AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Audio Research Corporation Reference 5 Linestage Preamp from avguide.com (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=5566)

klipschfan 09-16-2010 12:07 PM

Audio Research Corporation Reference 5 Linestage Preamp from avguide.com

http://www.avguide.com/sites/next-te...arch_ref_4.jpg

Audio Research Corporation Reference 5 Linestage Preamp (TAS 205) | AVguide

cmalak 10-06-2010 12:23 AM

can we move this thread to the new Audio Research forum?

Masterlu 10-06-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 110893)
can we move this thread to the new Audio Research forum?

Already did! ;)

Tricky 11-16-2010 01:02 PM

Any one here own it?

Daytona50 11-18-2010 03:23 PM

I just recently got one. Replaced an excellent LS26. Its truly a special piece of equipment. It sits between an ARC CD7 and a Ref 110, driving Wilson Sophia 3's.

darkstar 11-18-2010 06:13 PM

I think I did a disservice to Audio Research by rulling them out in my search for a new system.

I heard the REF 210, REF 5 and CD8 on some Magico V3 speakers. And while the sound was nice, I felt the overall "speed and pace " of the music was somewhat slow and lethargic. As I listened to the system, I could not help but feel the music was 1 step slower then what it should be. Additionally, I did not walk away with the glorious tube sound I was expecting.

After listening to the AR rig, I then listened to the Magico's with Spectral gear, and Wham Bam Thank You Mam. Talk about speed and impact.

I think I really need to hear the AR gear on some Wilson to better evaluate what they briing to the table.:yes:

cmalak 11-18-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytona50 (Post 118993)
I just recently got one. Replaced an excellent LS26. Its truly a special piece of equipment. It sits between an ARC CD7 and a Ref 110, driving Wilson Sophia 3's.

Daytona...I went from an LS-26 to the REF 5. I have the REF 110 and CD7 as well. I may have to pull the trigger on the REF 5. The LS-26 to the REF 3 was a nice step up. Did you have a chance to compare a REF 3 to a REF 5? I am wondering how much of a step up it is...

Congrats on a great system :thumbsup:

cmalak 11-18-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar (Post 119022)
I think I did a disservice to Audio Research by rulling them out in my search for a new system.

I heard the REF 210, REF 5 and CD8 on some Magico V3 speakers. And while the sound was nice, I felt the overall "speed and pace " of the music was somewhat slow and lethargic. As I listened to the system, I could not help but feel the music was 1 step slower then what it should be. Additionally, I did not walk away with the glorious tube sound I was expecting.

After listening to the AR rig, I then listened to the Magico's with Spectral gear, and Wham Bam Thank You Mam. Talk about speed and impact.

I think I really need to hear the AR gear on some Wilson to better evaluate what they briing to the table.:yes:

:yes: darkstar....the Magicos are a tough load for tube amps in general. They really do respond best to SS amps a lot better. ARC and Wilson/Vandersteen are a good combo for sure. :thumbsup:

Daytona50 11-19-2010 10:34 AM

Cmalak, I did not have a chance to listen to the Ref 3 in my system. The 26, as good a preamp as it was, wasn't as good a match with my system as the Ref 3 or 5, due to the 24db of native gain and the relatively high output of the CD7. Sure this could be cut to 18 or 12 db with the gain control, but I felt that I was loosing dynamics that way. The 12db of the Ref series seems perfect. So from a 3 to a 5, I don't know but the 26 to the 5 was a huge step up, more like two huge steps in realism, dynamics and tonality. With the Ref 5, I feel I am getting all the Wilson Sophia 3's are capable of. There is warm rich mid-bass and lower midrange, while it was more dry or restricted with the LS26. Just as an aside, the Ls26 sounded perfectly natural with my Harbeth Monitor 40's which were known to be a bit overripe in the midbass.

darkstar 11-19-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 119119)
:yes: darkstar....the Magicos are a tough load for tube amps in general. They really do respond best to SS amps a lot better. ARC and Wilson/Vandersteen are a good combo for sure. :thumbsup:

Cmalak,

Thanks. How do you feel about the REF 220 driving the Sasha's?