AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

bearcity 09-21-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 980311)
I'm pretty certain this is a pic of my amp which I ordered up about 5 months ago! The power switch is the tell! I've been out of the US for that time and am finally back and wanting to get my hands on it.

Emailed Dennis last night and I'm hoping to have it this week! He says it's been his reference amp for the last month or so. Can. Not. Wait!

That’s awesome. Sure it will impress.

Check out the lineup D has on eBay right now. The man is a maniac. Really looking forward to hearing that 6FLV.

x3workshop 09-21-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 980320)
That’s awesome. Sure it will impress.

Check out the lineup D has on eBay right now. The man is a maniac. Really looking forward to hearing that 6FLV.

He has been quite busy!

straitwire 09-22-2019 06:04 PM

Hey x3workshop, you are correct sir, that is your gorgeous amplifier.
I am soooo jealous!...:D...straitwire

x3workshop 09-22-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 980460)
Hey x3workshop, you are correct sir, that is your gorgeous amplifier.
I am soooo jealous!...:D...straitwire

Get that sucker packed up! I want to give it a listen next weekend!:yes:

FloridaBoy 09-23-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 980471)
Get that sucker packed up! I want to give it a listen next weekend!: yes:

Let us know how you like it. :thumbsup:

x3workshop 10-10-2019 06:40 AM

Received my PSET amp just about 10 days ago and had a few days with it before I left for a trip.

What can I say? It's amazing... and surprisingly powerful! I'm running a pair of Altec M14's (rebuilt xovers) with it and it's really pretty incredible. I know there are perhaps better loudspeakers, but I am mighty impressed.

I'll write more when I've spent some extended time listening. I'll try it with my Tannoys this weekend. So far I am a happy customer.

d.eugene.a 10-12-2019 01:07 AM

Hi :),
I've just got Audeze LCD-X, and I've really enjoyed them with Fiio X5. Now I want to find amp/dac that makes them sound even better. I heard that LCD-X sounds magical with a pentode tube amplifier and I saw pictures of those on this forum. Is it the right place to ask how I can get one? What do you think about the idea to use it with LCD-X?

decooney 10-12-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.eugene.a (Post 982218)
Hi :),
I've just got Audeze LCD-X, and I've really enjoyed them with Fiio X5. Now I want to find amp/dac that makes them sound even better. I heard that LCD-X sounds magical with a pentode tube amplifier and I saw pictures of those on this forum. Is it the right place to ask how I can get one? What do you think about the idea to use it with LCD-X?

Are you looking for a dedicated headphone amplifier to run with your LCD-X headphones? Something like this Dragon Inspire IHA-1 Tube Headphone Amp?

https://www.moon-audio.com/media/cat...tube-white.jpg

d.eugene.a 10-12-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 982242)
Are you looking for a dedicated headphone amplifier to run with your LCD-X headphones? Something like this Dragon Inspire IHA-1 Tube Headphone Amp?

https://www.moon-audio.com/media/cat...tube-white.jpg

Yes, I'm looking for a dedicated headphone amplifier. I need DAC as well(I'm thinking about Shiit Modi multibit), so if it's nice DAC + Amp I will consider it as well. But for now, I'm focusing on finding amp.
Regarding Dragon Inspire IHA-1 Tube Headphone Amp I have 3 questions :)
- I was told that LCD-X sounds best with pentode tubes. The description says about triodes. I'm not sure if it makes sense, I've never had a tube amplifier,
completely new to this area, so I am open to suggestions.
- LCD-X is low impedance(20) HP - will it work with this amplifier?
- the price is too high for me :( I was trying to aim <1k$, 500-800$. Is there anything in this price range for my needs?

I haven't decided yet should I buy solid-state or tube amp. Based on reviews, I like the most Rupert Neve RNHP from SS amps, so now I want to understand what tube(pentode?) amp can I get for LCD-X and then choose from those 2 options. I will appreciate any comments on that.

Comzee 10-12-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 982242)

I owned (still own actually) the IHA-1. Amazing headphone amplifier, but absolutely not enough power for planar headphones like the LCD-X.

It has enough gain for good volumes, but crushes dynamics in headphones that need power, such as planars.

I had Dennis build me a custom Pentode headamp, but I had to pester him for over a year before he finally agreed to it. He might make you one since he already has the design in his head now though. Couldn't hurt to ask.

If you wanted to use it specifically with planars tho, you have to tell him that. The transformers need to be spec'd correctly for the low ohm of planar headphones. LCD-X is 20ohm, I use HD800 which are 300ohm. When I use low ohm headphones on my custom amp they sound terrible. Of course because Dennis spec'd my amp for 300ohm loads.