AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Time Pieces (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Rolex (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31847)

Formerly YB-2 06-04-2015 11:44 PM

Rolex

Purchased my Rolex Datejust in 1969 and is, once again (4th time) in need of a cleaning, lube, etc. In fact, I'm quite late getting the watch in, as haven't been wearing one for a few years, which am going to do, once again. Biggest problem is that there is some "discoloration" on the edge of the face and hands, which likely means a gasket has failed.

Has anyone had any dealings with an outfit by the name of "The Watch Buyers Group" in Pasadena, CA? They advertise a good game and I'm quite impressed with their 3-week turn-around, to say nothing of their pricing. The last time my watch was at Rolex in NYC it took them 4-months, which I did not care for. Any feedback on TWBG would be appreciated.

Toobs 06-05-2015 08:32 PM

Glenn
If it were me, I would not trust anyone but Rolex to service my watch. The turnaround may be long but you'll have the peace of mind knowing it was done right. I've had my Submariner serviced three times in 15 years and despite the long wait I've been very satisfied all three times.

This is only my opinion and you are entitled to do as you wish:thumbsup:

Masterlu 06-05-2015 08:51 PM

Big +1

scirica 06-05-2015 09:33 PM

+2 I feel lucky that I have a Rolex Service Center right here in my backyard. Still takes a few weeks but they are the only ones I let work on my Daytona or Sea Dweller.

Masterlu 06-05-2015 09:38 PM

Really no different than sending your McIntosh to "Phil's TV Repair" IMHO :)

Robert_Anderson 06-06-2015 12:51 AM

I had my Daytona serviced by Rolex a couple of years ago, and it looked brand new when returned to me.

JSCC 06-06-2015 09:51 AM

Yup! Like the saying goes, no one knows a Rolex better than Rolex!

Audio 1 06-06-2015 10:07 AM

A few years ago I took my Submariner in for servicing at the local retailer where the watch was purchased. They told me they could perform the same service as Rolex by their authorized tech that has 40 years experience. When I got the watch back the underside of the crystal was actually cloudy and the watch band was making a squeeky noise!

They ended up having to send it to Rolex after my discussion over their incompetence and covered all associated costs. When it came back the watch was flawless.

I will not let anyone but Rolex service either my Submariner or Milgauss after this experience.

Myles B. Astor 06-06-2015 03:28 PM

One also has to worry about a non-authorized dealer not using original parts. That's something one also needs to be aware of when buying watches second hand. Know a few people burned that way.

jdandy 06-06-2015 04:42 PM

A Casio quartz watch keeps better time and only needs a user installed battery every five years. :lmao: