AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   New CLX Art Speakers IN THE HOUSE... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42137)

Timobi 02-08-2018 10:15 PM

New CLX Art Speakers IN THE HOUSE...

So most of you know my Audio Journey…Lots of 'upgrades'. Some of it gradually and some quickly :) I upgraded just about everything in my system. Cables/interconnects/power etc.. next.

I loved the Martin Logan 13a’s. In fact I enjoyed them so much I wanted more of it! Was able to demo a pair of Martin Logan CLX Art speakers in Milwaukee last October and was in Audio Bliss. It was the best 2 channel experience of my life. :thumbsup:

During that trip I met up with a local dealer and BOOM. Secured a great deal to trade my almost new 13’s for a new set of CLX Art Electrostatics. AND for a pair of ML Balanced Force 212 subs.

So I’ve been without 2 channel audio since the first of December! :no: I knew they were hand made so really no hurry and it gave me time to save the $$.

I’ll update this thread with pics but for now here's a teaser…

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4566 Buddy Adam helped me get them in.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4567

Yea BIG and HEAVY :)

Got them all hooked up. Took some time. Only had them connected for just a little over a day and so far so good. Did the ML custom filters that marry the subs and the CLX. Trying to not do much critical listening until they break in.;)

I'll post updates with actual gear pics and some brief summaries. Its going to be a FUN ride!

Quick impressions so far? HOLY MOLY these are SO GOOD :)

vintage_tube 02-08-2018 10:23 PM

Congrats Tim -- can't wait to see a pic of them in your room. Don't you just love delivery day.

Best to you Sir,

Bonb

Rojet2015 02-08-2018 10:27 PM

I have always wanted to hear these CLX panels. I still have my reQuests from the 1990’s in my collection. Enjoy.

W9TR 02-08-2018 10:48 PM

Congrats Tim!

audio bill 02-08-2018 11:13 PM

Congrats Tim! Did you get the ML PBK Room Correction kit with microphone and software? It's a nominal fee option with their subs which is highly recommended, it makes a big difference in getting a smoother room response.

j3brow 02-08-2018 11:20 PM

Tim, so glad you are back up and running, 2 months is a long to wait but I’m sure the payoff is coming through in spades. Can’t wait to see the near speakers in your room.

gadawg 02-09-2018 09:00 AM

Can't wait to see the pics of the final setup! I have a pair of the 212's and I think you'll love them!!! The CLX Arts are very special speakers and I think the very best of what Martin Logan has produced. Congrats!

George

tweet 02-09-2018 09:45 AM

Tim,
Congratulations. Two months with no sound is way too long. Happy listening! :thumbsup:

Timobi 02-09-2018 02:53 PM

You guys are awesome! I love this forum. Really do. Everyone is truly supportive and helpful and you can feel the genuine joy that is shared when others are doing stuff for their system.

AWESOME.

Yea while I am work I have the system jamming to a playlist on shuffle :) Got a PBK kit on the way. Bought one last fall for the 13s but dangit cant find it. :( So that will certainly help with the room and bass response.

Pics coming but don't judge! :no: I need some kind of art behind the gear AND some diffusors as well. And still working on the best way to display the components. What I wanted won't work :scratch2:

We can all appreciate that this is a journey...

Thanks again for the kind remarks.

2fastdriving 02-09-2018 03:15 PM

Awesome! now lets see some pics OUT of the boxes :thumbsup:

SL1800 02-09-2018 05:04 PM

Can’t wait for you to get them dialed in!!!

Timobi 02-12-2018 02:15 AM

So...I have about 55 hours on these so far...and I am LOVING the sound. The CLX electrostatics are simply stunning. And these subs are SO musical and totally blows the "musical' sub can't produce prodigious bass myth! WRONG. I was wrong. Good Lordy last night I had to find about 100 room rattles. :D

The sound is large and truly transports you to the studio. I think these CLX speakers have the perfect marriage of intimate transparency and yet can play loud effortlessly. These are not the delicate Electrostatics of old.

And I only had about 50 hours or so on the new MC601's before I sold the 13a's. So in some ways my entire rig is breaking in.

I purchased some Stillpoints Ultra SS to go under the 13a's but never used them on the 13s since they were about to be sold so Ivan is sending me different adapters for those. I know they Ultra SS will be GREAT.

Also, I know the wires in the back are HORRID! Thats the next thing. Organize the cabling and wires. Its bad lol...And thinking some GIK diffusors behind the speakers and some cool art above the TT. Another project is to put the hallway door back on.

The audio rack is not a permanent solution...I'm super picky. What I want is more than I can afford. So I'm going to wait until I can! For now this is fine.

A few pics...

