AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aerial Acoustics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Amps for Aerial 7T (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27717)

Ricjor1 07-28-2014 07:42 PM

Amps for Aerial 7T

I guess it's time for a change. I'm looking for something 5K or below to drive Aerial 7Ts. "Something" meaning amp or integrated amp, new or used. I currently drive them with a Peachtree 220se. I'm looking to improve bass and have more front to back placement within the soundstage if recording permits.

Masterlu 07-28-2014 08:21 PM

Bryston amps and Aerial have great synergy. :yes:

Yamaki 07-28-2014 08:30 PM

Bryston, McIntosh MC352/MC452 two channel amp, McIntosh MA6800 or MC6900 integrated would be a few choices to consider.

Ricjor1 07-29-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 626683)

I thought the Bryston amps were considered to be forward/slightly bright?

Masterlu 07-29-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 626936)

Not a bit :no:

cmalak 07-29-2014 10:41 PM

Check out the Hegel H300 integrated amp: Hegel Music Systems - H300

http://tas.zeitpress.com/resizer/art.../?size=648,460

Some reviews:

Hegel H300 Integrated Amplifier | The Absolute Sound
SoundStage! Access | SoundStageAccess.com (GoodSound.com) | Hegel Music Systems H300 Integrated Amplifier-DAC
Hegel H300 Integrated Amplifier/DAC (Hi-Fi+) | Hi-Fi+

BlueFox 07-29-2014 11:36 PM

I use Cambridge-Audio 840W amps to drive my fronts (Aerial 7T) in the HT/spare stereo. I would buy new the latest generation, the 851W. These are true high-end bargains.

Down Under 07-30-2014 12:27 AM

Totally agree the Hegel H300 is a great sounding and good value unit even though it may be harder to find to audition.

Rod#S 07-31-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 626936)

That seems to be quite a common misconception that has been around for many many years. Perhaps there was a time in the past but having owned Bryston amps from the last 3 generations (SST, SST C Series and SST2) I have never found that to be the case. I own B&W 800 series speakers which are often described as bright due to the diamond tweeter so an amp that was bright would most likely induce listener fatigue in my setup but for me that's not the case. I don't find either the B&W's or Brystons bright, edgy, forward, etc.

Another couple amps to think about would be Classe, Anthem and Parasound.

Ricjor1 07-31-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 627194)
That seems to be quite a common misconception that has been around for many many years. Perhaps there was a time in the past but having owned Bryston amps from the last 3 generations (SST, SST C Series and SST2) I have never found that to be the case. I own B&W 800 series speakers which are often described as bright due to the diamond tweeter so an amp that was bright would most likely induce listener fatigue in my setup but for me that's not the case. I don't find either the B&W's or Brystons bright, edgy, forward, etc.

Do you feel there is a significant difference between the SST and SST2?

Rod#S 07-31-2014 01:34 PM

In audio terms that we hear, nope not at all at least there was never anything that just jumped out, if there is something it's subtle, at least to my ears. I'm not sure how much the upgrade in componets between the SST and SST2 series was intended to make audible differences. They were probably more about just using newer, more efficient components giving the amps perhaps lower distortion characteristics, etc. things of that nature.

James Tanner would be able give a good break down I suspect of the chages between generations. Ivan I believe has been a Bryston dealer for a really long time so he could probably give his impressions as well of the amps over the past few generations.

Ricjor1 07-31-2014 02:55 PM

Rod$S,

Thanks for the response.

Ricjor1 07-31-2014 09:51 PM

It looks like I'll get the opportunity to listen to a Parasound A21, Bryston 4bsst2, and Modwright KWA 150.

Rod#S 08-03-2014 03:33 PM

Post back after you had the opportunity to check them all out. It will be interesting to get your impressions. Another forum member was recently choosing between JC-1's, MC-601's and 7B-SST2's for his setup and ended up going the JC-1 direction.

clpetersen 08-04-2014 10:09 AM

Amps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 627194)

We recently acquired the 6T's - easier to drive than the 7T's, but Michael Kelly, founder/owner of Aerial, mentioned Anthems when I was comparing the 7T's vs 6T's at a local event. Classe has some newer high-efficiency (i.e switch-mode) amps available, these might be worth considering.

Currently drive the 6T's using an older Copland Integrated amp, looking at SimAudio (340i w/DAC) and some Naim electronics shortly. SimAudio was tested over the weekend, and did quite well. More punch than the Copland, of course it has a higher output rating. May look at Anthem's as well.

The 6T's/7T's are very efficient, so you don't need huge power reserves.

