AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustic Sciences Corporation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   ASC Sound Panels (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=10572)

W9TR 10-27-2011 07:51 AM

ASC Sound Panels

I recently acquired a Used set of 8 ASC Sound panels to treat the wall behind my listening chair. Placed on 12" centers, they have a transformational effect on my listening experience.

One issue - they smell. It is a Urea odor.
Is there a way to get rid of it?
Are the panels deteriorating with age? I bought these used and don't know how old they are.
If I bought new ones, would I have the same issue?
Is there a better or different product for this application?

I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing.

Thanks,

Tom

hkval 10-27-2011 08:43 AM

I had the Tube Traps and cinema panels, both relatively new from ASC, and they did not smell. The smell, Urea, is in many of the synthetic luggage pieces sold today and does not go away.

I highly recommend GIF panels. Even custom made panels are made and shipped within 3 days and reasonably priced. They are very effective, quality craftsmanship, very friendly staff and don't act like they are doing you a favor to ship within 3-4 weeks. Also, their shipping prices are very, very fair.:scratch2:

jimtranr 10-27-2011 12:57 PM

I had a set of ASC sound panels for several years that never emitted that kind of scent, so I doubt it's a symptom of aging. One possibility: the previous owner had a male cat.

W9TR 10-28-2011 06:42 AM

Thanks Howard, Jim.
Glad to see that both you experiences with panels are odor-free. I really like the art panel options, and may go that route.

This really proved to me that I can dramatically improve the sound of an already good sounding room with some treatments.

Jim, it's not cat, I know that smell. It's what sent Oliver the Cat to "The Farm".

Tom

JackD201 01-19-2012 10:05 AM

No smell on mine.

This is kind of funny. This is the first time I ever smelled anything because of the net. :lol:

Removed 01-19-2012 12:24 PM

I have twenty plus tube traps products in my room and no smell......I also just delivered about 30 pieces to one of my customers and no smell either. In regards to hkval comment above.......I use to have GIK prior to the tube traps and found the workmanship with the GIK was not consistent from one panel to the other, the panels from the same batch were as much as one inch different in thickness, the wood frames underneath the fabric had a slight bow in which the panels did not lay flat against the wall, the plastic perimeter framing they used underneath showed through the fabric....all in all I thought the GIK panel were thrown together without paying attention to clean finish work, these were the 244 & 242 panels.....I also had the tri-traps from GIK and those were put together with a much higher standard.

PHC1 01-19-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 221147)
Thanks Howard, Jim.
Glad to see that both you experiences with panels are odor-free. I really like the art panel options, and may go that route.

This really proved to me that I can dramatically improve the sound of an already good sounding room with some treatments.

Jim, it's not cat, I know that smell. It's what sent Oliver the Cat to "The Farm".

Tom

Tom, if they smell like Urea and it's not a cat.... perhaps the previous owner then??? :scratch2:

Still-One 01-19-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A/V Solutions (Post 256057)
I have twenty plus tube traps products in my room and no smell......I also just delivered about 30 pieces to one of my customers and no smell either. In regards to hkval comment above.......I use to have GIK prior to the tube traps and found the workmanship with the GIK was not consistent from one panel to the other, the panels from the same batch were as much as one inch different in thickness, the wood frames underneath the fabric had a slight bow in which the panels did not lay flat against the wall, the plastic perimeter framing they used underneath showed through the fabric....all in all I thought the GIK panel were thrown together without paying attention to clean finish work, these were the 244 & 242 panels.....I also had the tri-traps from GIK and those were put together with a much higher standard.

Jeff
A bit surprised you had issues with the GIK panels. I am completely satisfied with my nine panels. The exceeded my expectations in both quality and price. Although it is hard to compare since they perform different functions they do have a greater impact on my room than either my Echo Busters or Real Traps.

Jim

Removed 01-19-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 256177)
Jeff
A bit surprised you had issues with the GIK panels. I am completely satisfied with my nine panels. The exceeded my expectations in both quality and price. Although it is hard to compare since they perform different functions they do have a greater impact on my room than either my Echo Busters or Real Traps.

Jim

Jim.....I had bought them about five or six years ago and at that time it seemed they were having trouble being consistant from one order to the next, maybe the off white color mine were showed more of the flaws :scratch2:....I'm sure they have gotten better building them with five more years under there belt.

Masterlu 01-19-2012 07:39 PM

I have used plenty of ASC products, no smell here. :no: