AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston bit 20 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39330)

Sea music 05-08-2017 09:35 PM

Bryston bit 20

I purchased a bit 20 last Christmas during Ivan's Bryston sale. Very well made
and a sonic improvement. Although I have no need to adjust anything I was
wondering about the ground on the rear of the unit. I presently have it plugged
into a dedicated 20 amp circuit grounded off the house panels ground. My question. Is there any further benefit derived from using the rear ground. All of my equipment is running off the bit 20 and are all three prong plugs. I assumed
it was for a turntable that I do not own yet. Just wondering if further jumpers or
second dedicated ground would do any more or in fact hurt. Thanks

jdandy 05-08-2017 10:22 PM

Sea music.......Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

James Tanner - Bryston 05-09-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea music (Post 845959)
I purchased a bit 20 last Christmas during Ivan's Bryston sale. Very well made
and a sonic improvement. Although I have no need to adjust anything I was
wondering about the ground on the rear of the unit. I presently have it plugged
into a dedicated 20 amp circuit grounded off the house panels ground. My question. Is there any further benefit derived from using the rear ground. All of my equipment is running off the bit 20 and are all three prong plugs. I assumed
it was for a turntable that I do not own yet. Just wondering if further jumpers or
second dedicated ground would do any more or in fact hurt. Thanks

Hi Sea Music

The only time I have ever used the ground on the rear of the BIT was when I had a turntable that hummed and I found using the BIT ground stopped the hum.

james

Sea music 05-09-2017 04:16 PM

Sounds like good advice. Thanks

James Tanner - Bryston 05-14-2019 07:13 AM

Hello Mr. Tanner,

I have a Bryston 14 sst2 amp and 2 Dayton 1000 sub amps, plus the usual preamp and digital media devices. I am installing a dedicated 20 amp line for audio. Do you recommend a Torus/Bryston BIT for conditioning or a SurgeX for surge suppression and filtration or will these limit the dynamics of the amplifier? i live in a rural area prone to bad weather and occasional brown outs and have a whole house generator for times when I lose power.

Thanks.
JIM

Hello Jim,

Great question and one of the reasons we decided to offer the BIT (Bryston Isolation Transformer).

The 20 amp dedicated line is definitely the way to go so that's an excellent choice.

The concern we had with the power line conditioners we saw in the market was they were restricting dynamics as you mentioned and we found that was because the isolation transformers being used were much too small for the amperage require. So the 20 amp isolation transformer in the BIT is designed for 40 amps and as a result does not impede the transient response of the music.

The BIT also allows for a very low output impedance on the power being delivered to the amplifier which in turn allows for better transient response for the amplifier.

Lastly the BIT is a true Isolation transformer - not just a filter - and your gear is actually working off the magnetic field between the primary and secondary sections of the transformer. So the input side of the system is never seen by the output side. Its like having your own in house power grid. Also the SurgeX is built into the BIT as well.

Sonically Jim I think you will notice a much better transient response in your system and a much more extended sound-stage in both depth and width as well as a dead quiet background.

Hope this helps.

james

rob 05-20-2019 11:16 PM

Bit 15

Will a Bit 15 or 10 work as well with just my Bryston 4b SST3 plugged i?

James Tanner - Bryston 05-21-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob (Post 965515)
Will a Bit 15 or 10 work as well with just my Bryston 4b SST3 plugged i?

HI Rob

With large amplifiers I would recommend the BIT 15 at a minimum.

james

Parabellum 05-21-2019 07:49 PM

Just curious, what cable do you use from the wall to your BIT-20?
What are the good options in this application?

James Tanner - Bryston 05-22-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 965617)
Just curious, what cable do you use from the wall to your BIT-20?
What are the good options in this application?

Sorry Serge - was this to me?

james

Parabellum 05-22-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 965676)
Sorry Serge - was this to me?

james

Sorry James for the confusion. It was initially for OP but for sure your advice is very welcome