AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Is the Shunyata Delta NR a significant upgrade from stock Macintosh? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40928)

Mouse 10-25-2017 11:57 PM

Is the Shunyata Delta NR a significant upgrade from stock Macintosh?

I head a demo of Frey 2 Nordost proving that their power cord is superior to the OEM cables. Shunyata's involvement in this forum, and they're dedication to customer education and their youtube scientific youtube videos, and somewhat realistic prices compared to Nordost and some other guys has me leaning in their direction.

The alpha pics just look like an anaconda ready to swallow all my electronics. While it's pretty to see an enormous cable when it's all on display, I don't think that's what I want to try to stuff behind my Salamander cabinet in my home theater. I don't know that several alphas will even fit.

So will I hear an audible difference using delta NR?
One thing I am concerned with Shunyata's brand is their lack of silver plated cables. I haven't heard Shunyata so I don't know if I'll care, but I tend to like the sound of silver plated Nordost speaker cables.

At this point I have a lot of low end AudioQuest cables: Rocket 88 bulk wire local dealer-made cables, makenzie XLRs, cinnamon HDMI, and stock power cords. I don't feel like my cables are really hurting my system, but I don't think they're helping. The biggest hole in my system is my lack of awesome subs, and better surround speakers, but I think the cables will need to be upgraded too.

Puma Cat 10-26-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 875035)

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 875035)
So will I hear an audible difference using delta NR?
One thing I am concerned with Shunyata's brand is their lack of silver plated cables. I haven't heard Shunyata so I don't know if I'll care, but I tend to like the sound of silver plated Nordost speaker cables.

Yes.

Shunyata uses copper for sound reasons; they feel it is the best material. Everything they do has been considered and thought-through thoroughly. Caelin Gabriel is a scientist with impeccable credentials and background in this discipline. They use a very pure form of copper for the conductors.

Remember that for power cables, the conductor material doesn't play a role in influencing the sound like it can for signal cables. All it is doing is transferring current; there is no signal.

rnrmf1971 10-26-2017 12:33 AM

I haven't used the Delta, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about silver being a part of the construction, as my experience has the "sound" of silver being all over the map from bright to warm.
Try to audition a few in your price range. There are certainly cables that have some silver in their construction in the Delta's price range.
I would definitely include Shunyata in your trial, though, as their sound is fairly unique, when I've used or auditioned them in the past.

PHC1 10-26-2017 12:47 AM

Mouse, it's spelled McIntosh. :thumbsup:

JMD 10-26-2017 01:25 AM

Yes, but so are a lot of others besides Shunyata. Try them for yourself by buying used so you don't lose a bundle or try the Cable Companies lending program. No matter how many ways you keep asking the question the answer will always be if YOU think it sounds better and not what we think. We all have our favorites for now and will recommend them until we move on to something else.

Mouse 10-26-2017 01:26 AM

Unfortunate auto spell accident.

Mouse 10-26-2017 01:27 AM

McIntosh and Rotel are two unfortunate names in audio.

PHC1 10-26-2017 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 875070)
McIntosh and Rotel are two unfortunate names in audio.

Yeah there are some others. :D

Puma Cat 10-26-2017 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 875072)
Yeah there are some others. :D

;)

Antonmb 10-26-2017 08:19 AM

If size is a concern consider Shunyata’s EF cables, which are thinner and more flexible. Check their website.