AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Full service acoustic designer, hopefully in Atlanta? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40167)

Weirdcuba 08-06-2017 12:50 PM

Full service acoustic designer, hopefully in Atlanta?

Ok, i'm working on the spouse about the room. I think the problem is that now we're trying to have a living room and a listening room at the same time, when we should just give up and have an aesthetically optimized listening room (my point of view obviously). I think if we started from the ground up and tried to make the nicest looking listening room possible, overall - the aesthetics would come out better than trying to mingle existing stuff and put acoustic bandaids on top of it.

I have looked around on the various sites and discovered that GIK is here in town. I'd like to speak with an acoustic designer who would think about the room from that perspective, be able to generate computerized drawings, etc. If i just start trying to slip bass traps in the corner and hope she doesn't realize, I know (after 30 years of marriage), it will be all over. I'm on the edge as it stands now with the system in the living room.

So, my madness is to start with a designer, show her some photos and designs so that she sees what's possible, and hope for the best. May not work, but there's a chance. I know there's no chance trying to just slip stuff in.

This is likely the more expensive alternative, but it's better than nothing. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations in the Atlanta area?

Thanks in advance.

PS, if you're interested in a vacation home in the Highlands, NC area, I'll make you a deal and just build a dedicated room here!

audioguy3107 08-06-2017 01:42 PM

GIK is the only "full service" acoustical treatment company here in Atlanta that I'm aware of, last time I checked their small facility was over off Northridge Rd and I-85 just south of Jimmy Carter Blvd. One other idea is you can call Alan Jones down at Hifi Buys in Buckhead to see who they recommend, I would think they have someone on call for some of their nicer higher dollar installations. Also remember Jim Smith is here in town as well, he focuses on system setup....haven't talked to him in awhile but I think he still does his room play.

- Buck

Weirdcuba 08-06-2017 02:31 PM

Who is Jim smith? I don't know him. Any idea on how to contact him? Quick google search didn't reveal anything clear.

Thanks !!

Weirdcuba 08-06-2017 02:34 PM

Just did another search - found Jim smith!! Thanks.

audioguy3107 08-06-2017 02:41 PM

Jim Smith is the "Get Better Sound" guy.....he's been in the industry for years and is one of the best resources in the world for system and room setup. Now that being said, he's not one of those guys who shows up with a bunch of computer equipment and microphones and graphs. He'll setup a grid in your room based on dimensions and do his thing but he doesn't deal in acoustic treatments etc etc. That said, he came out to my house and did his room play and the results were great (my room was already treated however and most likely not as problematic as the usual room that he would do).

- Buck

FDPDK 08-06-2017 02:51 PM

I would find it interesting to hear how things work out for you , maybe even pictures.
And i thought it was only here in Denmark it is hard to find an acustian who could advice like that, for a reasonable price :) .....most Hi-Fi people i think have to just do some trial and errors, unfortunately.

Weirdcuba 08-06-2017 02:51 PM

Yep. Found him. Thanks. I'll do some asking around. It may be that I need to get the basics of the room treated (without getting divorced) and then bring him in.

GreginNH1 08-06-2017 06:38 PM

I've had nothing but great experiences with GIK. They have been very helpful during my room treatment process. :D

Masterlu 08-06-2017 06:42 PM

Tell GIK you are a Subscriber here on AA, and or mention my name for the "White Glove" service. ;)

W9TR 08-08-2017 09:04 AM

If for some unlikely reason the GIK option doesn't work for you, I believe Dennis Erskine is in Atlanta. He does a lot of THX certified work and is very highly regarded.