AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2 centers for home theater? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2605)

crytklmass 11-10-2009 06:23 PM

2 centers for home theater?

I read an interesting article pertaining to center channel home theater. Since I own B&W speakers and they actually tested those I'll use those as a reference. It seems it's best sounding and more efficient to use 3 802D's vs. HTM2D or even the HTM1D. The review stated some interesting finds with matching centers. Its best to use a center that matches your fronts. Even though the htm1d is basically an 802d lying on its side the reviews showed a single 802d used as a center was the best match. Guess it has to do with the driver alignment (horizontal lying drivers sound different?) Of course most of use can't match our centers to our fronts mainly due to space constraints.
So, my question? has anyone used 2 centers? ie, bookshelf type; 805's vs htm2d or any brand? Instead of buying a center buy 2 bookshelfs for fronts. If so, did you notice a better sound or worse? Since most amps only have 1 center out, not sure how you could connect 2 centers. My guess would be to use my mc205 with a bi-wire speaker wire and rather than bi-wire a single center, run the leads to both 805's (red,black on 1-red, black on the other) and use jumpers. basically singe wiring each 805 and tricking the amp into believing there is only 1 center bi-wired. The amp just sends a signal anyway.
***whew, does that make sense****
Remember this is just an example. and I hope it makes sense. Im starting to confuse myself. :scratch2: I read the review online and now im thinking of actually trying it to see what happens.
It's alot of work just to test my home theater so I was wondering if anyone else has tried it? If I need to elaborate or explain in better detail, let me know. I know what I want to say, just have trouble putting it into words on a post. Im no writer. :smoking:

ompid 11-10-2009 06:28 PM

Would running the two 802d's, in parallel, cause an impedance mismatch with the other speakers in the array? If all your speakers are 8 ohm, and you use a pairof 802d's for the centre channel, isn't it presenting a 4 ohm load to only that channel?
What would be the effect of that?

(I don't know, I'm asking.)

crytklmass 11-10-2009 07:19 PM

I found the article:
Vertical vs Horizontal Center Speaker Designs — Reviews and News from Audioholics

ompid 11-10-2009 09:02 PM

That was interesting reading.

I don't see where using two bookshelves, side-by-side, would do anything but increase the multi-driver interference. The whole point of the testing was to eliminate that problem.

Now, if you found someone who used the same fronts as you, you could always split on a pair of bookshelves for your centre channels. According to the data, the $115 bookshelf exhibited smoother off-axis response than even the $2500 horizontal centre-channel. Imagine how good a similarly-voiced bookshelf would sound, for all your viewers. Any variation in response levels would be handled in set-up.

jdandy 11-10-2009 11:17 PM

crytklmass.......I am running two center channel speakers, one on either side of the powered subwoofer. Both speakers are active bi-amp speakers. I use a Y adapter from the center channel output on the MX120 to feed both speaker's amplifers. I use another pair of the same active bi-amp speakers for the surround speakers, as well. The front left and front right speakers are passive three-ways, powered by the MC352 amplifier. All speakers, including the active subwoofer, are JBL LSR professional series speakers that share the same voicing, wide frequency response, and broad dynamic range capabilities.

I realize this is a different approach than the one you are dealing with, but I wanted to offer my solution using active bi-amp speakers for the two center speakers and the left and right surrounds as an alternative concept to the same end results. The two center channel speakers provide excellent center channel imaging across the entire couch. With 250 watts on the woofers, and 120 watts on the tweeters, the centers and surrounds have plenty of dynamic range, excellent clarity and frequency response, while blending perfectly with the sub and two front channel speakers. Using active speakers offers some advantages over passive speakers and remote located power amps, and can provide a nice solution in some custom installations.

The stand mounted SF Cremona Auditors are not part of the theater system, and are powered by the all tube system in the left side rack, including a seperate McIntosh XLS112 subwoofer that is not part of the theater system, either. The two channel system is strictly for music.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...ystemNov09.jpg

f1 fan 11-10-2009 11:39 PM

Dan ,

very nice system in the basement. It would be very dfficult to leave this room.

Dave

jdandy 11-11-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1 fan (Post 47094)
It would be very dfficult to leave this room.

Dave

Dave.......It is hard to leave this room. I get settled in on the comfy couch, and the next thing I know its 4 hours later. There's HD television, Blu-ray movies, and two channel all tube stereo music. If I could get fed here, I probably would never leave.

crytklmass 11-11-2009 01:35 AM

WOW! That's impressive. I may need some pm's for further assistance. im not sure i have enough amps to connect 2 centers properly. but if I could find 2 bookshelfs or similar to replace my center, maybe i find a better solution for sound and space constraints. maybe save some money too. not sure i have enough amps. Im using my 501 mono to fronts and mc205 200x - center 200x -2 rears. So, I have 2 left.
I like the stereo racks!

howiebrou 11-11-2009 07:16 AM

my centre is almost the same as my front pair just a little smaller due to money constraints. If I could afford it I would make the centre the same as the sides.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...u/howieHT7.jpg

1KW 11-11-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 47120)
my centre is almost the same as my front pair just a little smaller due to money constraints. If I could afford it I would make the centre the same as the sides.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...u/howieHT7.jpg

Nice picture :thumbsup: