AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Controversial Opinion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13955)

jax4736 05-09-2012 01:33 PM

Controversial Opinion

This really shocks me someone would write something like this (see bottom two paragraphs):

Does high price mean high performance?

Disclaimer: I am a recent (and ecstatic, happy) owner of Wilson Sophia 3's.

Despite measurements comparing speakers, there's something even measurements don't capture, and as an experienced musician, Wilson Speaker made me sit up and take notice. And I listened to a number of different other speakers, just for comparison.

Not sure about this article, but I wonder how many reviewers truly know the sound of live music. I know too many audiophiles who don't go to concerts regularly to keep their "ears honest".

GaryProtein 05-09-2012 01:43 PM

NO, it emphatically does NOT.

One would HOPE if you are paying a high price that you are getting high performance, but that is definitely NOT the rule and any manufacturer can be guilty of that.

chessman 05-09-2012 01:51 PM

jax4736, I am not shocked at all. There seem to be two kinds of people in the world: Wilson lovers and Wilson haters. The reviewer is in the latter camp. He invokes measurements as if they are dispositive (really? can you read about music?) and dismisses Wilsons as merely painted well. I would have been far more persuaded had he simply said (1) I have actually heard Wilson Sophia 3's in a proper setup and (2) they are not my cup of tea. Audio is intensely subjective and he is entitled to his opinion.

jdandy 05-09-2012 01:52 PM

jax4736.......This wasn't an article, rather a response to a subcriber's question. None the less, it is quite simply Doug Schneider's personal opinon, for which he is entitled. You being a New Wilson Sophia 3 owner, it is easy to see why such a blatant negative view toward Wilson speakers would get under your skin, but I wouldn't give it a second thought. Opinions are like bung holes, everyone has one.

cmalak 05-09-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 307870)
jax4736.......This wasn't an article, rather a response to a subcriber's question. None the less, it is quite simply Doug Schneider's personal opinon, for which he is entitled. You being a New Wilson Sophia 3 owner, it is easy to see why such a blatant negative view toward Wilson speakers would get under your skin, but I wouldn't give it a second thought. Opinions are like bung holes, everyone has one.

:laughin: :laughin: :laughin:

Dan...that is the quote of the week for me. Well done :D

cmalak 05-09-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax4736 (Post 307865)
This really shocks me someone would write something like this (see bottom two paragraphs):

Disclaimer: I am a recent (and ecstatic, happy) owner of Wilson Sophia 3's.

Despite measurements comparing speakers, there's something even measurements don't capture, and as an experienced musician, Wilson Speaker made me sit up and take notice. And I listened to a number of different other speakers, just for comparison.

Not sure about this article, but I wonder how many reviewers truly know the sound of live music. I know too many audiophiles who don't go to concerts regularly to keep their "ears honest".

Hal...Doug Schneider has openly been critical of Wilson speakers on many an occasion. I would not take offense. As Dan and Randy have said, it is just his opinion. At the end of the day, all you should care about is your enjoyment of your S3s and how good they sound to you, with your equipment, in your room. Everything else is meaningless. Enjoy them in good health. :thumbsup:

Jerome W 05-09-2012 03:09 PM

Dan, Randy, Cyril : very well said folks !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Rilands 05-09-2012 03:25 PM

One thing true about what this guy says is about the paint job. I hear as much about the colors & the paint jobs from people as I do about the sound.
Either way, To each their own. Although their not on my list, I may try a pair some day. I don't believe for a minute the boys around here don't hear anything less than fabulous sound coming into their ears from their Wilson's.

Still-One 05-09-2012 03:43 PM

I agree with Mike. Just because I prefer another speaker does not mean I do not respect the sound, build quality and engineering in Wilson's line-up. If the correct stars aligned I would consider Maxx 3's along with a few other speakers in that price range.

As others have stated there are a log of haters out there, and Wilson is not their only target. Just because I choose not to purchase certain products that does not mean I should trash their sound.

Jim

jax4736 05-09-2012 04:30 PM

Schneider's opinion definitely doesn't wrankle me too much, but to reduce Wilson to "just a paint job" is a contrarian opinion the likes of which I haven't seen before.

I've read about Vern Credille & the research that goes into the composite materials used in Wilson's cabinet. Wilson is wasting their time and money on the engineering that goes into the different materials if all they cared about was a "paint job".

I have some controversial opinions too...like Magico speakers. Heard the Q5 at a local dealer and they seemed dry to me. I acknowledge their amazing build quality but I was more delighted but the Paradigm signature 8's in the next room down the hall...they made more music to my ears. Maybe it was the electronics. In the same room as the Magico's (other end) was a pair of Revel Salon 2's and they sounded amazing with ARC electronics....so I don't believe the room was causing my opinion of the Magico Q5.