AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   My Stereo Sounds Better & Worse At Time... Any Theories Why ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43404)

GaryProtein 07-19-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 923761)
I have noticed that sometimes I go down to listen and am disappointed with the sound, it is almost like the magic is gone, music almost sounds flat. The imaging is still there but the bass is not how I rememebered it ? Other times I go down and everything sounds wonderful. This occurs without any physical changes to the speakers or system configuration. The other day I went down to listen and again something sounded wrong. I ended up moving my speakers a few inches here and there, leaning forward in my listening chair, sitting back, trying to see if I could capture a better listening level but it was not to be, so I shut everything down and have not been back down for a few days. I am going to give it a try later on today. Anyone else experience this phenomenon ?

We, the LISTENERS are the greatest variable in how a system sounds.

It's sad, but true.

nicoff 07-19-2018 03:26 PM

If one extrapolates from what is been said by many here, all listening sessions are subjective and prone to biases of whatever source.
That cable that you loved last week? It sounds awful this week and may sound great again the week after. Maybe the “it is all in the mind” statement is not too far off. [emoji1]

62caddy 07-19-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 923795)
We, the LISTENERS are the greatest variable in how a system sounds.

We have a winner. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 07-19-2018 03:36 PM

FWIW, I have many different systems as everyone knows. I can honestly say, I have never experienced any system sounding better/worse at any given day/time.

1KW 07-19-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 923792)
David.......Is your Aurender N100H music server powered by your PS Audio Power Plant Premier? If I remember correctly, you have the N100H installed in the built in bookcase opposite where your audio gear is installed. I assume your Power Plant Premier powers the audio gear in the case on the right, but I also assume the Aurender N100H is not being powered by the PPP. If this is the case, it may be that at certain times of the day there is more harmonic distortion on your house AC power that the N100H is subject to. At other times, perhaps late in the evenings when there is less load on the grid, there is less harmonic distortion on the AC power, and this allows the N100H to sound better. I am only speculating, but if the Aurender N100H music server is not being fed with clean power from the PPP, that may have some impact on system performance and may contribute to what you are experiencing.

Another possibility may be the tubes in your C2300 preamplifier. Perhaps the line stage tubes need to be replaced. It may be time for a new pair of Gold Lion 12AX7 / B759 / ECC83 gold pin tubes.

My tubes are 8 years old so it is possible that this has something to do with it. I may try using the D1100 as my pre amp. / DAC.

1KW 07-19-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVass13 (Post 923791)
Not sure if the post was in any way related to this, but Steve Guttenberg wrote a piece for Stereophile just last week on this topic:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magic-moment

He also posted a YouTube video on the topic this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHelEOHjtH4

Interesting...
I notice it listening to the same music. Sometimes I hear a hash sound, may be my tubes are going in the C2300.

jdandy 07-19-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 923815)
My tubes are 8 years old so it is possible that this has something to do with it. I may try using the D1100 as my pre amp. / DAC.

David.......Send a PM to Bob (vintage_tube). He is Audio Aficionado's official tube vendor. He will beat all other tube seller's pricing on a pair of new gold pin Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes. They are a snap to install, and you will be very pleased with their performance. Heck, buy four and replace your moving coil tubes at the same time. It's a small price for big performance.

2fastdriving 07-19-2018 05:08 PM

I find it fascinating that this doesn't happen to everyone. I think that for me, even my MOOD can affect how I'm hearing my system.

I find the same thing with wine taste. If I'm in a great mood, with good company, a certain wine might taste awesome, but not as good under different circumstances.

Catcher10 07-19-2018 05:14 PM

It happens to me on occasion, but I think it is mainly because I am really not in the mood to listen intently.
Also since my listening room is in lower level there is no interruptions, nobody is down there doing anything, there are zero distractions for me and I can listen as low or loud as I want......I think this allows my mind and ears to be very clear, so it does not happen very often.

nicoff 07-19-2018 05:36 PM

This could be the grounds for an experiment to be done by a techie kind of Audiophile. Take measurements of the system when everything is sounding great. Then take the same measurements when things sound s*itty.
Do they look different?
- If yes, then you know that something needs fixing.
-If not, then it is all in your head!