AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Upgraded from Ayre K5xemp to Ayre KX-5 Twenty short review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38327)

dbphd 04-03-2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 838238)
The problem with that is I want to shunt frequencies below 100 Hz away from the LS50s where distortion is said to rise. I bought a used Bryston 10B today to do just that while maintaining the balanced link.

Charles Hansen advised me to not insert even a balanced bass manager between the K-5xeMP preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp, so the setup is simply balanced from C-5xeMP disc player to amp. The sound is superb. I was advised it's OK to use single-ended from the preamp to subs that supplement LF, so I will be using low-pass from a Beveridge RM-3 with a 100 Hz card -- only control is level of output. I'll try to sell the too hastily bought Bryston 10B.

db

d_elm 04-03-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 840045)
Charles Hansen advised me to not insert even a balanced bass manager between the K-5xeMP preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp, so the setup is simply balanced from C-5xeMP disc player to amp. The sound is superb. I was advised it's OK to use single-ended from the preamp to subs that supplement LF, so I will be using low-pass from a Beveridge RM-3 with a 100 Hz card -- only control is level of output. I'll try to sell the too hastily bought Bryston 10B.

db

I have a single-ended Bryston 10B connected to the single-ended output of a KX-5 twenty and previously to a K-5xeMP. No effect on the balanced output of the preamps.

dbphd 04-04-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_elm (Post 840055)
I have a single-ended Bryston 10B connected to the single-ended output of a KX-5 twenty and previously to a K-5xeMP. No effect on the balanced output of the preamps.

As I understand Hansen's position, there is no problem with that unless you interpose the 10B between the preamp and amp. I had planned to high-pass to the amp above 100 Hz, low-pass to the subs below 100 Hz using a balanced 10B and was advised not to do that. Now I plan to only low-pass to the subs, staying out of the preamp-to-amp link. Does the output of your 10B go to an Ayre amp?

I suppose I could try both, because counterposed to what I understand is a zero feedback issue I suspect the LS50s would be well served by shunting frequencies below 100 Hz from them.

db

d_elm 04-05-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbphd (Post 840190)
As I understand Hansen's position, there is no problem with that unless you interpose the 10B between the preamp and amp. I had planned to high-pass to the amp above 100 Hz, low-pass to the subs below 100 Hz using a balanced 10B and was advised not to do that. Now I plan to only low-pass to the subs, staying out of the preamp-to-amp link. Does the output of your 10B go to an Ayre amp?

I suppose I could try both, because counterposed to what I understand is a zero feedback issue I suspect the LS50s would be well served by shunting frequencies below 100 Hz from them.

db

Single-ended output pair from the KX-5/20 goes to 10B, which drives a quad amp for a sub, and one balanced output pair goes to a VX-5/20 to drive quad esl 63s. The esls get the full frequency range but drop off below 45Hz. The bass is only for 20 to 50 range. 10B is set at 30HZ with second order filter. I modified the circuit so the volume control is on the low pass circuit. In my case each channel is attenuated 1db. Passive summing of two channels for single bass.

dbphd 04-08-2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_elm (Post 840490)
Single-ended output pair from the KX-5/20 goes to 10B, which drives a quad amp for a sub, and one balanced output pair goes to a VX-5/20 to drive quad esl 63s. The esls get the full frequency range but drop off below 45Hz. The bass is only for 20 to 50 range. 10B is set at 30HZ with second order filter. I modified the circuit so the volume control is on the low pass circuit. In my case each channel is attenuated 1db. Passive summing of two channels for single bass.

That seems to be the setup Charles Hansen recommends if you are using a sub, i.e., nothing intervening between the balanced preamp and amp connection and using single-ended for the sub.

db

will 04-25-2017 01:49 PM

I'm close to doing the deed and getting the KX-5 Twenty.

Man, I love my K-5xeMP but keep going back to GregGale's and others' remarks about the not so subtle difference between the two preamps. I always try to take things with a grain of salt but have been left foolish each time I've upgraded.

Sorry, I recall a post that said Ayre's prices have gone up but can't find it now. What's the current price for the KX-5 Twenty? Thanks.

Billion$Baby 04-25-2017 02:53 PM

I was studying up on the Twenty myself...reading everything I could. Some people think the "Plain" KXR is better in their system than the Twenty. Why spend another 9-10K if you don't have to? I'd try to compare both before pulling the trigger. Might be the best 10K you ever saved.

Bar81 04-25-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will (Post 843855)
Sorry, I recall a post that said Ayre's prices have gone up but can't find it now

You're thinking of the -R series price hike last month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billion$Baby (Post 843868)
Some people think the "Plain" KXR is better in their system than the Twenty.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thanks for the comedy break.

Billion$Baby 04-25-2017 03:56 PM

Wasn't meant to be a joke. Ive got no skin in the game. Perhaps the Twenty's that were Demoed were brand spanking new and not broken in...as compared to the KXR that was already in their systems. Some of the comments may have come on this board. If I find them I will copy the comments here. Did you have the KXR before purchasing the Twenty?

Bar81 04-25-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billion$Baby (Post 843873)
Wasn't meant to be a joke. Ive got no skin in the game. Perhaps the Twenty's that were Demoed were brand spanking new and not broken in...as compared to the KXR that was already in their systems. Some of the comments may have come on this board. If I find them I will copy the comments here. Did you have the KXR before purchasing the Twenty?

Of course - I purchased the KX-R just after its release and then upgraded to the Twenty years later. I'm intimately familiar with both pieces each over several years.

The KX-R Twenty is not an upgrade, it's not "better", it's a completely different preamp that shames the original release.