AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My Last Hurrah (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46148)

Masterlu 06-30-2019 05:48 PM

My Last Hurrah

I have been giving an awful lot of thought to building one very last system.

None of us are getting any younger, nor can we take our Worldly possessions with us.

So, I was thinking about something Very Special. Space is more of a concern for me, than cost.

If I do move forward, I would want something substantially different than I already have.

Maybe I’m just babbling...

DVass13 06-30-2019 06:07 PM

Something like this?

Can't seem to get the picture sized correctly on the phone :-/

j3brow 06-30-2019 06:11 PM

What could you possibly improve upon ?? Scrapping an existing system and replace .... or entirely new room???

j3brow 06-30-2019 06:15 PM

How about purchasing a getaway home in New Orleans’ garden district and outfit it with one last great system. Dine on world class cuisine, hear live music every night, and then hear it reproduced to perfection at home. I will pop in now and then and make sure the staff is keeping it tidy for your arrival [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

cdobson 06-30-2019 06:30 PM

Masterlu - I can only think of the many, many dream systems you have brokered, advised, and facilitated...islands of sound around the world.

Masterlu 06-30-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 970919)
What could you possibly improve upon ?? Scrapping an existing system and replace .... or entirely new room???

I won’t scrap anything. :no:

NZ421291 06-30-2019 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about something different- say bringing together a mint 70's- 80's classic system,

eg: Pioneer Silver Series (with racks), Infinity IRS Betas or Quads (Stacked), Transcription Turntable, Reel to Reel etc. Modern cabling/power cords would be the only exception.

It would be fun hunting down mint components or refurbishing them.

It would certainly have people talking & wanting to listen to the best from yesteryears.

I know this is left field, but I have a soft spot for classic HiFi.

Taylode 06-30-2019 07:00 PM

I've got the perfect room for you!:shadesrock:

W9TR 06-30-2019 07:59 PM

So starting with the speakers, if I recall correctly all of your systems use multi-driver arrays in sophisticated enclosures; the Aida’s, XRT-2K, XCS2K, XRT-27’s in the theater(s), TAD Reference One, Ariel Acoustics V20-something, Canton Ref 3,5; Bryston Model T’s - and everything that went before them.

Whew - Tom stops to take a sip of his G&T.

How about something completely different, speaker wise?

Electrostatics? Too finicky with placement and subwoofer integration. Narrow sweet spot. Nope.

Planar dynamics - small sweet spot, finicky placement, challenging subwoofer integration. Nope.

Single driver lowther-type loudspeakers - just no.

So by process of elimination that leaves the MBL Radialstrahler MBL 101 X-Treme.

You’ll need a bit of space for these, I think, but if you want something really different this is the right place to start.

jimtranr 06-30-2019 08:24 PM

I just checked my calendar, and even allowing for the time-zone difference that separates us, tomorrow's First will belong to July, not April.