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4576

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4577

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4578

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4579

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4580

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=4581

:hphones:

timm 02-12-2018 09:34 PM

Spectacular!! I have heard Mac n Logan. Me likey. I can't imagine those subs. I really like the black trim w your system.

Timobi 02-12-2018 09:43 PM

Thx Timm! Well the silver sony kind of sticks out :) BUT I am possibly eyeing a Bricasti M1-SE with network card (thats a mouthful). Can't afford it now. Going to Axpona and checking things out. For now, the Sony HDD is fine. Actually the C1100 tube preamp is so good its elevated that unit since the Sony has a built in DAC and therefore only analogue out (XLR)...

If you are game and want to make a trek down to North Louisiana, you are more than welcome!

SL1800 02-12-2018 10:18 PM

Congrats Tim on creating a first class system!!

pigman 02-12-2018 11:08 PM

Nice set up,enjoy.
Aaron

Msegal 02-13-2018 12:27 AM

That is a glorious system.

I really love the sound of ML electrostatic speakers.
I have heard the big ML subs and they play deep and loud.
I look forward to your experience in setting up and integrating the subs with the panels.
It has always been a problem for me with any of ML’s hybrid speakers.

Regardless, I think you will have countless hours of sheer joy and pleasure listening to that system.
Congratulations![emoji323][emoji322][emoji324][emoji898]

timm 02-13-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 899129)
Thx Timm! Well the silver sony kind of sticks out :) BUT I am possibly eyeing a Bricasti M1-SE with network card (thats a mouthful). Can't afford it now. Going to Axpona and checking things out. For now, the Sony HDD is fine. Actually the C1100 tube preamp is so good its elevated that unit since the Sony has a built in DAC and therefore only analogue out (XLR)...

If you are game and want to make a trek down to North Louisiana, you are more than welcome!

Oh sounds like fun. But that work thing. Hey - consider a psaudio directstream as well - I'm sure you will find one at Axpona. You can usually find new at nice discounts. Btw - I didn't even see the Sony !! Too busy looking at the 601s?? The pre ... the TT and the CLX and.... haha

Timobi 02-13-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 899135)
Congrats Tim on creating a first class system!!

Thank you Steve! I have to admit when I sit down to listen. I get that little grin that only a great audio setup can bring. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 899172)
That is a glorious system.

I really love the sound of ML electrostatic speakers.
I have heard the big ML subs and they play deep and loud.
I look forward to your experience in setting up and integrating the subs with the panels.
It has always been a problem for me with any of ML’s hybrid speakers.

Regardless, I think you will have countless hours of sheer joy and pleasure listening to that system.
Congratulations!

Thx Msegal...yes I had trouble getting the bass right with the hybrids. Granted I didn't have those 212 subs either. So not a true fair fight. But I also considered the 15's but after doing a back to back comparison. The CLX to me, was by far the winner. And with the ML special custom filter for this marriage? Its a happy marriage. :)

I ordered a new PBK kit since I can't find mine so that will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 899178)
Oh sounds like fun. But that work thing. Hey - consider a psaudio directstream as well - I'm sure you will find one at Axpona. You can usually find new at nice discounts. Btw - I didn't even see the Sony !! Too busy looking at the 601s?? The pre ... the TT and the CLX and.... haha

hey Timm, reading about the PS Audio this morning. GREAT reviews too. Thx!

j3brow 02-13-2018 10:17 PM

Tim,

Fantastic! The CLX, McIntosh gear, and subs are some serious eye candy. No doubt it sounds even better. The only thing I would change is the Aggie wear reflecting in the otherwise beautiful C1100 🤪 ...... if I ever find myself up in North Louisiana, I will be like a moth to a flame, gotta hear those speakers someday.

Timobi 02-14-2018 12:54 AM

Thx Jason!!! We've chatted a bunch the past few months so you were a part of this Audio Journey as well. Thx for the great advice and honesty as well. :)

Hahahah on the Texas A&M gear! Yes, I'm a huge Aggie ;)

You definitely gotta come up to Monroe soon.

GaryProtein 02-14-2018 01:10 AM

Very good choice!

You will enjoy this for a long time!

Timobi 02-14-2018 09:27 AM

Thank you Gary and yeah, your system is AMAZING as well. Thank you :tresbon:

michael paul 02-14-2018 03:38 PM

timboli.. awesome setup.. i have 13a's and i am very happy with my setup.

just curious. how does the clx sound sans subs?

mike

Timobi 02-14-2018 04:45 PM

Hey Michael,
Well funny you asked as the first day I had the subs off accidentally. What surprised me was how much bass the CLX does produce. BUT , only down to about 50hz. While one could be ok without a sub I guess, It just sounds so much more full with the Balanced Force subs. I actually didn't need 2 subs! But I got 2 anyway. :)

NZ421291 02-14-2018 05:42 PM

Awesome system- 2 subs is better than 1!!

SCAudiophile 02-15-2018 07:04 AM

Congratulations...looks amazing!!!

Timobi 02-15-2018 12:26 PM

Thank you! I am loving it...its actually surpassed my expectations. And that is saying something. :)

audioguru 02-15-2018 01:59 PM

Tim - congratulations. The new CLX paired with the BF subs are pretty much state of the art. Amazing looking setup. Where do you go from here?? ;)

Timobi 02-15-2018 05:08 PM

Thx Andrew! Well hmm..interconnects? Power cords etc...More Stillpoints :)

No the next item is a DAC/Streamer. Just not sure. Going to Axpona in April.

The Stillpoints Ultra SS adapters arrived yesterday so I will attach those this weekend. WITH HELP. :yes:

I will say this. My cables are just so-so vs the really costly ones. So I have mid tier Audioquest everywhere but Mogami XLR from Subs to Preamp. Stock Power cords. All sounds fabulous so I'm sure that it can get even better. That discussion usually gets heated and sensitive LOL so we'll avoid that topic on this thread! :) My Martin Logan dealer in Milwaukee is pretty freaking awesome though and is going to make a trip down to New Orleans soon and is going to stop by Monroe for a day or so and bring down some Nordost stuff. God Help Me! :no: BUT the system would really have to be truly noticeable uptick to spring the $$ for that.

Another project is a better looking audio rack. What am I using now is just some recycled stuff I had. It's fine for now. But I have my eye on something a bit sleeker.

With my CLX out about 4 feet from the wall, Diffusors for Bipole type speakers isn't as important but I need something (art etc..) above the rack and wall. You guys have any suggestions? I need something there.

Again thanks for all the nice remarks. Can't deny its pretty dang cool. :smoking:

Timobi 02-26-2018 11:03 PM

Want to update. I have close to 180 hours so far on the CLX and now about 230 hours on the MC601's.

Loving these things! In the past week though I moved my entire living room around & the big 75 inch TV and Home Theater is now OUT. Was just way too much in this room. It looked like a Circuit City room! So I made one of the extra bedrooms the HT.

The 'new' living room is now much more cozy and intimate. AND everything sounds better and in some weird way, the room feels more personal. I know...weird. ;)

Wanted to break in these CLX and subs before performing the PBK kit. Doing that this week. Expecting that to improve the bass. Its good now. A tad on the too much bass side. :)

I also switched to XLR cables from the Sony HAP Z1ES to the Mac C1100...I like it. A tad warmer (different cable brand) but it sounds very pleasing.

These CLX Art Electrostatics have surpassed my expectations so far.

timm 02-27-2018 06:13 PM

Makes sense to me. I did something similar and ended up liking the HT in the smaller room better as an added bonus. Nothing like having the ginormous screen seem more ginormous. !! ;)

Timobi 02-28-2018 12:08 AM

Hahaha true!

keef 02-28-2018 10:55 AM

Congrats on a excellent job putting your system together. Those speaks have me drooling on my keyboard!

Timobi 02-28-2018 01:03 PM

thank you keef! :) :)

Sharp 1080 02-28-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 902145)
Makes sense to me. I did something similar and ended up liking the HT in the smaller room better as an added bonus. Nothing like having the ginormous screen seem more ginormous. !! ;)

+3 :thumbsup:

Timobi 03-01-2018 02:23 PM

Well I finally performed the PBK software. Truly helped tighten up the bass. But in doing that it was also a tad too loud. So I lowered the gain. Pretty amazing software. Was a doubter prior to doing this. But no more.

I waited to perform the software until I had enough break in hours. Have about 200. :)

So now all thats really left is to sit back and just enjoy. I know the journey never ends. I need other things like room acoustic treatments/better interconnects/ and another $20K in funds :D

Timobi 03-12-2018 12:25 PM

Little update. Made some cosmetic changes to the room that improved the sound.

Next few days going to experiment a bit with using both the 4ohm & 8ohm taps. With my previous Martin Logan 13's I preferred the 8ohm using the McIntosh MC452. Not that the 4ohm sounded bad; I just felt there was a little more air and openness to the sound with the 8.

From the very beginning of these CLX I've used the 4ohm exclusively so far paired with the MC601. Just figured it would be better for the hungrier CLX. Sounds amazing! But still worth a try to experiment.

I did this a little last night but we then we resumed our Netflix Narcos addiction :) :)

Thoughts?

Zelpheri 04-28-2018 12:49 PM

Spectacular!!

gadawg 04-28-2018 10:25 PM

Congrats on a world class system and the best sounding speakers I believe Martin Logan has ever made. CLXs are amazing!!!