AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Picking up a Ref 2 SE phono this weekend! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30980)

AndrewN 04-02-2015 01:39 PM

Picking up a Ref 2 SE phono this weekend!

The new Ref 2 SE will replace my exiting PH8 in a system comprising of Loricraft 501 turntable, SME V arm, Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue, McIntosh C500T, McIntosh MC2301s and Graham Audio LS5/9s (digital handled by a DAC 8).

Has anyone else made the move from a PH8 to the Ref 2 SE? What might I expect? Anything I should bear in mind to get the most from it? Any advice re burn-in given that i don't want to wear my Koestu out waiting for it to come on song?

I am really excited about this, like my MC2301s the Ref 2 SE seems like a "destination" component, I'll never own a Ref 10 so assuming all goes as anticipated it's for life!

Thank you for any thoughts and advice. I'll be sure to let you know how I get one.

Kind regards

Andrew

gardener 04-02-2015 02:19 PM

Great choice Andrew
I loved mine and also had a Koetsu cartridge
I think you will be impressed straight away
But give it time and it gets better and better
Well done

Ritmo 04-02-2015 09:48 PM

Congrats Andrew!

tima 04-03-2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewN (Post 688706)
... Has anyone else made the move from a PH8 to the Ref 2 SE? What might I expect? Anything I should bear in mind to get the most from it? Any advice re burn-in given that i don't want to wear my Koestu out waiting for it to come on song?...

I went from a PH7 to the Ref Phono 2 to the Ref Phono 2 SE. Find my somewhat understated comparo between the PH7 and the RP2, here. You're part-way there inasmuch as the PH8 uses the 6H30 in its amp section versus the 6DJ8-family used by the PH7. Taking the next step, you're right, the RP2SE is indeed a destination component and you are in for a real treat. No doubt you can find reviews of the PH8 and comparisons between it and the RP2 and RP2SE, but in a nutshell, the SE brings: nice improvement in bass weight and definition, richer tonality with more harmonic information, greater image solidity, improvements in soundstage information and a sense of dimensionality and space. Overall, it is more transparent with less distortion than the PH8.

Like everyone says, break-in takes ~600hrs. There are a variety of options including various CDs that expect you to connect your disc player to the phonostage and play repeatedly. Wally Malewicz sells a complete phono burn-in system that covers tonearm wiring, phono cable and phono stage. If you go through a burn-in regimen, this would be a good time to get out your setup tools and review your tonearm and cartridge parameters: VTF, SRA, Azimuth, anti-skate.

Enjoy your new Ref Phono 2 SE!

Jerome W 04-03-2015 02:21 AM

Congrats Andrew !
At a time, I lived with a C1000, ARC REF PHONO 2 ( not SE ) and 2301's.
Stunning combo.
Don't know the 2SE and the PH8 but you should be very happy.

Number95 04-03-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 688973)
I went from a PH7 to the Ref Phono 2 to the Ref Phono 2 SE. Find my somewhat understated comparo between the PH7 and the RP2, here. You're part-way there inasmuch as the PH8 uses the 6H30 in its amp section versus the 6DJ8-family used by the PH7. Taking the next step, you're right, the RP2SE is indeed a destination component and you are in for a real treat. No doubt you can find reviews of the PH8 and comparisons between it and the RP2 and RP2SE, but in a nutshell, the SE brings: nice improvement in bass weight and definition, richer tonality with more harmonic information, greater image solidity, improvements in soundstage information and a sense of dimensionality and space. Overall, it is more transparent with less distortion than the PH8.

Like everyone says, break-in takes ~600hrs. There are a variety of options including various CDs that expect you to connect your disc player to the phonostage and play repeatedly. Wally Malewicz sells a complete phono burn-in system that covers tonearm wiring, phono cable and phono stage. If you go through a burn-in regimen, this would be a good time to get out your setup tools and review your tonearm and cartridge parameters: VTF, SRA, Azimuth, anti-skate.

Enjoy your new Ref Phono 2 SE!

+1
Apart from the sonic qualities of Ref vs PH which were well documented above by Tima, you have no chance to get very best of low output cartridges with PH7/8 as they do not have the same gain stage compared to Ref series.

JimmyS 04-03-2015 09:13 AM

Must be a "bug" going around.... The FedEx guy should be delivering my Ref 2SE today :). Looking forward to the holiday weekend to enjoy some music time.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Masterlu 04-03-2015 09:16 AM

JimmyS... Welcome to AA! :wave:

JimmyS 04-03-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 689030)
JimmyS... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thanks! :music:

AndrewN 04-05-2015 05:51 AM

It's here!

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...psralxomql.jpg