AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   A 3-months review/update - 100% satisfied (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=10401)

Alberto 10-16-2011 01:02 PM

A 3-months review/update - 100% satisfied

For the first time in my audiophile "career" I am 100% satisfied and I don't feel any - and I mean ANY - desire for changing anything - and I mean ANYTHING.

Everything I play sounds delicious and involving.

I've even taken to listening off-axis while lying on the couch reading (another favorite pastime.) What I find amazing is that even sitting well to one side of the room, the Mac+Shindo+Tannoy set up creates a completely satisfying and three-dimensional soundstage between the two speakers (about 2' behind and 3' higher than the speakers.)

I've been giving a lot of credit to the Shindo electronics, but the little Tannoy Sandringhams deserve a lot of credit as well. The way they disappear is stunning. I was demoing the system to a friend and he did not believe that sound was coming from the speakers because the soundstage was in a completely different space and not a single sound could be traced to either driver. He touched the driver to verify that it was actually moving and that if was them producing the sound and not some hidden speakers.

I always contended that the real test and review of a system can only be given after a few weeks or months of living with it. Well, it has been several months now and, if anything, I am addicted to this system more than ever.

The bass, mid, treble, soundstage, imaging, details, etc., are just the way I'd imagine my dream system would sound.

I could not be happier and I can't imagine changing anything. I was briefly tempted to get a bigger set of Tannoys, but when I sat down to list what was missing or what I was hoping to improve I came up empty-handed. The speakers are perfect for my room.

The biggest surprise is how enjoyable Rhapsody streaming through the Sonos is. Not a trace of digital sound, it's full, rich and smooth. I listen to it for hours on end and I totally immersed in the music.

Yes, Shindo is not inexpensive. The list price for the Monbrison + Cortese is about $20K, but when I take into account that it took me off the "treadmill" and that it will keep me ecstatic for years to come, it may turn out to be my best audio purchase ever.

I'll post another update in a few months, but I doubt it will be much different from this one ... sorry :D.

Alberto

jdandy 10-16-2011 01:10 PM

Alberto.......This is a perfect ending to the very interesting audio journey you took us on. I am happy for you.

Cucumber_Jones 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Great to hear Alberto! How about a video like you did with your mcintosh gear?

esteban 10-20-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones (Post 217043)
Great to hear Alberto! How about a video like you did with your mcintosh gear?

+ 1 :yes:

Pider 12-22-2014 01:26 PM

Did the video ever get made?

Alberto 12-22-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 660845)
Did the video ever get made?

Every time I turn on my system, I just want to listen and not review, analyze, dissect, explain, etc. So, sorry guys but no video review of Shindo.

But I offer something much more objective and meaningful than a review. It's been ~3 years since I started this thread and my system has not change one bit. I still love getting and reading Stereophile and TAS -- while listening to my system of course -- but I am still 100% satisfied and have ZERO desire to change anything.

I do feel a bit of a loss because I enjoyed the "chase" and trying on new components. But it's a small loss compared to the musical pleasure I get each and every time I turn on my system.

Apparently, many other people with the means and opportunity to try new things and upgrade their system find that Shindo is so completely satisfying that they come to a stop in terms of gear swapping. Probably bad for the economy :-).

Alberto

NOLG4EVR 12-22-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 660855)
Every time I turn on my system, I just want to listen and not review, analyze, dissect, explain, etc. So, sorry guys but no video review of Shindo.

But I offer something much more objective and meaningful than a review. It's been ~3 years since I started this thread and my system has not change one bit. I still love getting and reading Stereophile and TAS -- while listening to my system of course -- but I am still 100% satisfied and have ZERO desire to change anything.

I do feel a bit of a loss because I enjoyed the "chase" and trying on new components. But it's a small loss compared to the musical pleasure I get each and every time I turn on my system.

Apparently, many other people with the means and opportunity to try new things and upgrade their system find that Shindo is so completely satisfying that they come to a stop in terms of gear swapping. Probably bad for the economy :-).

Alberto

I feel exactly the same way as you do.

After being on the gear swapping treadmill for several years it feels good to finally be satisfied with my set-up.

I have owned my Shindo/Devore gear for over a year now and have absolutely no desire to change a thing. To be able to sit back, relax and truly enjoy the music is such a pleasure.

I feel lucky to have found such musicality in my room. Maybe a couple of Mr. T's will be added next year but for now I am totally happy with my sound.

jhardy 12-23-2014 12:29 AM

I'm also in that camp. I couldn't be more pleased my current setup. I feel at this point I'll only replace something if it breaks or just wears out. I'm overdue for my final speaker review on Audiogon. I'm just enjoying the listening sessions too much to concentrate on writing down anything except new music I want check out and buy. I do feel like I have great synergy with all my components finally and I've been at this for over 30 years.

1KW 12-26-2014 07:25 PM

Alberto how about some new pictures of your systems?

Hotzenplotz 06-16-2015 07:45 AM

Are U still satisfied?