AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Streaming Netflix w/Roku or another device (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43203)

PMCH 06-18-2018 05:00 PM

Streaming Netflix w/Roku or another device

Does anyone else have this problem with their HT system? When I stream Netflix or any other streaming service through my Roku (their best model) it looks and sounds terrible. I have it wired directly into the internet and into the input of the Oppo 105D. I am very satisfied with my Oppo 105d when playing Netflix and streaming Netflix. I didn't order a 205 since it couldn't stream.
I am on the list of getting a 205 and am now considering having my 105D connecting via HDMI to the only input on the 205 so I can get the streaming services. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Since my projector has 2 HDMI inputs for picture I can have the 105D and 205 send a direct signal. I am only concerned with the sound quality. Presently I have the Oppo 105D send sound out through the analog connections directly into my McIntosh MX136 and am very happy with the sound quality. Since the 105D doesn't do 4K I was planning on using the 205 for that. My projector does 4K.
Any ideas. It is ok to tell me that I am going about this entirely the wrong way. Thanks.

Still-One 06-18-2018 05:50 PM

I get Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime via a Amazon Firestick on one TV. Looks great and works good.

The larger TV has Netflix and Amazon apps and this also has a amazing picture. No issues.

W9TR 06-18-2018 06:08 PM

Does the Roku look OK going directly into your display instead of through the OppO?

PMCH 06-18-2018 06:23 PM

Feeding a small bedroom TV the Roku looks ok but on my 100" projector it is not acceptable.

I will try going directly into my display to see what the picture looks like but then I don't have a way to get sound since the Roku Ultra only has 1 HDMI output.

W9TR 06-18-2018 08:18 PM

Something’s amiss as I have an older roku feeding our JVC projector on a 106” screen and it looks great.

PMCH 06-18-2018 09:27 PM

I have a bunch of older Roku's that I tried that do not look or sound that good either. I purchased the newest Roku Ultra in hopes that it would be useful to me but so far it is not worth using it.

nicoff 06-18-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 919371)
Something’s amiss as I have an older roku feeding our JVC projector on a 106” screen and it looks great.

Same here. Definitely something is amiss.

vegaracer1 06-19-2018 12:27 AM

Is it giving you an error for the Opportunity not being Hdcp compliant?

PMCH 06-19-2018 12:35 PM

My Roku Ultra works but the picture and sound quality are far below the quality of the Oppo 105D. I don't get any error messages. I use the same HDMI input on the 105D for cable TV input and the cable TV is fine. I had an older Roku connected to my 2 channel system to stream Pandora but when I replaced the Roku with a Oppo 103 I also noticed an immediate increase in sound quality. Is the Oppo that much better than a Roku? I like the idea of using a Roku for streaming channels like Acorn TV but don't want to be disappointed with the quality of the picture and sound.

clpetersen 06-20-2018 09:49 AM

Netflix on 205

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 919329)
Does anyone else have this problem with their HT system? When I stream Netflix or any other streaming service through my Roku (their best model) it looks and sounds terrible. I have it wired directly into the internet and into the input of the Oppo 105D. I am very satisfied with my Oppo 105d when playing Netflix and streaming Netflix. I didn't order a 205 since it couldn't stream.
I am on the list of getting a 205 and am now considering having my 105D connecting via HDMI to the only input on the 205 so I can get the streaming services. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Since my projector has 2 HDMI inputs for picture I can have the 105D and 205 send a direct signal. I am only concerned with the sound quality. Presently I have the Oppo 105D send sound out through the analog connections directly into my McIntosh MX136 and am very happy with the sound quality. Since the 105D doesn't do 4K I was planning on using the 205 for that. My projector does 4K.
Any ideas. It is ok to tell me that I am going about this entirely the wrong way. Thanks.

It is a shame that OPPO 205 does not support streaming - however considering what you can get for little additional money (i.e. Roku stick) - not that big a deal. My biggest complaint the the 205 (which we have) has only one HDMI input.
Here is our solution:
1) I wanted all video to thru the OPPO to take advantage of the superior processing. We have only three inputs:
a) OPPO blu-ray player itself
b) Roku Ultra streamer
c) Comcast xfinity box

2) I use an inexpensive HDMI switch in front the OPPO (Kinivo - available from Amazon and others). The Roku and xfinity go into this.

3) Output from the OPPO 205 into Samsung.

I did try the Roku as a direct input in to the Samsung but ran into the following audio issues:
1. Digital optical out from the Samsung (2015 model year) only supports 2 channel LPCM output. If you are running two channels however, this is the simplest and most stable way to go.
2. While the HDMI/ARC channel on the Samsung supports Dolby etc. it is a flaky interface - many people have issues with this. You can run the ARC output into HDMI input on the OPPO however.

So, the HDMI switch works well. I do have occasional HDMI handshake problems, but this seems to be an issue everywhere these days.