AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Review of Magico Q3s from UltraAudio.com... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9251)

cmalak 07-31-2011 09:29 PM

Review of Magico Q3s from UltraAudio.com...

The Magico Q3s received the Select Component award from UltaAudio.com: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php?...cles&Itemid=37

http://www.ultraaudio.com/images/sto..._magico_q3.png http://www.ultraaudio.com/images/sto...3_internal.png

VT Skier 08-01-2011 12:28 PM

I auditioned the Q3s at Goodwins, and they are unbelievably detailed. Hyper detailed. Crazy, hear more than you'll ever hear again detailed. And I think they produce plenty of bass, but it's different from the usual without the ports. But there was too much detail for me. I couldn't enjoy the music with all the information coming at me, if that makes any sense.

With tubes, they might be great, but I heard them with Simaudio (which is what I own) and the combination was just too much. I think they were connected to a W-7, P-7, and 750D, which probably don't compare to Jeff's Gryphon gear.

Very special speaker though. Technical tour de force.

I think Bill was right when he asked me whether I wanted speakers that were great at playing sound or music. At least that's how I felt comparing the Q3s to the Futuras.

Face 08-01-2011 12:31 PM

The naked pic reminds me of an empty computer server case.

cmalak 08-01-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Skier (Post 186547)
I auditioned the Q3s at Goodwins, and they are unbelievably detailed. Hyper detailed. Crazy, hear more than you'll ever hear again detailed. And I think they produce plenty of bass, but it's different from the usual without the ports. But there was too much detail for me. I couldn't enjoy the music with all the information coming at me, if that makes any sense.

With tubes, they might be great, but I heard them with Simaudio (which is what I own) and the combination was just too much. I think they were connected to a W-7, P-7, and 750D, which probably don't compare to Jeff's Gryphon gear.

Very special speaker though. Technical tour de force.

I think Bill was right when he asked me whether I wanted speakers that were great at playing sound or music. At least that's how I felt comparing the Q3s to the Futuras.

VT Skier...I agree with you. Every time I have auditioned Magicos at Goodwins I have walked away impressed but not musically/emotionally engaged. They are just too analytical for me. I don't think tubes will gloss over the speakers' basic character.

jdandy 08-01-2011 01:05 PM

Cyril.......After reading the entire UltraAudio review, I was left wondering about all those screws, Locktite or not, and the possibility of any one of those internal aluminum braces or panels coming loose, buzzing or rattling at some future time. Perhaps I am stuck with antiquated thoughts, but I like my speaker cabinets made of wood.

cmalak 08-01-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 186553)
Cyril.......After reading the entire UltraAudio review, I was left wonder about all those screws, Locktite or not, and the possibility of any one of those internal aluminum braces or panels coming loose, buzzing or rattling at some future time. Perhaps I am stuck with antiquated thoughts, but I like my speaker cabinets made of wood.

Could be Dan :dunno: Since Magico first came out with all aluminum enclosures only a year or two ago with the Q5 with similar bracing and construction as the Q3, we don't have much in the way of data as to how the solidity of the enclosure will be maintained over a long period of time but I don't know enough about it to make an educated guess one way or the other.

metaphacts 08-01-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 186561)
Could be Dan :dunno: Since Magico first came out with all aluminum enclosures only a year or two ago with the Q5 with similar bracing and construction as the Q3, we don't have much in the way of data as to how the solidity of the enclosure will be maintained over a long period of time but I don't know enough about it to make an educated guess one way or the other.

Not sure how they put them together, but Goldmund have been building massive aluminum (with brass and steel layers) speaker enclosures since the mid 90s. They don't seem to have any issues with enclosures coming loose but I would suspect Goldmund are using something more permanent than loc-tite on screw threads. :scratch2:

Jerome W 08-01-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak

VT Skier...I agree with you. Every time I have auditioned Magicos at Goodwins I have walked away impressed but not musically/emotionally engaged. They are just too analytical for me. I don't think tubes will gloss over the speakers' basic character.

+1 here.
All those details are impressive but far from recreating the emotion of the Music IMHO.

f1eng 08-14-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 186563)
Not sure how they put them together, but Goldmund have been building massive aluminum (with brass and steel layers) speaker enclosures since the mid 90s. They don't seem to have any issues with enclosures coming loose but I would suspect Goldmund are using something more permanent than loc-tite on screw threads. :scratch2:

After about 2 years of auditioning many high end speakers I bought the Goldmund Epilog 1 speakers and added a pair of Epilog 2s as soon as they were available. They were comfortably the best I heard. I have still not heard any better (I haven't heard Magico's).

The speakers are still in great voice after over a decade. I am surprised it took so long for another maker to make such rigid cabinets, there have been a few metal enclosures but none, until the Magico, so solid.

Any sound radiated by the huge area of the speaker cabinet must be making it inaccurate, though I guess can be tuned to be pleasant. I have always been astonished when people market speakers which deliberately radiate a lot of sound from the cabinet. We hear about it being like a musical instrument! I want to -reproduce- the instrument not play through it! It may be a harmonious addition to a piano or cello recording rather than be high fidelity, but it would be all wrong with a trumpet. Not many trumpets have wooden sound-boards...
Just IMHO.

bradleyc 08-14-2011 10:32 AM

A Magico rep was here in town a few Thursdays ago for a seminar at this nearby dealer. The demo music selection was less than desireable, but the magic of the Q3 held local audiophiles in a trance for hours :hypnotize: