AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Who has found Focal’s diagram W/Towers facing listener does not image well? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45196)

techno 02-23-2019 01:09 AM

Who has found Focal’s diagram W/Towers facing listener does not image well?

Long story short, after owning these 1027S Electra’s for 6-7 years I am finally in a better environment (new const brick home). I followed the manual to a T, away from walls, equal distance from each other and listening position etc but facing “on axis” to the listening position and the soundstage/imaging wasnt right.

Today I moved the speakers in about 11” on each side, 22” closer together total, started with them facing the back wall, slowly toed them in until it sounded like Marvin Gaye in Mono was dead center and clear as can be.

Just barely toed in, they sound much better. Is this something anyone else has experienced?

jayvis 02-23-2019 10:03 AM

I've owned different focal speakers for about 20 years and have always found that imaging was better with minimal toe-in and equidistant between speakers and listening position.

Kal Rubinson 02-23-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvis (Post 954564)
I've owned different focal speakers for about 20 years and have always found that imaging was better with minimal toe-in and equidistant between speakers and listening position.

???What is equidistant between speakers and listening position?

audio bill 02-23-2019 12:17 PM

I would interpret that to mean that the speakers and primary listening position form an equilateral triangle.

Bar81 02-23-2019 12:31 PM

Yup, no toe in or very minor works best.

techno 02-23-2019 01:03 PM

I take things too literal sometimes. I should have done my homework, on axis or straight at my head they weren’t pleasing. As soon as I played some songs with them facing straight, even too far apart the center image was much more in focus.

I did a couple more measurements this AM and realized they were probably further apart vs distance from me. I am dialing it in now, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I just got my VPI Tonearm back from Steve L. @ VAS Audio, I’m about to get it dialed in and play some music. Thank you guys.

Kal Rubinson 02-23-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 954581)
I would interpret that to mean that the speakers and primary listening position form an equilateral triangle.

Thanks.

jayvis 02-23-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 954581)

Correct.:thumbsup: