AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   MR88 tuner and W4S Remedy (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30293)

jameslrock 02-17-2015 06:38 PM

MR88 tuner and W4S Remedy

For fun today I hooked up the McIntosh MR88 to the W4S Remedy and from there to the K-03x using WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 digital coax cables. What a difference! HD Radio opened up with a much larger stage and even compressed Sirius XM opened up. All was more CD like and had more bottom end. I went back and forth between the C2300 CD and Tuner inputs and it was immediately noticeable. Sort of like flipping between a stage and a cave that I was unaware of before. My wife picked up on it as well with no hesitation. I am currently using WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs from the MR88 to the C2300 so I did not expect this much of a difference. The W4S and the K-03x DAC made a huge difference. Hopefully there will be a W4S Remedy special and a WW special again (Ivan?). Since I am already using the K-03x digital coax input for the Sonos/W4S Remedy, for the MR88 I will need to use optical from the Remedy to the K-03x optical input. Will this be as good as using the digital coax input? I could still use digital coax from the MR88 to the Remedy, just will need to use optical from the Remedy to the K-03x (or does it matter?)

Masterlu 02-17-2015 08:57 PM

Jim... I also have my MR88 running thru a W4S Remedy and really enjoy the end result. I do prefer coax for my digital needs.

jameslrock 02-17-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 675811)
Jim... I also have my MR88 running thru a W4S Remedy and really enjoy the end result. I do prefer coax for my digital needs.

With both the Sonos through one Remedy and the MR88 through another Remedy, how will you connect both to the K-03x? Coax to coax, coax to optical, or optical to optical and how for each source? The K-03x has one digital coax in and one optical in. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Masterlu 02-18-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 675843)
With both the Sonos through one Remedy and the MR88 through another Remedy, how will you connect both to the K-03x? Coax to coax, coax to optical, or optical to optical and how for each source? The K-03x has one digital coax in and one optical in. Thanks.

I would simply use a glass optical for the Sonos.

jameslrock 02-18-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 675846)
I would simply use a glass optical for the Sonos.

Interesting. So with a W4S Remedy in between for each, optical to optical for Sonos and coax to coax for MR88?

Masterlu 02-18-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameslrock (Post 675851)
Interesting. So with a W4S Remedy in between for each, optical to optical for Sonos and coax to coax for MR88?

Yup :yes:

aclearspot 02-19-2015 11:50 PM

MR88 and Remedy Reclocker

I thought the consensus was the MR88 sounded better using balanced connections ? The coax, Remedy Reclocker is the way to go now ?My MR88 is still a couple of weeks out and I want to make sure I'm covered cable wise.

jameslrock 02-20-2015 12:13 AM

First of all the MR88 is a top rate tuner. You will do well balanced XLR as I have it now or through the W4S Remedy to a great DAC. I did not realize the difference in the width and depth of the soundstage until I heard it through the Remedy and DAC. I wanted my tuner to be more analogue but it was an overwhelming favorite with the digital out though the Remedy through the K-03x DAC. Do not know if this was due to the Remedy or the K-03x DAC or both. Your experience will depend on your set-up. I am guessing that the DAC is the difference since the Esoteric K-03x is so good. But then again the Remedy is feeding it. I wish I could tell you the way to go. Hopefully others will take this thread further.

Masterlu 02-20-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclearspot (Post 676395)
I thought the consensus was the MR88 sounded better using balanced connections ? The coax, Remedy Reclocker is the way to go now ?My MR88 is still a couple of weeks out and I want to make sure I'm covered cable wise.

I run mine digital out > remedy > MCD1100 :music:

jameslrock 02-20-2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 676410)
I run mine digital out > remedy > MCD1100 :music:

optical or digital coax?