AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Longer HDMI cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47976)

elbig 04-24-2020 02:37 PM

Longer HDMI cables

I will be adding a zone 2 TV and will need a longer HDMI cable probably 35 ft or so. What do you recommend? I saw Ivan recommended Wireworld Sphere in a post last year. I looked it up and it says the longer lengths plug into the USB port on the TV. That confused me. What about the fiber hybrid cables?

nicoff 04-24-2020 03:33 PM

Longer HDMI cables

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbig (Post 1002889)
I will be adding a zone 2 TV and will need a longer HDMI cable probably 35 ft or so. What do you recommend? I saw Ivan recommended Wireworld Sphere in a post last year. I looked it up and it says the longer lengths plug into the USB port on the TV. That confused me. What about the fiber hybrid cables?

Check out cables made by Ruipro. They are fiber cables. A 12 meters cable is selling for about $135 on Amazon.

PS. That cable can do 4K HDR. If you do not need that, then you can get much cheaper cables. Monoprice is a good source.

W9TR 04-24-2020 03:52 PM

All long HDMI cables have active electronics on the receiving end. Usually this electronics package is powered by the HDMI source through the cable.

The Wireworld cable is getting power from the USB port on the TV, which has much more current available than the HDMI source.

Many long USB cables use Redmere technology. I have one that works very well.

The Wireworld cables are an excellent choice. Don’t be put off by the need to use a USB port on your TV to power the cable’s electronics package.

Fiber cables are also an option and need to be powered at both ends. I have not compared them with the best copper cables so I can’t say if they are better.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Masterlu 04-24-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbig (Post 1002889)

The longer Sphere HDMI Cables are powered, and are HDMI on both ends. Spectacular cable; don’t let the low price fool you.

Masterlu 04-24-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 1002903)
Check out cables made by Ruipro. They are fiber cables. A 12 meters cable is selling for about $135 on Amazon.

PS. That cable can do 4K HDR. If you do not need that, then you can get much cheaper cables. Monoprice is a good source.

Ladd has a $6K Sony Display, putting monoprice cables on it would be a joke.

Masterlu 04-24-2020 04:06 PM

Fiber optic cables are often used for home audio applications, but they can't properly handle high-resolution audio like DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.