AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   How many Cortese owners do we have in this forum? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25110)

Alberto 01-30-2014 08:33 PM

How many Cortese owners do we have in this forum?

My initial infatuation with the Cortese, the first time I heard it in Matt's San Francisco space proved NOT to be an infatuation.

The moment I heard it, I thought "this amp was voiced with my definition of delicious sound in mind."

Some 3 years later, it's still treating me to delicious sound 4-6 hours a day (I am lucky enough to have moved the system in my lab/workspace.)

I should add that the original F2A tubes that Matt gave me are still going strong ... by now, at the rate I am using it, most other tube amps I've owned would have required 1 or 2 replacement.

I know we have a few Cortese owners (both of the new and old version) and I was interested in getting a tally.

If you own a Cortese (or even if you used to and have moved on) let us know ... and share some of your thoughts about this amazing 10W wonder.

Alberto

JayBass 01-30-2014 10:34 PM

Have one for quite some time. Magic little amp. Not the most transparent. Not the most powerful. Not the most detailed. But has that x factor when it comes to conveying the essence of the music and its meaning. Borderline hypnotic at times.

SimonYVR 01-30-2014 11:39 PM

Cortese, but 300b

I am currently using a 300B Cortese. What a lovely amplifier. Throws a holographic sound stage even in my "real world" listening room, ie, my living room. Currently using Auditorium 23 Roiene speakers.

I have original Cetron 300bs on hand, but I am currently using a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes. I would love to try a set of vintage Western Union 300b's but they are now crazy money.

Simon

JPrest 01-30-2014 11:41 PM

Not to worry I have a dozen spare F2A's for anyone who needs them, and I count myself as a very happy Cortese owner.

adhesiv 01-31-2014 12:54 AM

Ex Cortese owner here but I do miss it tremendously. A truly intoxicating piece of gear.

restock 01-31-2014 03:00 AM

+1

Logey 01-31-2014 11:39 AM

I have the newer version. Best way I can describe the sound is organic and lifelike.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

JayBass 01-31-2014 12:07 PM

Restock,
How would you compare the Cortese to the Haut Brion?

Alberto 01-31-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonYVR (Post 575715)
I am currently using a 300B Cortese. What a lovely amplifier. Throws a holographic sound stage even in my "real world" listening room, ie, my living room. Currently using Auditorium 23 Roiene speakers.

I have original Cetron 300bs on hand, but I am currently using a pair of Takatsuki 300b tubes. I would love to try a set of vintage Western Union 300b's but they are now crazy money.

Simon

I must be an ignoramus, I didn't even know that there was a 300B Cortese. That's such a great tube I am not surprised it throws an amazing sound stage.

Alberto

Alberto 01-31-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBass (Post 575688)
Have one for quite some time. Magic little amp. Not the most transparent. Not the most powerful. Not the most detailed. But has that x factor when it comes to conveying the essence of the music and its meaning. Borderline hypnotic at times.

It definitely has an X factor. Not one that everyone would like or appreciate; but for me "X marks the spot".

Alberto