AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PPP Nudie...half of the unit is empty space ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=220)

JemHadar 04-12-2009 03:23 PM

PPP Nudie...half of the unit is empty space ?

Lifted this picture from the "Replacing power cartridge Power Plant Premier" manual

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1239563031

Lifted this picture from 6moons

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1239563049

If you look at all the pictures from the manual...it is obvious that half the unit is empty space...and of course it shouldn't matter as long as the unit does what it is supposed to do.

However the exploded picture does suggest a symmetrical design with separate transformers, hence separate powersupplies to power the powerrails to each bank of outputtransistors, something you'd expect from a unit that needs to sustain 1200VA (US) 1500VA (Europe/Asia)...but this obviously is not the case.

Connecting a poweramp to the PPP suddenly seems like a stretch.
...or is it just me being :banana:

Masterlu 04-12-2009 03:25 PM

Serge ran everything including his two MC501's through it effortlessly.

BTW, it weighs 42 lbs.

Masterlu 04-12-2009 03:28 PM

Personally, I run 24 components through mine. In fact everything but my amps & projector. :yes:

PHC1 04-12-2009 03:34 PM

I even run my Lamm M1.2s through it which draw 350w each and that's at idle.... :smoking:

j3brow 04-12-2009 06:14 PM

no problems here running CDP, TT, preamp, amp....MC402.

jdandy 04-12-2009 07:00 PM

Using the Kill-A-Watt P3 meter I measured the current draw of the Power Plant Premier with the C1000C/P, MS750, MCD500, MR85, and Sonos ZP90 all turned on, and plugged into the PPP. I had 1.9 amps current draw from the wall outlet.

Just to see what a MC501 draws at idle, no signal, the amp drew .46 amp. I put some music on, turned up the volume to 50 watt peaks on the MC501's meter, and the current draw peak was 1.9 amps. I raised the volume to 200 watts peaks on the MC501's meter, and the current draw peak was 3.4 amps.

Using the single amplifier current number of 3.4 amps, doubling it for two amplifiers, and adding the current load from the preamp and sources brings the total PPP connected load to 8.7 amps/1044 watts. If you are not continuously driving your amps to 200 watts peak output on the meters, the current load on the PPP will be less. Even using these numbers, the PPP reserve current output headroom is 30% of it's total rated output of 1500 watts.

I do not have my MC501's plugged into the PPP, primarily because I operate the amps on a seperate dedicated circuit, seperate from the source dedicated circuit. The thing is, I could add the amps to the PPP if I wanted without fear of overloading the AC regenerator amplifier circuits.

jdandy 04-12-2009 08:49 PM

After being jogged by the post from Jacques today to retest the PPP load current measurements, see the Power Plant Review post #47 for corrections (thanks Jacques, it helped me catch my error), I am now considering a second Power Plant Premier to use on my other dedicated circuit for the power amplifiers. Since I now know that the MC501 draws less than 5 amps up to 300 watts peak output, I am comfortable the PPP can handle 10 amp loads (two amplifiers) in stride. And since I usually don't listen to music with the volume higher than 50 watts peak output, another Power Plant Premier on it's own dedicated circuit just for the amps might be in the near future.

Masterlu 04-12-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 3256)
After being jogged by the post from Jacques today to retest the PPP load current measurements (thanks Jacques, it helped me catch my error), I am now considering a second Power Plant Premier to use on my other dedicated circuit for the power amplifiers. Since I now know that the MC501 draws less than 5 amps up to 300 watts peak output, I am comfortable the PPP can handle 10 amps (two amps) in stride. And since I usually don't listen to music with the volume higher than 50 watts peak output, another Power Plant Premier on it's own dedicated circuit just for the amps might be in the near future.

Somehow, I just knew this might happen. :whistle:

Masterlu 04-12-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 3256)
After being jogged by the post from Jacques today to retest the PPP load current measurements (thanks Jacques, it helped me catch my error), I am now considering a second Power Plant Premier to use on my other dedicated circuit for the power amplifiers. Since I now know that the MC501 draws less than 5 amps up to 300 watts peak output, I am comfortable the PPP can handle 10 amps (two amps) in stride. And since I usually don't listen to music with the volume higher than 50 watts peak output, another Power Plant Premier on it's own dedicated circuit just for the amps might be in the near future.

If it makes you feel any better, up in the Cape I plan on using a PPP on every MC1.2KW I use. Imagine two racks full of PPP's.

My name is Ivan and I am an Audioholic... :pg2:

-E- 04-12-2009 10:40 PM

With you, amigo, it is VERY EASY to imagine... since I'm sure we'll have plenty of pics soon enough.