Rod#S 08-04-2014 03:35 PM

I used to own an Anthem MCA-50 back in the day, very good amp indeed. Bryston's ended up replacing it back in 2006, it was purchased in 2003. I kept the amp in storage thinking one day I might make use of it in the event I moved beyond 7 channels but once I decided to replace a Bryston 4B-SST with a pair of 28B-SST2's I had to free up some cash in a hurry to help pay for the beasties.

Over on AVS there is a guy powering 7T's with 5 Theta Prometheus mono blocks. It's a pretty cool looking setup.

Grit 08-12-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 627391)
It looks like I'll get the opportunity to listen to a Parasound A21, Bryston 4bsst2, and Modwright KWA 150.

Did you get a chance to compare these? I'd be interested to read what you found.

Ricjor1 08-12-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grit (Post 630092)
Did you get a chance to compare these? I'd be interested to read what you found.

No, I've been too busy with work. Hopefully I will get an opportunity before the end of the month.

JGM411 08-14-2014 09:30 PM

the sweet glow of tubes (MC275 in this instance) makes the 7T's sound really smooth, warm, and sumptuous ....

Ricjor1 08-14-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGM411 (Post 630832)
the sweet glow of tubes (MC275 in this instance) makes the 7T's sound really smooth, warm, and sumptuous ....

I don't want the maintenance of tubes!

2fastdriving 08-15-2014 01:17 AM

What maintenance? You can go years before changing a tube, unless you have it in a tv setup that's always on. And the cost is worth it IMHO. If you can afford a fancy amp, you can afford a few tubes ;)

Ricjor1 08-15-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 630882)
What maintenance? You can go years before changing a tube, unless you have it in a tv setup that's always on. And the cost is worth it IMHO. If you can afford a fancy amp, you can afford a few tubes ;)

I have it in a TV setup and it's always on. I'm sort of stuck...I love 2 channel, but when I watch TV I want the sound coming through my speakers. I would like to find something similar to my Peachtree 220se that provides flexibility, but sounds better.

2fastdriving 08-15-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 630985)
I have it in a TV setup and it's always on. I'm sort of stuck...I love 2 channel, but when I watch TV I want the sound coming through my speakers. I would like to find something similar to my Peachtree 220se that provides flexibility, but sounds better.

How about this? http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ifier-tas-204/

It runs cool, uses very little power, will last forever, and will certainly beat the peachtree. Expensive, but not excessively so. Not sure if you gave a price target. Your dealer might be able to loan you one, too.

Ricjor1 08-15-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 631016)
How about this? Audio Research DSi200 Integrated Amplifier (TAS 204) | The Absolute Sound

It runs cool, uses very little power, will last forever, and will certainly beat the peachtree. Expensive, but not excessively so. Not sure if you gave a price target. Your dealer might be able to loan you one, too.

"It will certainly beat the Peachtree." Have you compared the Peachtree to the Audio Research? It has taken me 20 years to realize that unless I've compared components in the same system, it is impossible for me to conclude that one component beats another simply because of the name of the company.

2fastdriving 08-16-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 631109)

"It will certainly beat the Peachtree." Have you compared the Peachtree to the Audio Research? It has taken me 20 years to realize that unless I've compared components in the same system, it is impossible for me to conclude that one component beats another simply because of the name of the company.

I've owned Peachtree products as well as audio research. I haven't directly compared those two specifically, but I have little doubt. There's a reason it costs three times as much.

This isn't a knock on Peachtree. I loved my Nova. I just know how great ARC can be.

Ricjor1 08-16-2014 11:18 AM

This isn't about Peachtree or any one company. It's about so many people making statements without actually comparing components directly. I refrain from stating what's better unless I've compared them in the same system. That being said, just because I prefer something in my system doesn't mean everyone else will.

Car commander 08-28-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 631198)
This isn't about Peachtree or any one company. It's about so many people making statements without actually comparing components directly. I refrain from stating what's better unless I've compared them in the same system. That being said, just because I prefer something in my system doesn't mean everyone else will.

I agree but you can't try everything. Most will have to go by reviews and recommendations.

Ivan has the 7T's and Bryston. There must be 300 different choices.

Masterlu 08-28-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 634435)
I agree but you can't try everything. Most will have to go by reviews and recommendations.

Ivan has the 7T's and Bryston. There must be 300 different choices.

Currently, my 7T's are being driven by an Accuphase E-460; sublime. ;)

Car commander 08-29-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 634436)
Currently, my 7T's are being driven by an Accuphase E-460; sublime. ;)

Powder room system?

Masterlu 08-29-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 634646)
Powder room system?

