AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   CA Linear tone arms. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44852)

TWInsall 01-11-2019 06:31 PM

CA Linear tone arms.

What can you all tell me about them? Their good points, their bad points. Linear arms made a big difference in the 70' and 80's. Is that still true today? I know SME is a dirty word here. But I would love to try a TT5 on a SME 15. I just don't have room for a Innovation. Though a Ovation might work. I just prefer the suspension system of the SME. Any thought would be appreciated. TNX.

The Lost Bears 01-11-2019 07:09 PM

Innovation Wood Compact. It is still a really nice table but not quite as large as the regular Innovation.

Formerly YB-2 01-11-2019 10:09 PM

Not sure whey you think SME is to be unspoken, but the CA linear TAs look great to me. I'm still deciding between a 12" & a TT5.

Timobi 01-12-2019 02:04 AM

Owner of the Clearaudio Innovation & TT5 linear arm. I can tell you this. There would have been NO way I could have installed this on my own. The linear arms require patience...lots. And require some careful considerations into what cartridges will best fit. Working with a local dealer is a must.

Thankfully AA member and friend, Steve Lyde, drove down to help me.

Still has some finicky things about it but sounds terrific.

Formerly YB-2 01-12-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 948892)
Owner of the Clearaudio Innovation & TT5 linear arm. I can tell you this. There would have been NO way I could have installed this on my own. The linear arms require patience...lots. And require some careful considerations into what cartridges will best fit. Working with a local dealer is a must.

Thankfully AA member and friend, Steve Lyde, drove down to help me.

Still has some finicky things about it but sounds terrific.

Tim - any chance you could expand on the problems with the installation and the 'finicky things' with your TT5? Also, how about a pic or two of your TT/TA?

djcxxx 02-02-2019 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed the TT3 on my Avant-garde Magnum. Time consuming, but straightforward. I find biggest drawback with the arm is the inability to use a lifter.

BarryEcozy 07-05-2019 09:11 AM

CA Linear tone arms

So for a situation like blending two preamps into one signal, it would be best to use a Linear pot?

mulveling 07-05-2019 02:58 PM

A linear tracking tonearm is a different thing altogether from a linear taper potentiometer.

Formerly YB-2 07-05-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryEcozy (Post 971596)
So for a situation like blending two preamps into one signal, it would be best to use a Linear pot?

Can't imagine how you would blend two preamps into one signal. But, you haven't provided much info with your question.

Masterlu 07-05-2019 09:58 PM

BarryEcozy... Welcome to AA! :wave: