AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   SilenZio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Silenzio, buying decision and experience (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37840)

Masterlu 12-09-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 818760)
Sorry for the confusion. I should have written "just as good" as via a Esoteric K-03 transport.
I am not ready to make the transfer to hard drive based music until the flac-files sounds better in my set up. But considering your superior transport it suggests that the N10 will surpass my Oppo 105 transport.
The hesitant stance comes from the impressions I have from listening to a 30 000 USD MSB dac+transport. It was fantastic - but when putting on a vinyl on a top notch turntable (in the same system) it left the digital in the dirt.

Sounds like your digital needs help; my Grandioso front end easily runs with, and in most case surpasses my vinyl rig in same YMMV.

-E- 12-09-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 818767)
Sounds like your digital needs help; my Grandioso front end easily runs with, and in most case surpasses my vinyl rig in same YMMV.

Well you do have Silenzio feeding the d1s... :D

Masterlu 12-09-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 818773)
Well you do have Silenzio feeding the d1s... :D

http://www.tlcgraphix.com/categories...%20Martini.jpg

:D

bigblue 12-09-2016 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 818767)

Yes, my digital side could certainly need an upgrade. And as soon as I find a way to make it sound better than what I have now - I am ready to try it out.

The system I was referring have a 30 000 USD MSB and a 30 000 USD turntable - and the latter won IMO. If it's the media it self that performs better or the source it self Im not sure.
But as soon as you get some brass instruments or a cymbal I have fond the vinyl recordings to present a much more realistic sound. Its more bite in the saxophone and trumpet, and more "metall" in the cymbals. But as you say YMMW and that is part of what makes this hobby such an intriguing activity.

Masterlu 12-09-2016 07:24 PM

Intriguing, frustrating, and expensive hobby. ;)

audio bill 12-09-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 818821)
The system I was referring have a 30 000 USD MSB and a 30 000 USD turntable - and the latter won IMO. If it's the media it self that performs better or the source it self Im not sure.
But as soon as you get some brass instruments or a cymbal I have fond the vinyl recordings to present a much more realistic sound. Its more bite in the saxophone and trumpet, and more "metall" in the cymbals. But as you say YMMW and that is part of what makes this hobby such an intriguing activity.

In my experience comparing digital and analog sources I have to agree with you (sorry Ivan, but of course this is all subjective!) I've heard digital front ends up to the $100K range but I still find the natural purity of cymbals in particular to be much more realistic with analog playback either via vinyl or reel to reel tape. Also in reproduction of a sense of the recording venue's space and presence, being most easily apparent with well recorded acoustic music. :jazzplayer: I guess life would be more boring if we all agreed on everything!

Masterlu 12-09-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 818836)
In my experience comparing digital and analog sources I have to agree with you (sorry Ivan, but of course this is all subjective!) I've heard digital front ends up to the $100K range but I still find the natural purity of cymbals in particular to be much more realistic with analog playback either via vinyl or reel to reel tape. Also in reproduction of a sense of the recording venue's space and presence, being most easily apparent with well recorded acoustic music. :jazzplayer: I guess life would be more boring if we all agreed on everything!

Bill... no apology needed at all; one visit to me and I'll have you editing your post. ;)

audio bill 12-09-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 818846)
Bill... no apology needed at all; one visit to me and I'll have you editing your post. ;)

Thanks for the invite but that would be one trip I don't think my bank account could afford! :D