AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Reference 5 SE preamp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11847)

PHC1 01-11-2012 03:00 PM

Reference 5 SE preamp

My dealer received his Reference 5 SE preamp a few weeks back. With a bit of break in time, in his opinion, it is very close to what the Ref40 offers. I have not heard it yet.

daveneumann 01-11-2012 08:47 PM

Does anyone know the upgrade cost from Ref 5 to the SE version?

jpgr4blu 01-11-2012 09:56 PM

Spoke to Cal yesterday and, if memory serves me right, he said $1950.00 to upgrade from Ref Phono 2 to SE. Same changes in Ref 5 so I assume same price. ARC is taking appointments for these upgrades so that we do not surrender the item for more time than is necessary.

enatai252 01-11-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgr4blu (Post 252649)
Spoke to Cal yesterday and, if memory serves me right, he said $1950.00 to upgrade from Ref Phono 2 to SE. Same changes in Ref 5 so I assume same price. ARC is taking appointments for these upgrades so that we do not surrender the item for more time than is necessary.

That would be great news for Ref 5 owners...as its only $1k over the new price. I received my 5SE just befor new years but since its being set up at the cabin...I have not had a chance to get up there and set it up yet.

karsajid 01-12-2012 11:34 AM

Look forward to your impressions of the REF5 SE. Mine gets delivered end of the month to mate with REF210 with factory KT120s.

Also coming: Aurender S10 and Ayon Skylla.

larevoj 01-17-2012 06:28 AM

Not going to do a review since SE has 0 hours versus non-SE at 550 hours and ARC recommends 600 hours of run-in time. Initial and immediate impression is a little faster, more dynamic, firm low, and airy highs. On aesthetic it looks sleeker with round front buttons which actually matches very well with my Bryston round buttons. Still I am kind of old fashion and prefers the retro squarish plastic buttons. The top cover now is acrylic as standard and metal top for special order - some in other forum commented acrylic sounds better. If anything it does helps the tubes glow brighter in the night!

Overall impression is a positive one. :)

karsajid 01-18-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larevoj (Post 255179)
Not going to do a review since SE has 0 hours versus non-SE at 550 hours and ARC recommends 600 hours of run-in time. Initial and immediate impression is a little faster, more dynamic, firm low, and airy highs. On aesthetic it looks sleeker with round front buttons which actually matches very well with my Bryston round buttons. Still I am kind of old fashion and prefers the retro squarish plastic buttons. The top cover now is acrylic as standard and metal top for special order - some in other forum commented acrylic sounds better. If anything it does helps the tubes glow brighter in the night!

Overall impression is a positive one. :)

Nice to know your first impression is positive :thumbsup:

Is the gain structure similar? Does it sound more dynamic at lower volume levels than the Ref5?

larevoj 01-18-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karsajid (Post 255631)
Nice to know your first impression is positive :thumbsup:

Is the gain structure similar? Does it sound more dynamic at lower volume levels than the Ref5?

At this moment I have clocked only 12 hours so its hard to compare. It is faster and more dynamic. :yes:

guitardave 01-22-2012 06:58 PM

My ship date is also at the end of the month. I sold my Ref5 two weeks ago, anticipating getting either the Anniversary or the 5se, but ordered a 5se a few weeks ago. This is longer than a Shindo wait... I am not good at waiting for these things. I still have other music options, but I am very anxious to hear the 5se!

guitardave 01-24-2012 11:43 PM

Why so little posting on this thread? Does anyone have their 5se's yet?