AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Zitrons - a warning on the way of the burn (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13916)

audiot servant 05-06-2012 08:28 AM

Zitrons - a warning on the way of the burn

Well, just one day short of a fortnight after hooking up the sexy new Cobra Zitron power cable to the Hydra and the honeymoon was suddenly and scarily over. Nirvana went out the window faster than most of the brides you get on the internet.

Staging just collapsed and retreated into a quiet mope and the music while still very pleasant, natural and grainless was more like we had just switched to auxiliary power... where was all the lusty enthusiasm from the early days.

I am not really concerned because I had been well pre-warned but I must admit I was surprised at how clear and obvious the shift was. This would have been just a shade past the three hundred hour mark in burn in as it is on 24/7 atm. Far more obvious than most burn in transitions I have been through... maybe there is a teflon capacitor hiding in that Zitron somewhere.

There was also a sudden day of harder etchiness at that time as well. Over the last few days some of the initial very startling clarity has started to make its way back out of the haze thank the heavens. Even at the peak of the slump it was still so much better than my pre Shunyata life by any reckoning.

This is the norm with the new Zitrons apparently. Disturbing and temporary but thought worth a reassuring mention for others. Will update as she goes. Apparently the lights all turn on again getting towards the 500 hours mark :thumbsup:... fingers crossed in hope... a small test of faith and apparently no-one who has been through it has failed to make it to the other side and back into the light.

Graham

Kingsrule 05-06-2012 10:17 AM

500 hour burn in for a power cord is ridiculous
For the price they charge, Shunyata should pre burn in the wire...

I do hope your report at the 500 hour is positive!

bzr 05-06-2012 10:14 PM

I for one am very glad to have been advised this, I dare say if i had not known & experienced it I would have cracked the proverbial sh*ts. Thanks Graham. :thumbsup:

audiot servant 05-07-2012 12:43 AM

It's fine Kev... those two Cobras will make music for you :thumbsup:... things sure went MIA on Thursday night and they started to clear up again throughout the weekend... this morning it's fully Return of the Dragon... now that's the sound I fell for... even better than ever... by my reckoning thats at just 400hrs... if things improve even more over that next 100 hours as suggested then I am going to be one happy camper.

G997 - it seems that one of the downsides with gear becoming more and more transparent is that even changes like burn in will likely become more and more noticeable.

Clearly that has become also an issue with ARC gear of late. Not sure of the economies of manufacturers burning the gear in for us... sounds great if possible but I am happy to wait especially if I know that it is just a phase... even a bit of info on how these things tend to play out would probably save us from scratching of our heads about where exactly the rollercoaster is taking us as new gear settles in... my heavens this Zitron is fast.

Graham

GaryProtein 05-07-2012 02:06 AM

Come on guys.

Do you really think the 4s1 / 3d10 orbital electrons in the copper went to sleep at 300 hours and woke up again at the 400 hour mark????

Please, IT WAS YOU. Your sinus, your ears, what you ate or drank, if someone in the family was sick, whether you went for your morning jog or not or your mental state, not the electrons in the wires. The biggest variable in the system by far, is the human.

audiot servant 05-07-2012 02:14 AM

but I was sober at the time I swear... and maybe that's where I went wrong.

As always it's a completely happy IMO YMMV and all the other letters that allow us to hear stuff and take from these things what we will... I only see from one window and happy for everyone to see what and from where they will... though when I look out to the horizon I must admit that she looks just a little flatter today than usual :smoking:

cheers
Graham

bzr 05-07-2012 03:56 AM

...ahhh I see the cheeky monkey. :D Did you know you had sinusitis for 100 hrs? :D

MyPal 05-07-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 306964)
Come on guys.

Do you really think the 4s1 / 3d10 orbital electrons in the copper went to sleep at 300 hours and woke up again at the 400 hour mark????

Please, IT WAS YOU. Your sinus, your ears, what you ate or drank, if someone in the family was sick, whether you went for your morning jog or not or your mental state, not the electrons in the wires. The biggest variable in the system by far, is the human.

I have heard the same thing, that the Shunyata Zitrons take a burn-in dip at around 300hrs & start to pick up again at around 500hrs where they continue to open up & come of age at around 800hrs. :yes:

bzr 05-07-2012 08:00 PM

Come on guys, don't turn this into another mumbo jumbo foil hat thread. We all do not listen to the same transistor do we, even though they are made of the same material. We are all made of the same material but look, smell, sound & perform differently too. Scientists insisted the world was flat, *explorers* didn't "fall off" so that theory was kind of ........
On the whole Graham I asked around of some people that are quite knowledgeable in the music industry in fabrication sales etc., about the sound characteristics you speak of & they have experienced the same phenomenon.

10Beers 05-10-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 307168)
Maybe, but doesn't the signal move much faster than the electrons?

My vote goes to some unexplained phenomena related to AC on the wire rather than consistently timed user hallucination. YMMV :)

The electrons don't go anywhere. They merely provide a path for the signal to follow.
Otherwise we'd be knee deep in electrons on a planetary scale and the Environuts would be trying to figure a way to separate you from your money to clean it up.