AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Woo Audio WA6 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42205)

djwhog 02-18-2018 04:17 PM

Have you ever compared to the Woo Audio WA-6SE with Sophia Princess & matched pair of 6GL7/6EM tubes

PHC1 02-18-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 900444)
Have you ever compared to the Woo Audio WA-6SE with Sophia Princess & matched pair of 6GL7/6EM tubes

I have not. 2 chassis would not work for me since this is my "desktop" late night listening amp. WA6 just fits on the edge of my desk, they are not exactly small. :D

FreddieFerric 02-23-2018 05:25 PM

I’ve been using the WA6 for just over a year now. Excellent build quality and very good sound for the money. The unit can be significantly tweaked by rolling in NOS tubes.

Congrats on the purchase Serge. I think you’re going to like it.

PHC1 02-23-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 901364)
I’ve been using the WA6 for just over a year now. Excellent build quality and very good sound for the money. The unit can be significantly tweaked by rolling in NOS tubes.

Congrats on the purchase Serge. I think you’re going to like it.

Thanks! The Woo gets 2-3 hours of play time daily. Love it. Very musical. So far the Sophia Princess and the 13EM7 tubes are keeping me very happy.

FreddieFerric 02-23-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 901366)
Thanks! The Woo gets 2-3 hours of play time daily. Love it. Very musical. So far the Sophia Princess and the 13EM7 tubes are keeping me very happy.

Try the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier tube. Mates beautifully with the WA6. Lovely midrange. I have one in mine. It’s not going anywhere.

PHC1 02-23-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 901368)
Try the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier tube. Mates beautifully with the WA6. Lovely midrange. I have one in mine. It’s not going anywhere.

Will look into it for sure. Thanks!

FreddieFerric 02-24-2018 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 901381)
Will look into it for sure. Thanks!

After posting about the Brimar, I got to thinking about it a bit more. Ordered another one just to be safe. Langrex in the UK is the place to go for it. They also have an eBay store. Just an FYI.

It would seem you have the Gen 2 WA6, so that doesn't use the same 6de7's valves that mine do.

PHC1 02-24-2018 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 901467)
After posting about the Brimar, I got to thinking about it a bit more. Ordered another one just to be safe. Langrex in the UK is the place to go for it. They also have an eBay store. Just an FYI.

It would seem you have the Gen 2 WA6, so that doesn't use the same 6de7's valves that mine do.

No, my unit takes the 13DE7 tubes which I have upgraded to the 13ME7 tubes with the Woo tube adapters.

"The 13EM7 is the ultimate driver/power tube for the WA6. It has great extension and excellent clarity on all frequency range. You will hear each note with breathing air around it. The sound is smooth and well balanced."

FreddieFerric 03-07-2018 03:21 PM

The additional Brimar that I ordered along with the NOS RCA 6DE7’s arrived on Monday. Ran them in for a few hours on Tuesday and then gave them a listen last night. The RCA’s are an improvement over the stock Sylvania’s the WA6 came with. Although power output seems a tiny shade less (which is still quite enough) the overall presentation is more liquid and smooth. Seems to have a bit more air and sparkle. It’s a pretty inexpensive combo that delivers a nice return on investment.

PHC1 03-07-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 904074)
The additional Brimar that I ordered along with the NOS RCA 6DE7’s arrived on Monday. Ran them in for a few hours on Tuesday and then gave them a listen last night. The RCA’s are an improvement over the stock Sylvania’s the WA6 came with. Although power output seems a tiny shade less (which is still quite enough) the overall presentation is more liquid and smooth. Seems to have a bit more air and sparkle. It’s a pretty inexpensive combo that delivers a nice return on investment.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup::music: