AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Krell (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   XD upgrade anyone? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44553)

michael paul 12-07-2018 08:03 PM

XD upgrade anyone?

KRELL is offering to upgrade their recent audio equipment (for a price of course) to "XD".

Their new stuff includes the new XD upgrade of course..hence the upgrade offer for older models.

Has anyone sent theirs back yet for the upgrade??

thezaks 12-11-2018 04:41 PM

I just recently picked up a Theater 7, which has terrific sound. I might consider this upgrade some time in 2019 :-)

Dave

SalR406 12-13-2018 04:30 PM

I'm curious about this, too. I've got a Chorus 3200 amplifier eligible for the XD upgrade.

michael paul 12-13-2018 11:22 PM

Hi guys..There was no way I wasn't going to send my Krell Duo 300 back for the upgrade.I am too OCD and I wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing how that upgrade is...LOL...So I sent mine back already last friday 12/7..I loved the sound before..I can't really imagine what it will sound like after they upgrade it. BUT I HAVE TO KNOW..LOL..I will report back to you!!.They said I should get it back before 12/25

Masterlu 12-13-2018 11:37 PM

SalR406... Welcome to AA! :wave:

SalR406 12-14-2018 09:05 PM

Masterlu, thanks for the welcome.

michael paul, I hear you. Audio and OCD are a dangerous combination. It's tough to ignore the potential for upgraded performance. I hope it's worthwhile!

thezaks 12-27-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 944633)
Hi guys..There was no way I wasn't going to send my Krell Duo 300 back for the upgrade.I am too OCD and I wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing how that upgrade is...LOL...So I sent mine back already last friday 12/7..I loved the sound before..I can't really imagine what it will sound like after they upgrade it. BUT I HAVE TO KNOW..LOL..I will report back to you!!.They said I should get it back before 12/25

Did you get the amp back yet? If so, what do you think???

Thanks,
Dave

michael paul 12-28-2018 09:07 AM

Hey guys,

I sent my krell duo 300 back for the XD upgrade on dec 7 and it was returned by Christmas, as promised by Patrick B in the krell service tech dept, on the 20th.

Let me go right to the conclusion: In my system,I believe that the XD upgrade was worthwhile.

I'll be honest. I took a gamble. I've used the combination of krell amps, martin logan speakers, meridian cd players and tubed preamps for the last three decades. That is my comfort zone type of system and sound.

I haven't sampled many different different brands of amps. In my area , dealers seem to push Mac so choices are limited. Mac is a little too relaxed for me.

Initially ,before I heard of the upgrade, I thought this amp was"good" but I did get the bug to maybe try ARC or PASS.

Then I got word of the upgrade. I felt if I got an improved sound as promised for the $1400 (incl shipping) then I would be actually saving money from trading in my amp and rebuying a new amp. That surely would have cost thousands. And there was no guarantee THAT would have been worth it.

Anyway, my thoughts.

I really was bracing myself for a disappointment. When I reconnected the amp I expected to struggle and really have to focus and concentrate to hear what they did.

That was not the case. I heard "a difference " in a matter of seconds.

I hear more depth, more "natural sound" of instruments and many of my familiar recordings are revealing a few surprises.

As I was listening, I actually felt that THIS is the way the amp should have been in the first place!

Is it dramatic? No but definitely noticeable. I really do enjoy the amp more.

I feel it is not a warm fuzzy tubey amp. But,it is very revealing, dynamic, handles low impedances very well, has tons of power. I can listen with no fatigue.

I would never push anyone to spend money. This is my personal circumstance and we all have different audio systems.

In summary, IMHO,a good amp got better. I think the upgrade scratched my itch. And in the long run it actually saved me some scratch.

Tricky 10-20-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 946553)
Hey guys,

I sent my krell duo 300 back for the XD upgrade on dec 7 and it was returned by Christmas, as promised by Patrick B in the krell service tech dept, on the 20th.

Let me go right to the conclusion: In my system,I believe that the XD upgrade was worthwhile.

I'll be honest. I took a gamble. I've used the combination of krell amps, martin logan speakers, meridian cd players and tubed preamps for the last three decades. That is my comfort zone type of system and sound.

I haven't sampled many different different brands of amps. In my area , dealers seem to push Mac so choices are limited. Mac is a little too relaxed for me.

Initially ,before I heard of the upgrade, I thought this amp was"good" but I did get the bug to maybe try ARC or PASS.

Then I got word of the upgrade. I felt if I got an improved sound as promised for the $1400 (incl shipping) then I would be actually saving money from trading in my amp and rebuying a new amp. That surely would have cost thousands. And there was no guarantee THAT would have been worth it.

Anyway, my thoughts.

I really was bracing myself for a disappointment. When I reconnected the amp I expected to struggle and really have to focus and concentrate to hear what they did.

That was not the case. I heard "a difference " in a matter of seconds.

I hear more depth, more "natural sound" of instruments and many of my familiar recordings are revealing a few surprises.

As I was listening, I actually felt that THIS is the way the amp should have been in the first place!

Is it dramatic? No but definitely noticeable. I really do enjoy the amp more.

I feel it is not a warm fuzzy tubey amp. But,it is very revealing, dynamic, handles low impedances very well, has tons of power. I can listen with no fatigue.

I would never push anyone to spend money. This is my personal circumstance and we all have different audio systems.

In summary, IMHO,a good amp got better. I think the upgrade scratched my itch. And in the long run it actually saved me some scratch.

Did $1400 include new box?