AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Expensive Streamers/Music Servers/Transports - Do I miss anything? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42463)

SAPHANA 03-14-2018 08:28 PM

Expensive Streamers/Music Servers/Transports - Do I miss anything?

There are so many expensive gears to transfer digital data stream from source to DAC. Currently I am completely happy with my DAC+computer (PC, Mac, Roon, A+, JRiver, Tidal ... I use them all) combinations, but I am still wondering whether I miss anything which cannot be achieved by my current cheap approach.

Please note:
- I don't care how beautiful/ugly the components are;
- I use USB ONLY.

Audiophilehi 03-14-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAPHANA (Post 905795)
There are so many expensive gears to transfer digital data stream from source to DAC. Currently I am completely happy with my DAC+computer (PC, Mac, Roon, A+, JRiver, Tidal ... I use them all) combinations, but I am still wondering whether I miss anything which cannot be achieved by my current cheap approach.

Please note:
- I don't care how beautiful/ugly the components are;
- I use USB ONLY.

Hi Saphana...I went from a Mac Mini, JRiver to the Aurender N100H and never looked back. The difference was enough to put a huge smile on my face which justified money well spent. :D

1KW 03-14-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 905809)
Hi Saphana...I went from a Mac Mini, JRiver to the Aurender N100H and never looked back. The difference was enough to put a huge smile on my face which justified money well spent. :D

+1 same :thumbsup: mac to Aurender N100h , night and day listening experience

SAPHANA 03-14-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi (Post 905809)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 905812)
+1 same :thumbsup: mac to Aurender N100h , night and day listening experience

Thanks Paul and 1KW for sharing the views after "converting" to dedicated streamers. In my understanding, all the dedicated gears are just computers with USB 2.0 output for digital data stream. I am an IT guy, so I always have hard time understanding what makes such huge differences. Is it better power supply?

essjay 03-15-2018 05:19 AM

I run a mac with a+ into my MSB DAC over USB and want for nothing. As long as you have proper galvanic isolation on the USB interface your stream will be pure and enjoyable. That is where the majority of solutions fall over, poor isolation.

Instead of an expensive streamer, I spent the savings on more LP's :)

SAPHANA 03-15-2018 07:45 AM

Expensive Streamers/Music Servers/Transports - Do I miss anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay (Post 905856)
I run a mac with a+ into my MSB DAC over USB and want for nothing. As long as you have proper galvanic isolation on the USB interface your stream will be pure and enjoyable. That is where the majority of solutions fall over, poor isolation.

Instead of an expensive streamer, I spent the savings on more LP's :)

Thanks essjay. What have you done to get proper galvanic isolation? I have been hesitating to buy an additional device (such as something from iFi) for that, because I am not sure whether it’s another trap or not.

Robert_Anderson 03-15-2018 08:07 AM

I love my Silenzio coupled with the Bryston BDA-3. Everyone interested should really look at these. E is fantastic and Ivan can advise.

Still-One 03-15-2018 08:32 AM

Expensive?? My unit cost me about half as much as my MacBook Pro. :dunno:

SAPHANA 03-15-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 905870)
Expensive?? My unit cost me about half as much as my MacBook Pro. :dunno:

The title refers to “those” expensive ones. If you own an inexpensive one and are satisfied, then congrats of course.

W9TR 03-15-2018 08:42 AM

PC (MAC) platforms are inherently noisy. By acquiring a dedicated streamer or server form a company that knows audio, you have a better chance of obtaining a solution optimized for high dynamic range audio playback.

That said, there are ways to mitigate noise in a PC environment through careful component selection and integration. This includes a variety of USB isolation solutions and S/PDIF transformer isolators. The Ethernet PHY layer is well isolated by default. This is the route I have chosen, but I am open to seeing if I can hear a difference with a dedicated server.

I see a big downside to dedicated servers and that is long term support from the manufacturer. Just ask McIntosh MS 300 & 750 or Olive owners about that.

Tom