AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   MPod installed to Q7 MK I (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38683)

TOGA 02-24-2017 03:56 AM

MPod installed to Q7 MK I

1 Attachment(s)
Clearly improvement overall.
Better bass definitely in my system.
Lower noise floor allows more lower level signal to be heard.

But one problem now, due to thick carpet floor, speaker weight is shifted
Forward causing it to tilt down a bit and I am not sure how to adjust
for height. I guess the upper black part of Mpod should be fully touch
Lower part of Q7 so that thread inside Q7 will not carry speaker weight.
But I don't know where else do we rotate to increase height. Mpod has
Complex construction. Any idea ?

Thanks

Toga

bart 02-24-2017 04:11 AM

Toga, I can't help you with your problem, but I am happy to see you here again.
I had been wondering how you were doing, the last days...

TOGA 02-24-2017 08:19 AM

Bart, thanks a lot for not forgeting me haha. Well the main reason for my disappearing was that AA ios app was not compatible with later version of ios, I just can't type anything, the app would shut it down Everytime. Toga

Still-One 02-24-2017 10:07 AM

Toga
There is a new AA ap that works. I use the old ap when I do not think I will respond and the new ap when I plan to. I prefer how the old ap works. Just me.

joey_v 02-25-2017 05:08 AM

Would it help if you placed the speaker on a solid base then the mpods?

TOGA 02-25-2017 08:17 AM

@Jim, thanks, I will try.
@Joey,
The floor is thick steel reinforced concrete with carpet on top. Very solid, jumping in front of turntable playing doesn't make any mechanical feedback. I think due to the thickness of carpet and nose heavy bias of Q7 by using another solid platform I still think it will tilted forward a bit. I think for now I will wait until carpet fully compressed before adjusting anything. Thanks for your idea
Toga

Antonmb 02-25-2017 05:41 PM

Hi Toga, the best approach I've seen for carpet over concrete is to use a solid platform with spikes long enough to penetrate the carpet and have the platform not supported by the carpet. Spike it through the carpet directly to the concrete, then place the speakers on the pods on top of the platform. This bypasses the carpet altogether and makes the whole setup much more stable, while still giving the isolating benefit of the pods.

TOGA 02-25-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 833967)
Hi Toga, the best approach I've seen for carpet over concrete is to use a solid platform with spikes long enough to penetrate the carpet and have the platform not supported by the carpet. Spike it through the carpet directly to the concrete, then place the speakers on the pods on top of the platform. This bypasses the carpet altogether and makes the whole setup much more stable, while still giving the isolating benefit of the pods.

Now I see a pair of nice giant isolatin platforms.. also see at least 10cm increased in height. I also see difficulties in raising the speakers up and down again on platform. Fine tuning speaker position will be difficult and dangerous job too unless platform is huge enough for -/+ 20cm of movement in all,direction. Also concrete surface may crack due to pin point load from >300Kg. If we can oversome such difficulties, then I see a beautiful custom sized Symposium Ultra underneath, nice.

Toga

Antonmb 02-25-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 833977)
Now I see a pair of nice giant isolatin platforms.. also see at least 10cm increased in height. I also see difficulties in raising the speakers up and down again on platform. Fine tuning speaker position will be difficult and dangerous job too unless platform is huge enough for -/+ 20cm of movement in all,direction. Also concrete surface may crack due to pin point load from >300Kg. If we can oversome such difficulties, then I see a beautiful custom sized Symposium Ultra underneath, nice.

Toga

Oops, I guess I wasn't thinking about the weight of the Q7.

joey_v 02-26-2017 12:56 AM

Yeah I agree, putting platforms under the Q7 would be difficult.