AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Automobiles (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Autonomous Future of Vehicles Poll. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46107)

PHC1 06-24-2019 03:26 PM

Autonomous Future of Vehicles Poll.

So who is ready to be whisked around by the chariots of Artificial Intelligence? Who is not?

We all know it is coming. Sooner than we imagine it seems. Autonomous vehicles are just around the corner for mass deployment. By 2025 the autonomous vehicles will change the direction of the future of manual control of a vehicle they are saying.

Vote where you stand on that topic. :scratch2:

Still-One 06-24-2019 04:25 PM

I am not sure yet. It is unlikely that we will have ~35,000 traffic related deaths annually in the US with automated vehicles. People will go nuts even if we save 25,000 lives per year. :dunn0:

Antonmb 06-24-2019 04:27 PM

Maybe not yet, but I hope autonomous vehicles will be ready by the time I can’t drive anymore:)

PHC1 06-24-2019 10:46 PM

Yeah I’m really on the fence about it myself. On one hand it would be nice to cruise the turnpike and completely relax but I’m sure it would take me time to get used to the idea the car driving itself and then trust it. :sigh: I do enjoy the active cruise control in the meantime and not having to constantly adjust it! Nice. :yes:

I can’t see it happening in the cities until the algorithms mature enough. I think there will be problems for some time. :scratch2: No doubt some cities will take longer to warm up to the idea. With all the bicyclists in NYC for example weaving in and out of traffic and between cars, I can see it being a very jerky ride with AI slamming the brakes every time :D

For The Love of Music 06-24-2019 11:38 PM

It’ll happen in full force, it’s already here.

My car keeps me in the lane, slows and accelerates, stops when backing.

Even here, when getting onto an off ramp, if you don’t take over it will keep chugging freeway speed.

IM3CPO 06-25-2019 11:50 AM

Autonomous cars are just another way to make *you* the product. The excuse will be to save lives, reduce traffic, whatever. But the real motive here is to make you into yet another data source to be monetized and controlled by big tech companies.

Still-One 06-25-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IM3CPO (Post 970226)
. The excuse will be to save lives, .

No the "result" will be it saves lives.

Cohibaman 06-25-2019 11:59 AM

Autonomous Future of Vehicles Poll.

Wait for the number of carjackings to go up significantly. Passengers will be sitting ducks when the car stops because the would be thief jumps in front of the car knowing it will stop.

Grasshopper 06-25-2019 12:04 PM

Not me.

As a married man, I already have someone to tell me where to go, and what to do. Don’t need my car to do the same.

J/K

In all seriousness, I enjoy driving and don’t really care to let that go.

IM3CPO 06-25-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 970228)
No the "result" will be it saves lives.

I am just telling you the actual reason companies are going this route. Its all about the data. They dont care about lives unless it limits their amount of data collected.