AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Concrete (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44992)

shindo 01-30-2019 02:23 PM

Concrete

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all
Would there be any benefit to my setup to add Stillpoints under my speakers,subs and possibly some equipment ? My speakers sit on top of granite pilths with cone spikes to the floor and factory spikes on the speakers to the pith.These are on a carpeted concrete floor along with my subs with rubber feet. My rack system is also on concrete in another room. Being concrete and in separate areas I shouldn’t have vibration issues in theory. The two subs are behind the speakers in the corners. I’m just looking for a little insight before jumping in for little to no benefit.Attachment 57919Attachment 57920Attachment 57921Attachment 57922Attachment 58028

Mikado463 01-30-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindo (Post 951203)
My speakers sit on top off granite pilths with cone spikes to the floor and factory spikes on the speakers to the pith.These are on a carpeted concrete floor

do you feel the sandwich approach aids in the overall sound ?

Quote:

Being concrete and in separate areas I shouldn’t have vibration issues in theory. The two subs are behind the speakers in the corners.
I agree with respect to equipment rack vs. speakers but with subs right behind the main speakers and your 'layering' of the coupling between the main speakers and the floor I'm not so sure ??

FWIW, my room is carpet over concrete and my 120# Revels's are spiked right thru to the concrete

shindo 01-30-2019 09:46 PM

Concrete

The speakers are ported through the bottom . I had the pilth made to help tighten up the low end a bit, it did bring a little more grunt to the sound. I added the subs later on .

shindo 03-18-2019 11:16 AM

No suggestions ?

IM3CPO 03-18-2019 11:50 AM

I don't have any direct comparison as I have always had a subfloor and crawl space but in my personal experience Stillpoints have always added to everything vs. not using them. This has been true no matter if they are used on speakers or individual components. Be warned though; they are like crack and if you start using them, you may find yourself getting more and more of them...

Still-One 03-18-2019 02:02 PM

I think you should audition your speakers with Stillpoints then wait a few weeks and remove them again and see what you think. Like you my speakers sit on rather thin carpet covering a concrete floor. When I installed Stilpoints I liked what I heard. After about 3 weeks I removed the Stillpoints and liked what I heard so I sold them.

I think they work well for some while in other instances we like change for changes sake. We get used to the sound of our set-ups and any change makes us sit up and notice.

Antonmb 03-18-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 957717)
I think you should audition your speakers with Stillpoints then wait a few weeks and remove them again and see what you think. Like you my speakers sit on rather thin carpet covering a concrete floor. When I installed Stilpoints I liked what I heard. After about 3 weeks I removed the Stillpoints and liked what I heard so I sold them.

I think they work well for some while in other instances we like change for changes sake. We get used to the sound of our set-ups and any change makes us sit up and notice.

Great advice.

Masterlu 03-18-2019 06:45 PM

I run 6 systems on a carpet covered concrete floor. Huge improvement with Stillpoints on every single speaker system. Speakers range in price from $15K ~ $135K pair.

Same experience here in Florida on carpet covered concrete. Subs benefit equally, using Ultra SS and Ultra 5’s.

shindo 03-20-2019 10:24 AM

Thanks for the reply’s. My next question , should I use them between my speakers and granite bases or bases to floor.