AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oppo BDP-83 Firmware Update (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2528)

jdandy 10-31-2009 10:01 AM

Oppo BDP-83 Firmware Update

Oppo has the latest Official Release firmware update for the BDP-83 (Sept. 30, 2009) available for download here: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

I saved the zip file, extracted it to a USB thumb drive, and followed the Oppo online directions. I plugged the USB drive into the front of the Oppo BDP-83, and it automaticcally found the new firmware files. I verified OK for each of three firmware updates, they loaded automatcially, and after the last update loaded the player turned off automatically. I removed the USB drive, and the firmware is complete. It took all of five minutes. The Oppo BDP-83 is a sweet Blue-ray player.

JFR0317 10-31-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 45249)
Oppo has the latest Official Release firmware update for the BDP-83 (Sept. 30, 2009) available for download here: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

I saved the zip file, extracted it to a USB thumb drive, and followed the Oppo online directions. I plugged the USB drive into the front of the Oppo BDP-83, and it automaticcally found the new firmware files. I verified OK for each of three firmware updates, they loaded automatcially, and after the last update loaded the player turned off automatically. I removed the USB drive, and the firmware is complete. It took all of five minutes. The Oppo BDP-83 is a sweet Blue-ray player.

If your OPPO is connected to the Internet via a LAN, you can also download the latest firmware that way, with an option to have it automatically check for any firmware updates whenever you start the OPPO up.

Hint - if you have a Sonos in the same room, you can run an RJ-45 ethernet cable from the Sonos to the OPPO and get network access that way. I'm doing that to connect my Directv HD-DVR in the bedroom to the Internet.

PHC1 10-31-2009 11:40 AM

I use wireless network to do the updates. Same with the ms300.

http://www.adcommander.com/ac/perl/a...ecord_no=10005

JFR0317 10-31-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 45262)
I use wireless network to do the updates. Same with the ms300.

http://www.adcommander.com/ac/perl/a...ecord_no=10005

That certainly works very well, also.:thumbsup:

My point about using a Sonos was if you already have one, whether it is connected to your home network via a wired connection or via the Sonos proprietary wireless network, that you can connect an OPPO (or an MS300/750 for that matter) to your main home network for no more than the $5 or so cost of a new RJ-45 Cat 5/6 cable.

PHC1 10-31-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFR0317 (Post 45263)
That certainly works very well, also.:thumbsup:

My point about using a Sonos was if you already have one, whether it is connected to your home network via a wired connection or via the Sonos proprietary wireless network, that you can connect an OPPO (or an MS300/750 for that matter) to your main home network for no more than the $5 or so cost of a new RJ-45 Cat 5/6 cable.

Good solution. :yes: I don't have Sonos yet.

JFR0317 10-31-2009 11:58 AM

Another easy thing to do if you have more than one item you want to connect to your network (for example, Sonos, Blu-ray, Apple TV, etc.), you can connect an inexpensive ethernet switch ($30 or so) to either a Sonos or a wireless network adapter as Serge uses, and then connect the other items to the switch.

jdandy 10-31-2009 01:47 PM

John.......I have a Sonos ZP90 in the studio, and had not thought about using its network jack. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

JFR0317 10-31-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 45282)
John.......I have a Sonos ZP90 in the studio, and had not thought about using its network jack. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

You're welcome!

JFR0317 10-31-2009 02:06 PM

By the way, Dan, despite having the Sonos ZP90 in your studio, you might want to consider acquiring an Escient Fireball ZP-1. It connects to your network via ethernet and accesses your MS750. It has a very similar on-screen interface to that of the MS750, and you can simultaneously use the ZP-1 and the MS750 if the need ever arises. Best news is that its list price is only $500, and we both know a good Escient dealer.

I have one in my downstairs system feeding one of the digital inputs on my MCD500, and I like it a lot.

jdandy 10-31-2009 02:24 PM

John.......My Sonos ZP90 in the living room is hard wired connected to my router and to the MS750. All the zone players have access to my MS750 music files, including the wireless connected ZP90 in the studio, and the ZP120 I use to drive outdoor speakers. Like you, I have each of my two ZP90's connected to each of my two MCD500 digital inputs. I can contol any zone player from any computer in the house or studio, from the Sonos CR100 controller in the studio, and from my iPod Touch. Unless the Escient Fireball ZP-1 offers some other features not mentioned, I don't think I need one.