AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   4K all the way (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42829)

jdandy 04-27-2018 02:16 PM

4K all the way

It is apparent to me that I have some self-control issues. Take my interest in 4K television as an example. I started out thinking it was time to upgrade the living room TV from a 52" 1080P set. After some procrastination, which I'm fairly good at, I decided to purchase a new 65" Sony 4K television and an Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. That's a nice upgrade for the living room. When I got to the store to buy the 65" television I could not resist the urge to upgrade the 42" bedroom TV while I was at it, so I also bought a 49" Sony 4K set for the bedroom. Okay, now all is well. I got everything installed and was thoroughly impressed with the 4K televisions. A couple weeks went by and I kept thinking about the 52" Sony 1080P television in the studio, so like a house of cards in a stiff breeze I crumbled and purchased a 55" Sony 4K set for the studio and ordered another Oppo UDP-203 to go with it. Things are looking good, but something was still nagging at me. Things were not quite 100% complete, that is until today when my third Oppo UDP-203 arrived for the bedroom. Finally, the cherry on top. I am now enjoying 4K TV and Ultra Blu-ray discs in the living room, the bedroom, and the studio.

Phew, I think I'm good, at least for a little while. :p

Cohibaman 04-27-2018 02:58 PM

4K all the way

:roflmao:

Chalk that up as payback for all the times your reviews and recommendations made us buy stuff we didn’t even know existed.

jdandy 04-27-2018 03:19 PM

Mike.......Touché.

jdandy 04-27-2018 05:39 PM

Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K version of Passengers. In the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she noticed and was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't seem to concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she has become aware of just what 4K is capable of delivering on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, HDR black levels, and picture clarity are exceptional.

audioguy3107 04-27-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 912952)
Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K version of Passengers. In the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she noticed and was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't seem to concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she has become aware of just what 4K is capable of delivering on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, HDR black levels, and picture clarity are exceptional.

Enjoy the 4K Dan......when my wife notices positive differences in audio video quality, that’s how I know I’ve made a quality purchase since she doesn’t really care all that much!

- Buck

Sharp 1080 04-27-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 912952)

jdandy,

You picked a great movie for your wife to view. The opening scene with the flyby shows how good 4K and HDR can look when done properly. Pacific Rim is another good HDR demo however, I don't know if your wife will like it.

V Sharp

chessman 04-28-2018 12:38 PM

Dan, I recently got on the 4K/HDR train myself (Sony projector/LG TV) and I completely agree with you - the bang for the buck is definitely there. :thumbsup:

bart 04-28-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 912929)
:roflmao:

Chalk that up as payback for all the times your reviews and recommendations made us buy stuff we didn’t even know existed.

Hahaha, ain't that the truth! :D

damacman 05-02-2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 (Post 912964)
jdandy,

You picked a great movie for your wife to view. The opening scene with the flyby shows how good 4K and HDR can look when done properly. Pacific Rim is another good HDR demo however, I don't know if your wife will like it.

V Sharp

Not yet seen it, and it's in Atmos to boot! Should I snag a copy?

W9TR 05-03-2018 09:04 PM

Yes!