Well, if you must know ;)

http://cdn.decorpad.com/photos/2012/...3ca4757da8.jpg

Car commander 08-29-2014 09:45 PM

Lol

clpetersen 09-11-2014 05:45 PM

Well my closet won't fit the 7T's, but I do have the 6T's (very happy with them) in our listening-only room. I decided to try the Oppo HA-1 as a DAC/preamp, 30 day trial, and have kept it. Winning feature for the family was the Bluetooth app. I like the class A pre-amp and the Sabre DACs.

Also picked up a small Naim NAP 100 amp at the same time from our local (Boston) dealer, for another room (again not a closet) to drive some DynAudio bookshelf (Excite X14) speakers. At the moment, it is driving the 6T's surprisingly well, at 75 wpc into 4 ohms (the nominal impedance according to Michael Kelly/Aerial).

Looking for an amp for the 6T's, really need no more than 200 wpc; 100 wpc with ample headroom would be fine. (6T's have 90 dB sensitivity according to Aerial).

Recommendations? Prefer solid state, but will consider everything.

Also, the Oppo analog section is a fully balanced design, so balanced inputs at the amp is nice, not mandatory. Simaudio 330A is a contender, fyi.

Forte 4A 09-11-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 637616)
Well my closet won't fit the 7T's, but I do have the 6T's (very happy with them) in our listening-only room. I decided to try the Oppo HA-1 as a DAC/preamp, 30 day trial, and have kept it. Winning feature for the family was the Bluetooth app. I like the class A pre-amp and the Sabre DACs.

Also picked up a small Naim NAP 100 amp at the same time from our local (Boston) dealer, for another room (again not a closet) to drive some DynAudio bookshelf (Excite X14) speakers. At the moment, it is driving the 6T's surprisingly well, at 75 wpc into 4 ohms (the nominal impedance according to Michael Kelly/Aerial).

Looking for an amp for the 6T's, really need no more than 200 wpc; 100 wpc with ample headroom would be fine. (6T's have 90 dB sensitivity according to Aerial).

Recommendations? Prefer solid state, but will consider everything.

Also, the Oppo analog section is a fully balanced design, so balanced inputs at the amp is nice, not mandatory. Simaudio 330A is a contender, fyi.

I would look at the new NAD M-22 amp. It will give you 250wpc at 8 ohms and up to 600wpc at 2ohms. Heard them hooked up to a pair of B&W 802's. Handled them very well. Should be a cake walk for 6T's.:thumbsup:

clpetersen 09-12-2014 07:27 AM

M-22

Thx for the NAD recommendation. Will look into it.

clpetersen 09-12-2014 11:09 AM

Nad mc22

Looked into the NAD. Very promising. Comparing to a more classic design, for example the Simaudio 330A - the Sim is fully balanced and has great reserves - power doubles from 8 to 4 ohms and nearly again into 2 ohms.

The NAD just has more raw power being a Hypex design.

But, the Sim draws 40W of power even in standby while the NAD draws 0.5W. I don't mind warming up a supply when I am using it, but in 2014, we light our entire kitchen with 40W (LED).

I actually spoke with Simaudio on this and they acknowledge it is becoming a customer issue, and are working on it.

On a very different note: what about a vintage McIntosh, say the MC7100? No autoformers. Perhaps the NAD is eclipsing these older designs (?).

Yamaki 09-12-2014 11:19 AM

I have a pair of Aerial Acoustic 8's and am seriously considering a pair of slightly used, well cared for MC501's. I like having a bit more power than my speakers will demand just to have the headroom and to protect them from distortion. There are times I drive my speakers hard and I don't want a particularly robust audio spike to kill a tweeter.

The MC7100, with a power rating of 150W @ 4 ohms and 100W @ 8 ohms seems a bit light to fully drive the 6T's, which Michael Kelly has spec'd out to run 50 - 250W @ 8 ohms.

If autoformers are desirable, and in my book they are a great feature, and to have sufficient power so as not to clip the speaker due to distortion, I'd look at a MC252 or MC302 vs. the MC7100.

anakin 09-24-2014 04:53 AM

I'm planning to upgrade my system from integrate jeff rowland continuum 500 to pre/power

my choices are
Karan s270+ jeff rowland synergy
pass labs x350.5+ audio research refference 3

any suggestion ?

I had heard power karan and love it as my first choice.

PlanarSpeakerFan 09-24-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 626683)

+1

Ivan is so right! I used to have Aerial 10T's with Bryston 4B amp, a phenomenal combination.

Ken

jmw31 09-24-2014 07:53 PM

Bryston 7BST with my 7T's. Love it!

Ricjor1 10-19-2014 03:56 PM

I ended up getting a Peachtree Grand Integrated X-1. It should arrive on 10/22/14. My next step is the source(CD Player) or sub. The sub is for 2.1 only for watching movies and television, not full surround sound. Any sub recommendations for the 7Ts?