AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   What are you Grilling? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Big Green Egg @ 7500' (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42545)

W9TR 03-23-2018 07:51 PM

Big Green Egg @ 7500'

Our first grill at 7500' ! I bought this Big Green Egg used and it came with this nifty temperature controller. It works really great - held the pit at 250 F for 5 hours. The fan at the bottom of the grill turns on and off to keep the pit temp constant. Two racks of pork ribs are still in there. Can't wait to taste 'em!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/806/2...fb34f35d_b.jpg

Tom

Weirdcuba 03-23-2018 08:44 PM

I have a different version the temp controller and it’s great. Makes brisket much easier. I love my eggs (have one here and in the mountains).

W9TR 03-23-2018 08:55 PM

We’ve had a BGE at our Wisconsin lake home for years. So we had to get one for Colorado.

My first experience with this temp controller was very positive.

vintage_tube 03-23-2018 10:52 PM

Looks nice Tom -- Every time I visit the local hardware store, I check these out. I like that they do everything - grill, smoke, a brick-oven & a convection oven all in one.

I do a lot of grilling year-round and am interested in smoking without having a second cooker on the patio.

I do like the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 Accessory Kit if I was to take the plunge.

Is yours a Large, Xtra Large -- or?? What would be an appropriate size -- without buying one and finding out it's too small? May do a turkey -- may not -- but would like to have the option to smoke one under 18 pounds or so (if that helps in answering the size question).

Thanks

Best Sir,

Bob

W9TR 03-23-2018 11:19 PM

Hi Bob,
Both our eggs are large. There is a trade off between size (capacity), startup time and charcoal use. I think the large is the sweet spot. I certainly wouldn’t go any smaller.

We’ve done a 15 Lb turkey no problem, could go bigger. I would think 20 Lb would be an absolute max.

BTW, it was the very best thanksgiving turkey we’ve ever roasted!

The ability to go low and slow at 225 F or go to 750 F for a 2 minute ‘wood fired’ Italian style pizza is unmatched, IMO.

Here at 7500’ the controller and fan are lifesavers as it takes a lot longer to start up here without them than at sea level.

I am very impressed with the design and ease of use of the DigiQ DX2. The controller held temp within a few degrees over 5 hours. This will be great for a 12 - 14 hour brisket cook.

Usually this time of year there are demo eggs available that have been used once in bbq competitions. I recommend this approach as it saves considerable coin.

Tom

vintage_tube 03-23-2018 11:28 PM

Thanks Tom,

Marching orders in hand -- mission has commenced for a slightly used/demo Large BGE so I don't disrupt the LP account.:yes::D

Best Sir,

Bob

W9TR 03-23-2018 11:41 PM

Absolutely!

JGM411 03-24-2018 01:14 PM

Count me in as a BGE owner. I have had it for 5-6 years.

I do a lot of homemade pizzas on it. Briskets, Country Ribeyes, pork butt, turkey, quail, you name it I have most likely smoked, bbq'd and/or baked it.

It's a great multi-function oven.

One thing I have noticed is that I can't bake pizzas above 700 degrees as the pizza stone gets too hot. If the stone is too hot, the crust will bake faster than the toppings.

A good pizza baking temp for me is 550-650.

multiham 03-24-2018 02:13 PM

Always wanted one of these. We have a composite deck. Does anyone else use this on a composite deck? Afraid the heat from the bottom will melt the decking.

Antonmb 03-24-2018 02:58 PM

Big Green Egg @ 7500'

We’ve had a large for several years and love it. Nothing like a standing rib roast at Christmas slow-roasted with the snow flying around the Egg.