Levinson, Krell, B&W etc. You've already heard and owned state of the art so unless you went ape$%^& and did some insane $2,000,000 system, would you really gain and or learn anything about what you're putting together other than it sounds good and costs a lot?

If I were in your position, I would LOVE to put together a state of the art system, say, from 1990. I would wait until you see some pristine offerings on the used/dealer mkt. and let's say off the top of my head.....

Amplification: a pair of Krell FPB 350 monoblocks, Krell Audio Standards (that would be my choice), Mark Levinson No. 33 monos , or Classe Omegas paired with the appropriate preamps

Speakers: Here's where it would be fun, lots on interesting designs to choose from but my short list would be Sonus Faber Extremas (originals), original B&W Nautilus (the snails), or original Focal JM labs Utopias

source: I'd keep the source somewhat current, you wouldn't want to listen to an old California Audio Labs CD player but maybe pick up an analog front end that would interest you

I know it's probably not what you're thinking but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to compare and contrast state of the art then vs. state of the art now and compare notes. Most of us definitely don't have the space even if we did have the funds! Be kind of a fun diversion unless it sounded like crap! :D

- Buck

Masterlu 06-30-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 970959)
Interesting idea Ivan, even though you mentioned it's personal and not dealer/selling related, I know you're probably thinking new, but I think this would be a lot of fun not to mention a little bit educational. I think it would be incredibly interesting to put together a state of the art system circa a certain time....not vintage but maybe something from the early 90's when the high end really started taking off with Mark Levinson, Krell, B&W etc. You've already heard and owned state of the art so unless you went ape$%^& and did some insane $2,000,000 system, would you really gain and or learn anything about what you're putting together other than it sounds good and costs a lot?

If I were in your position, I would LOVE to put together a state of the art system, say, from 1990. I would wait until you see some pristine offerings on the used/dealer mkt. and let's say off the top of my head.....

Amplification: a pair of Krell FPB 350 monoblocks, Krell Audio Standards (that would be my choice), Mark Levinson No. 33 monos , or Classe Omegas paired with the appropriate preamps

Speakers: Here's where it would be fun, lots on interesting designs to choose from but my short list would be Sonus Faber Extremas (originals), original B&W Nautilus (the snails), or original Focal JM labs Utopias

source: I'd keep the source somewhat current, you wouldn't want to listen to an old California Audio Labs CD player but maybe pick up an analog front end that would interest you

I know it's probably not what you're thinking but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to compare and contrast state of the art then vs. state of the art now and compare notes. Most of us definitely don't have the space even if we did have the funds! Be kind of a fun diversion unless it sounded like crap! :D

- Buck

Buck... your suggestion has a lot of merit, but let me share a few things about myself and how it may relate to an Audio System.

I have been extremely fortunate in my prior business; Financial Firm Owner. I’m not very fond of buying anything used; homes, cars, audio gear, etc.

The exception is if I am able to find a “Time Capsule”. I have found on very rare occasion older/vintage gear still sealed in the box. It’s not that something in mint condition is bad, or a deal killer. I just prefer brand new State of the Art, however I will consider your idea/proposal more than I would have previously. :ok:

TommyC 06-30-2019 11:19 PM

Ivan, have you tried any Swiss gear before?