AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Tyson 09-27-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 933374)
The 6L6G and GA tubes are sweet in my triode Inspire. I have the same GL KT66 & 77 tubes and they do boogie. I have and like the Shuguang Treasure KT66. They have more tonal density than the GL's. I kinda prefer the 6L6 G and GA's. The input tube used makes a big difference.

Yes, I kind of prefer the 6L6GAs too. I will say that after about 250 hours, the KT77 in particular smoothed out and filled in, it's a pretty nice new production tube!

I've yanked all the prior tubes, and I'm now burning in a totally new set of tubes in my 2 separate systems. In the Inspire amps, I have the Psvane CV181-Z, RCA 6V6 metal clad, Raytheon Type 80. In my 2nd system I'm running in some Black Treasure CV181-Z, Philips 7581A (6L6GC) and Daystrom Nichimen 6L6GG. Will report back in about 10 days :smoking:

Tyson 09-27-2018 08:25 PM

Can 6AQ5 tubes be used in the Inspire SEP amps? I know I can use the 6BQ5 (EL84) tubes as long as I stick with a 5Y3 type rectifier, so I was hoping I could try out the 6AQ5 tubes too.

Bombadil 09-28-2018 11:32 AM

You should be able to use 6AQ5 using an adapter to convert them to an octal / 6V6 base. As they are essentially a 6V6 in a small envelope, I'm not sure what one would gain using them over 6V6s.

Tyson 09-28-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 933507)
You should be able to use 6AQ5 using an adapter to convert them to an octal / 6V6 base. As they are essentially a 6V6 in a small envelope, I'm not sure what one would gain using them over 6V6s.

Mostly price. I'm able to find 6AQ5s for half the price of an equivalent 6V6.

Analog Addict 09-28-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 933291)
While there is no question that Mercury vapor rectifier tubes look really cool when they are running, I mean probably nothing cooler, the Mercury plasma makes a huge amount of RFI and EMI that is very hard to filter out. It starts at low 100’s of kHz and goes up to 10 MHz.

Dennis has built with Mercury rectifiers before, more specifically 83s. He did say that they produce a "hash", but after some modification, he was able to eliminate it. And of course, chassis can be designed with maximum space between the rectifiers and the rest of the tubes

Bombadil 09-28-2018 03:31 PM

We've been discussing output tubes. I recently read that Bob Carver's favorite output tube, in terms of sound quality for the money, is the Tung-sol KT120. This isn't to say that they are the very best he's ever heard. To quote him, "sound beautiful, sweet, and so incredibly delicate, that once again, it is difficult to believe. But it's true. Honest! I love their unique shape. The only thing I don't like about them is that it's difficult to see the filaments glow in the dark. The plate structure gets in the way."

I like the KT120 a lot too, although they don't get a lot of love in this or many other on-line forums. Audio Research and Conrad-Johnson like them, using them in several of their current production amps.

Tyson 09-29-2018 12:07 AM

I asked Dennis Had directly about the 6AQ5 in the Inspire and this is what he said:
Many have stated over the years that the 6AQ5 is the equivalent to the 6V6 in a 7 pin package. Under operating voltage ratings of 300 VDC or less I would say that is correct .... higher voltages on the screen and or plate the 6V6 can handle with ease in comparison. I would caution you to look at the external plate of the 6AQ5 when adapter fitted to the Inspire amplifier. It you see redness appearing in the plate discontinue use.

Sooooooo, the long and short answer is iffy and I do not recommend this tube for the Inspire

Bombadil 09-29-2018 01:29 PM

The 6AQ5 was a popular output tube in car radios, back in the day when car radios used tubes. My father used to repair them.

Formerly YB-2 10-01-2018 03:59 PM

You guys need to ask Ivan for a separate Dennis Had or Fire-Bottle, or whatever, forum. This thread has more posts then the great majority of forums on AAf. If Ivan will split it off from Cary it could then have particular threads on tubes, etc. Having to dig thru ~5000 posts for detailed info can be quite tedious.

BearCityUSA 10-01-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 933932)
You guys need to ask Ivan for a separate Dennis Had or Fire-Bottle, or whatever, forum. This thread has more posts then the great majority of forums on AAf. If Ivan will split it off from Cary it could then have particular threads on tubes, etc. Having to dig thru ~5000 posts for detailed info can be quite tedious.

Yeah good idea.

Really I just wanted to be post #5000.

It’s been really fun. Keep it up fellas.