AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ethos vs ReQuests? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13459)

Toccata 04-10-2012 04:08 PM

Ethos vs ReQuests?

First of all, this part of the forum makes me weep when I think about my ReQuests that I sold and replaced with B&W 804s! When I got married, my wife complained that the living room looked too much like an "audio showroom"! So, I sold the Requests and bought the B&W's as a compromise. The B&W's sound fine, but I miss the transparency of the ReQuests.

Anyway, I'm going to try to convince her to "let" me buy another pair of M-L speakers, and I'm thinking about the Ethos. Are they a significant improvement over the ReQuests?

Masterlu 04-10-2012 05:38 PM

Maybe we need a forum:

Wives Wishes that make me Weep, certainly would be a good thread. ;)

chessman 04-10-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 295763)
Maybe we need a forum:

Wives Wishes that make me Weep, certainly would be a good thread. ;)

As would Wife's Denial of Wishes make me Weep. :D

mgard 04-10-2012 09:35 PM

I still like that one "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission" :D

~Mike

Mikado463 04-10-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata (Post 295728)
I'm thinking about the Ethos. Are they a significant improvement over the ReQuests?

IMO, yes, for in the Ethos (Vantage replacement) you have M/L's latest stat technology vs. that of the Request which dates back to '96. M/L's latest generation of Hybrid offerings with powered bass drivers offer far better integration with the stat panel than in the past. With that being said they are easier on amplification as well.

If your budget allows I say go for the Ethos but if a pristine pair of Request's come knocking at your door then you've got money in your pockets for more music ! Regardless they are both far superior to your B&W's.......but you knew that !

Good Luck !

Toccata 04-10-2012 11:52 PM

Thanks...especially for the painful reminder! :-)

Toccata 04-15-2012 01:49 AM

I have the best wife in the world! She relented and I ordered a pair of Theos today! Since I already have an Abyss sub, I think the bass end is pretty well covered. I almost bought a pair of Ethos from a seller on Audiogon for $3800 brand new in the box! (They are not listed yet.) But, something didn't seem right, so I decided to get the Theos from an authorized deal, which the Audiogon person surely isn't! I'll report on them when they arrive in 2 or 3 weeks. Now the agonizing wait begins!

bzr 04-15-2012 02:52 AM

Toccata, congrats on the Theos. :thumbsup: What will you be driving them with?

Toccata 04-15-2012 12:02 PM

A Sony 6400ES A/V receiver. Before I got married, I had a Mark Levinson 380S preamp and a No.34 power amp. I sold those in order to consolidate the separate audio and video systems, plus I wanted to go multi-channel. My new goal is to replace the Sony with some McIntosh gear! One step at a time...