AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bye Bye MB50 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41957)

Killergurt 01-22-2018 04:01 PM

Bye Bye MB50

I really wanted to love it and it worked well for a while but I just can't justify paying this price for a unit that has so many issues. I decided to return it. I'll share my frustrations:

1. Poor DTS PlayFi app performance

I managed to get my MB50 connected (using WiFi) but the PlayFi app can not find the device, so I basically do not have access to anything but just streaming from Spotify. I really don't like this app, it is very unstable and even for the 2-minutes it did work, it does not seem on par with other apps out there.

2. Wifi keeps disconnecting

The Wifi connection keeps dropping (I have 9 other devices in the same room that connect to the same network with no problem).

3. Only one USB

I have been using a USB->Ethernet dongle to connect it straight to my router to avoid disconnections. If I do it, I can not connect an external HD as there is only one USB.

4. No display

I thought that I would be OK with that but it is very hard to switch outputs (Toslink, Balances etc). Each output corresponds to a changing-LED-color, but I can not remember what each color is. In addition, every time I switch outputs, the internet connection drops.

When it works, it's great. It also looks amazing. I have been using it with Toslink connected to my C2600 DAC and it sounds great. I am sad to see more shortcomings with this device compared to the advantages of owning one. :(

I just ordered an Aurender N100H which I hope will give me much more flexibility and just work. Will report my findings later on when I get it.

quinlanmw 01-22-2018 09:06 PM

Sorry it didn't work out but thanks for posting your honest appraisal of the MB50's shortfalls. I had been considering this unit but now I will scratch it off my list!

JWJW 01-22-2018 10:47 PM

^^^^^^^^ what he said.
I traded mine in last month towards another MC275...

For The Love of Music 01-22-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killergurt (Post 894354)

I just ordered an Aurender N100H which I hope will give me much more flexibility and just work. Will report my findings later on when I get it.

I believe you will have zero issue with the Aurender N100H.

Best!

Killergurt 01-23-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJW (Post 894468)
^^^^^^^^ what he said.
I traded mine in last month towards another MC275...

Isn’t the MC275 amplifier? What do you use for streaming/server then?

jayvis 01-23-2018 03:03 PM

Sorry to hear that the MB50 doesn't meet your needs. I honestly believe you'll find varying issues with just about every streaming device out there. Internet streaming and hi-res music is still in its infancy and is far from being perfected. That's another reason why I haven't given up on physical media sources. Best of luck in your continued search.

JWJW 01-23-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killergurt (Post 894515)
Isn’t the MC275 amplifier? What do you use for streaming/server then?

Wyred4sound bLINK. :thumbsup: