AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Scala v2 to Stella (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25279)

dkrm 02-09-2014 08:07 AM

Scala v2 to Stella

Hello. Have anyone here make a move from scala to stella? I am so itchy to do so but i think it also mean i need to upgrade my amp. Currectly i am using mc275le mono. I am pretty sure it wont be able to drive stella but be glad to hear otherwise if someone had experienced it.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Masterlu 02-09-2014 09:18 AM

The Stella is quite efficient at 94db, I would think you would be fine.

dkrm 02-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 578963)
The Stella is quite efficient at 94db, I would think you would be fine.

Thxs Masterlu. Quite right.

Btw, you photos of Uthopia add to the itchiness :-)

C2300MC275 02-09-2014 02:01 PM

The Stella is not too challenging - you should be fine with that. The Maestro is the toughest of the whole range fwiw.

Mind you, I would have thought you might want to consider something slightly more resolving to really appreciate the magnificent Stella. The macs are great (used to own myself) but they hide a lot of information IMO. So it depends what you are ultimately after. The Stella will give you much bigger scale and sound staging with your existing amps - upgrade them to the 2301s would be magnificent. :thumbsup:

enit 02-09-2014 03:17 PM

Stella has got two binding posts, one for the main, which is the MTM section, and one for the bass, which is the EM woofer section. If you're thinking of upgrading. You could consider MC275 for the MTM section, should be sufficient. The loading of the EM I believe will be hefty, and it will suck the life out of your MC275 easily. While Stella's are sensitive, they appreciate good deal of power for the woofers. MC601s will do very well in a biamp configuration.

The sensitivities of the amps Mc275 and MC601 are different. But I heard an MC2301 and Mc1.2KW into the Stellas, and it was quite formidable to say the least. We had the MEN220 as an active crossover, and did some tweaking to the gain, which gave excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

-E- 02-09-2014 03:24 PM

It isn't that they are challenging to drive, it is that Focal loves, and I can't stress LOVESSSSS power. Even from tubes.

You aren't doing them a favor with just a 275. They deserve 2301's or something in that realm. (Heck, even Scala2's do.)

dkrm 02-09-2014 09:05 PM

Thanks guys. This get me thinking. At this price point (btw, what is the retail price for stella in the US) there are others worth considering like SF Aida, Time, Alexia.... Hmmmm

intouch1 02-10-2014 03:29 AM

i have the Scala v1 and the stella's. there is absolutely no comparison in the sheer Image size between the two. the stella is one of the most authoritative Speakers i have heard. i also do have maxx3's and sasha's.

any well powered amp will drive the Stella with no issues. but as mentioned before, the more power the better. the bass the stella delivers is mindblowing in Detail and sheer power.

intouch1 02-10-2014 03:30 AM

i believe US retial is around 90k

dkrm 02-10-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intouch1 (Post 579313)
i have the Scala v1 and the stella's. there is absolutely no comparison in the sheer Image size between the two. the stella is one of the most authoritative Speakers i have heard. i also do have maxx3's and sasha's. any well powered amp will drive the Stella with no issues. but as mentioned before, the more power the better. the bass the stella delivers is mindblowing in Detail and sheer power.

Thanks intouch. A vote of confident for sure. I will be auditioning Aida and Stella this Friday. What do you use to drive Stella