AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Advice on amp for small 2nd system ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=16185)

fjn04 09-22-2012 09:10 PM

Advice on amp for small 2nd system ?

I am in the process of setting up a second system with a pair of Spendor S3/5 R's. I would love to go solid state for convenience, but my concern is being so spoiled with my Shindo gear.

I am leaning toward integrated amps, and have read good things about the LFD Zero. I listened to the Spendors briefly in my Shindo system, with the Corton Charlemagne's. The Spendors were certainly forgiving, but not a good match. As expected, the S3/5's like more power. I believe they spec at around 85 db, 8ohm, much like a Harbeth P3esr. The system will be analog based, but I have not decided on a TT/cartridge.

Wasatch 09-22-2012 09:30 PM

Maybe a Manley Stingray.

TommyC 09-22-2012 09:36 PM

If the impedance is 8ohm, a Shindo Apetite will work.

fjn04 09-22-2012 10:39 PM

I am thinking these Spendors like a little power. My guess is around 40 tube watts. My price range is in the lo-mid 2K range. A-gon recently had an LFD Zero mk 3, and Zero mk.4, in that $ range.

countingbackwards 09-23-2012 10:17 AM

As someone who likes Shindo gear but had to go in a different direction for the power amp due to considerations of amp power (and the high cost of Shindo's higher-power options), I'd suggest you check out the VTL integrated. VTL's have a liquidity to them that I presume would appeal to other Shindo guys (as they do me). Another option is the bigger of the Leben integrateds, but that's much more expensive than the VTL, especially for a 2nd system.

For solid state in that price range and power requirement - perhaps Ayre or Naim would sound nice (I quite like Naim with Harbeth, which are a similar design to the Spendors).

mbovaird 09-23-2012 10:40 AM

Would a nice used Mc275 be out of the question here?

pitch perfect 09-23-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04 (Post 368168)
I am in the process of setting up a second system with a pair of Spendor S3/5 R's. I would love to go solid state for convenience, but my concern is being so spoiled with my Shindo gear.

I am leaning toward integrated amps, and have read good things about the LFD Zero. I listened to the Spendors briefly in my Shindo system, with the Corton Charlemagne's. The Spendors were certainly forgiving, but not a good match. As expected, the S3/5's like more power. I believe they spec at around 85 db, 8ohm, much like a Harbeth P3esr. The system will be analog based, but I have not decided on a TT/cartridge.

An LM Audio 216 38~wpc KT88 based integrated would sound excellent - highly recommended. Complete with remote control. Less than $2k.

LM 216 Integrated Amplifier

-M

fjn04 09-23-2012 12:59 PM

Thanks all, I really appreciate it. I should be on the integrated amp section of AA, but I purposely posted here. I am off the merry-go-round with Shindo, and know others here are in that cozy place too. I have thought of so many options for an Integrated. As many SS choices have run through my mind, the LM 216 has always been in the back of my mind. I may be fooling myself, with the whole SS thing.

fjn04 10-22-2012 05:33 PM

I ended up buying the 211 IA. I very slightly preferred it to the 216IA, which I also auditioned. Both sounded excellent, and I could easily live with either. I just have a preference for the EL 34. I wanted to like the 216 better, because I already have an EL34 amp, but it didn't go that way. Thanks again for all the Suggestions.

Monty 11-22-2012 12:39 AM

Thanks, TommyC. I am glad to learn this info!