AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

nhparrot 01-12-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 751728)
Thanks for that info guys. Makes sense. I already have enough alternatives on hand that sound very good. The additional potential output tube range I was not aware of triggered my curiosity, especially about the KT120 / KT150, given their size. My SET came with KT88 and 274B, but it also sounds great with almost anything else I put in it.

Musica Amantem, This past weekend I tried KT88's, KT77's, Tung-Sol 6L6G's and some SED "Winged C" 6L6GC's with a 5AR4 rectifier in my amp. The 6L6 tubes didn't sound much different with the 5AR4 vs a 5U4G rectifier, but the KT77's and the KT88's did. Overall the KT88's really seemed to open up with the 5AR4 pairing.

Glenn

Musica Amantem 01-13-2016 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 752747)
Musica Amantem, This past weekend I tried KT88's, KT77's, Tung-Sol 6L6G's and some SED "Winged C" 6L6GC's with a 5AR4 rectifier in my amp. The 6L6 tubes didn't sound much different with the 5AR4 vs a 5U4G rectifier, but the KT77's and the KT88's did. Overall the KT88's really seemed to open up with the 5AR4 pairing.

Glenn

Right, this seems to fit what Dennis said about KT88's being better with a 5AR4 and the 6V6 GT's with the 5U4G (5Y3 w/adapter in my case), the latter a close cousin of the 6L6, which I treat as if it was a 6V6 GT. Which output tube did you enjoy the most?

I'll be tube-rolling again this week-end (2nd round-up) the GL KT-88's with three rectifiers (5Z4, 5AR4 and 274-B) and confirm best pairing. I'll also try to decide whether the 5Z4 is better for the RCA 6V6 GT's than the 5Z3 (5U4G). If I have time, I'll even try the Reflektor Plant Black Glass 6V6 GT from Russia and compare it side by side with my preferred so far, RCA GT's. At some point, I would also like to check the RCA G ST's with the 80 rectifier (shame it does not have other rectifying options) and confirm how it stands against the rest.

nhparrot 01-13-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 752796)
Right, this seems to fit what Dennis said about KT88's being better with a 5AR4 and the 6V6 GT's with the 5U4G (5Y3 w/adapter in my case), the latter a close cousin of the 6L6, which I treat as if it was a 6V6 GT. Which output tube did you enjoy the most?

In my system and my listening room I prefer the output tubes in the following general order 1 - 6V6GT ( I have Hytron's, Pope, Bendix, and Visseaux), 2 - KT77 (new production Genalax), 3 - SED "Winged C" 6LGGC, 3 - KT88 (new production Genalax), 5 - Tung-Sol 6L6G. At this point , the KT88's and SED 6L6GC are a tie for me. Need more listening to determine my order of preference, although I clearly prefer the SED 6L6 over the Tung-Sol.

Also for most output tubes I prefer the sound with a RCA 5U4G rectifier, with the exception of the KT88's which I prefer with a 5AR4. Jury is still out on the preferred rectifier with the KT77 (5U4G or 5AR4). Also, I still want to try a 5Z4GY rectifier.

When it comes to 5U4 types, I prefer the RCA 5U4G over the Sophia Electric 274b rectifier. Although the soundstage on the 274b is huge and airy, it seems to me to have a mid-bass hump/bass bloat which I do not enjoy in my system/room.

Glenn

Note: My system is a JVC QLA7 turntable with a Denon DL-103 cartridge, Musical Surroundings phono preamp, Hafler preamp, California Audio Labs CD, the Inspire 6L6 "Fire-Bottle", ProAc Response 1SC speakers and all DH Labs cabling. My listening room is small, so it is set up in a near field configuration.

Musica Amantem 01-13-2016 08:21 AM

Bendix and Visseaux 6V6 tubes, very nice, congrats! I also consider 6V6 GT's and 6L6 GT's very good. In my preliminary view, KT88's are more dynamic and have more body to the sound, the 6V6 are more musical, neutral and sweeter and the 6L6's have the highest resolution of all, just lacking some body and I feel them maybe slightly analytic.

Intriguing that you find KT-77's better sounding than the KT-88's (both in same brand as my KT88's). I've never heard a KT-77.

