AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Cdrdel 01-28-2020 11:41 AM

I thought I saw one 3.1a for sale on the auction site or read it somewhere.Just looked it up, I saw one for sale on USAudio———. on the face plate it indicates LP 3.1a.

straitwire 01-29-2020 12:31 PM

I asked Dennis about the Lp-3.1 and Lp-3.1a...
And apparently the LP-3.1a is the Alpha version and is preferred by Lex Luthor
because it has more Kryptonite in the tube sockets...seriously...that's what he
said...:yes:

The LP-3.1 and the LP-3.1a are the same preamp, no difference.
Sometimes Dennis refers to one as an A and one as a B and sometimes a C.
Maybe he needs more vitamin D...:scratch2:

I have worked with Dennis for more than 15 years and one thing I know is that
he refuses to take this stuff too seriously...it's all about fun and the enjoyment
that comes from designing and building amps and listening to
music...:D...straitwire.

Cdrdel 01-30-2020 02:45 PM

Thank you much for the info straightwire.

Maybe more Mojo-dielectric than Kryptonite.

straitwire 01-30-2020 07:27 PM

Hey Cdrdel, Mojo-dielectric...hmmm...you may be onto something there...:scratch2:...

nhparrot 01-31-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 993907)
I asked Dennis about the Lp-3.1 and Lp-3.1a...
And apparently the LP-3.1a is the Alpha version and is preferred by Lex Luthor
because it has more Kryptonite in the tube sockets...seriously...that's what he
said...:yes:

The LP-3.1 and the LP-3.1a are the same preamp, no difference.
Sometimes Dennis refers to one as an A and one as a B and sometimes a C.
Maybe he needs more vitamin D...:scratch2:

I have worked with Dennis for more than 15 years and one thing I know is that
he refuses to take this stuff too seriously...it's all about fun and the enjoyment
that comes from designing and building amps and listening to
music...:D...straitwire.

I also asked Dennis about the LP 3.1 and the LP3.1a, as straitwire posted - Dennis replied "There is no difference .. they are the exact same."

zbyte 02-01-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson (Post 992675)
No 6SN7 sounds bad. And the modern tubes range from good (the Russian tubes) to very good (Shuguang) to excellent (Psvane).

BTW, if you are having trouble finding good NOS tubes, check out the 7N7 tubes - they are a 6SN7 but with different pins. Get an adapter and they are a drop in replacement. I've been running Westinghouse 7N7s in my Inspire monoblocks and they sound as good as any of my NOS Tung Sols.

Hi Tyson, do you know if the socket adapters are all the same or some are better than others. Found several online but was wondering.

Also you are using Westinghouse, have you tried the Sylvania angled plate?

zbyte 02-01-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 989692)
A bit of a teaser. I received a copy of an actual manual for the 6FLV-v in my inbox a couple weeks ago. Not sure what has gotten into our ‘retired’ friend over there in Cary.

Hi Bearcity:

Do you know the difference between the 6FLV and the 6FLV-v?
I just purchased one and certainly can ask Dennis but rather post here and can become public reference (also I rather don't bother him often)

Thanks

Cdrdel 02-01-2020 12:10 PM

Thank you nhparrott. Perhaps I was suffering from upgradites when there is no reason for the symptoms.

bearcity 02-01-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbyte (Post 994164)
Hi Bearcity:

I just purchased one and certainly can ask Dennis but rather post here and can become public reference (also I rather don't bother him often)

Thanks

No, I do not. Dennis is listening here. Sometimes he responds through one of us posters. Maybe he will this time.

One thing I have realized is Dennis is always tweaking his designs. Part of the fun when building one at a time. He can try different parts or designs at will and often without model change. I know he is wiring the front end/driver different for the PSE than he did a few years ago then I got mine. I don’t think there is a PSE.1 or anything. He just made an improvement.

If you want to keep up with the line you will end up with a house full of Inspires. Dennis would like that. [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]

bearcity 02-01-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbyte (Post 994164)
Hi Bearcity:

Thanks

Then again, it may be a typo.