AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Music Collection Rotation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1249)

jdandy 06-13-2009 08:39 PM

Music Collection Rotation

I have every CD I own on the MS750, and every new CD that arrives goes there first. Even though there's 750 CD's at my immediate beck and call, I still have what I refer to as the top fifty, and I usually have those CD's out, and ready to slip into the MCD500. I will rotate this top fifty a little bit, but I do it in phases. If I am enjoying particular CD's, they can stay in the top fifty for quite a while. I have been known to play the same CD three or four times in the same day, sometimes back to back, and still enjoy playing it again the next day. I like listening to my top fifty CD's, even though I could listen to anything else in my collection.

Am I alone in this habit, or are you doing something similar with your current favorite CD's?

Still-One 06-13-2009 08:57 PM

I have about 600 CD of which I have loaded about 400 on the MS-300. Of those 400 about 100 get played a lot. Occasionally I will listen to the same disc a couple times in a day especially if it is a newer disc.

jdandy 06-13-2009 09:03 PM

Jim.......Once your CD's are on the MS300, do you ever play the CD's again?

gregswaim 06-13-2009 09:07 PM

I don't own a music server but my habits are similar to yours Dan. My favs change daily- sometimes more than that. :music:

Still-One 06-13-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 21587)
Jim.......Once your CD's are on the MS300, do you ever play the CD's again?

I play SACD's of course but even though my CD rack is only 5 feet from the player I would guess only about twice a week do I actually pull out and play the CD's. It is just too easy to use the server.

jdandy 06-13-2009 10:12 PM

Jim.......I love using the server, too, especially when I am in my office. I can hear the sound system, but can't see it, so I use the computer interface for the MS750 to keep the tunes rolling when I am in here. The server is playing right now, but when I move to the living room for some serious listening, it's CD's in the MCD500. My top 50 are standing by.

80B 06-13-2009 10:47 PM

My server is a Mac Mini using iTunes, which gets most of the play time due to its convenience. I use the 'last played' and 'play count' columns to keep me honest and play some music that's not in that top 50 or so. A few CDs and all my (couple dozen) SACDs are kept close at hand and get a good deal of play. While the vast majority of CDs are stored in the basement since all CDs are on the server, I do miss having them to glance at on a shelf and pick something with the whole collection in sight. Although, truth be told, I do not miss that enough if it meant giving up the server!

JimJ 06-20-2009 11:42 AM

Since all my digital listening is done via FLAC, random shuffle on Foobar gets used a lot :)

jdandy 06-20-2009 11:56 AM

Just this morning I pulled 20 CD's out of them top 50, put the back in the CD rack, and pulled ten fresh CD's. I also have 10 new CD's that have arrived in the past two weeks that are in the top 50 right now. Between the top 50, which get a lot of play in a given two week period, and the MS750, the music is always going, and always good.

MC352 06-20-2009 03:45 PM

My CD's are rotated fairly often. I try to pull the ones from the back every couple of weeks.

Most of the time I am playing the MS300, I have over 600 CD's on there. Shuffling through the music there is easy.

If I start playing 1 or 2 songs from each CD on the MS300, I build a playlist that I can go back to later.