I'll be checking specific differences between 274-B and 5Z3 (5U4G) myself, but I already have preliminary evidence the latter is more of a sure fit.

nhparrot 01-13-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 752802)
Intriguing that you find KT-77's better sounding than the KT-88's (both in same brand as my KT88's). I've never heard a KT-77.

Dennis recommended KT77's to me as a good fit in my system with the ProAc speakers. The KT77's have extended airy highs, sweet midrange, and tight bass,.

robert_kc 01-13-2016 10:02 PM

Has anyone tried the new production Tung-Sol 7581A (i.e., the 6L6GC variant – not the 7591A) in the Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO?

SteveSem 01-13-2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhparrot (Post 752797)
In my system and my listening room I prefer the output tubes in the following general order 1 - 6V6GT ( I have Hytron's, Pope, Bendix, and Visseaux), 2 - KT77 (new production Genalax), 3 - SED "Winged C" 6LGGC, 3 - KT88 (new production Genalax), 5 - Tung-Sol 6L6G. At this point , the KT88's and SED 6L6GC are a tie for me. Need more listening to determine my order of preference, although I clearly prefer the SED 6L6 over the Tung-Sol.

Also for most output tubes I prefer the sound with a RCA 5U4G rectifier, with the exception of the KT88's which I prefer with a 5AR4. Jury is still out on the preferred rectifier with the KT77 (5U4G or 5AR4). Also, I still want to try a 5Z4GY rectifier.

When it comes to 5U4 types, I prefer the RCA 5U4G over the Sophia Electric 274b rectifier. Although the soundstage on the 274b is huge and airy, it seems to me to have a mid-bass hump/bass bloat which I do not enjoy in my system/room.

Glenn

Note: My system is a JVC QLA7 turntable with a Denon DL-103 cartridge, Musical Surroundings phono preamp, Hafler preamp, California Audio Labs CD, the Inspire 6L6 "Fire-Bottle", ProAc Response 1SC speakers and all DH Labs cabling. My listening room is small, so it is set up in a near field configuration.

Although I haven't tube rolled nearly as much, Glenn's experience matches mine almost exactly. I've gone with the Pope 6v6s as my favorite with an RCA5U4G over the Sophia. I thought that the Westinghouse 5U4G that Dennis supplied was also better than the Sophia. My driver of choice with these is a Brimar 6SL7 that Dennis supplied. I also love its flash on power on!

Musica Amantem 01-14-2016 07:11 AM

Last night I did manage to listen to the Reflektor Plant 6V6 GT's and frankly these are not in the same league as my RCA's and even Tungsol 6V6 GT's, so the Russians are out!

I need to decide between Genalex KT88-T Mk II (plenty of positive comments), KT-77's (thanks, nhparrot) or KT66's (thanks, FB) and Popes 6V6 GT's (I'm already enjoying the RCA GT and G ST's very much). I know BearCityUSA did not care much for the KT88-T Mk II, but it could be a particular system synergy issue?

The object is to get an output tube that improves body in the 6V6 GT's, Resolution in the KT88's or musicality (sweetness) in the 6L6 GC's. I wish I could afford all these possible candidates at once!:sigh:

Anyway, I would like to hear further suggestions /experiences if possible. Thanks!

FloridaBoy 01-14-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearCityUSA (Post 752650)
]

I purchased a pair of the psvanes and found them lack luster. I gave them a couple hundred hours of listening in hopes they would break in and be a pleasure to listen to. I ended up giving up and sold them. IMHO I would classify them as a new rube that does not sound great in these amps like one of you mentioned a few posts back. Maybe I did not give them enough of a break in but I only have so much listening time in a day and when so many others sound so good I found it hard to be patient. Once I pulled them out I new they would never be rolled back in.

I have settled on 6v6gts. I find them the most revealing and accurate of all I have tried. I hear little difference between the RCA black plates and the Popes. Both are great! I pair them with a brown base 5Y3 (I forget the maker) and my only complaint would be they are slightly fatiguing, maybe to accurate. I have to turn the volume down after a couple songs. I have a sub in the mix to beef up the bottom end. At some point I am sure I will roll back to some other combos but I don't know when.

Scott

Which Psvanes are you referring to?

Musica Amantem 01-14-2016 08:26 AM

I think BearCityUSA referred to the KT88-T Mk II's.