AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My Theater build (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20473)

goldar 04-09-2013 10:39 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hey, finally getting around to posting. Still new to the board so don’t know the rules, but this seems like the friendliest corner of the internet I’ve ever seen. Starting a “my theater build” thread. My progress so far is just cleaning up the basement and applying some drylock to the concrete walls. This is NOT going to go as fast as Ivan’s Cape build, not even close, but I’ll post pics and progress as it happens. I’m doing most of the work myself. Except for the drywall tape and mudding… never again…

I read the whole Cape build thread over the weekend. Wow. I haven’t read anything as inspirational…or long… since Atlas Shrugged. Seriously, it took me 3 days.

I’ve spent countless hours in Visio drawing and many a boring meeting at work and sleepless night :sheep: contemplating soundproofing and equipment layout. I’m glad I went through the thread because I’m reevaluating a lot and now have tons of research to do. Some of the gear that was installed, I had never even heard of.

Biggest question I have is why the Owens Corning 703 along the upper portion of the walls? So, no diffusers, only absorption, I am assuming that this is to extend the boundaries of the room. Interesting…

Anyway, here is the current state of the basement before any construction. Also, the proposed layout and some concept layouts for the front of the room and equipment layout. Although now I want a catwalk behind the front wall… and a two channel listening room… maybe in a few years.

At the moment the front design with the wood work is the plan, although the McIntosh columns with the blue meter type lighting would be cool.

- Howard

cmalak 04-09-2013 10:43 PM

Welcome to AA Goldar :wave: and very neat HT build project. Keep us posted as you progress :thumbsup:

Masterlu 04-09-2013 10:45 PM

Howard... Awesome, I'm looking forward to it! I also want you to know if at any point you need help or questions answered, just reach out to me. :thumbsup:

GaryProtein 04-09-2013 10:48 PM

The plans look great. Keep us posted on the progress.

chessman 04-09-2013 10:52 PM

Be sure to put in four 20 amp circuits (yes, you will need them) that are all on the same phase and isolated from everything else in the house and some empty conduit in the walls so you can easily pull cables.

Masterlu 04-09-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 476634)
Be sure to put in four 20 amp circuits (yes, you will need them) that are all on the same phase and isolated from everything else in the house and some empty conduit in the walls so you can easily pull cables.

And one more for good measure. :naughty:

chessman 04-09-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 476636)
And one more for good measure. :naughty:

No kidding. I need two on the front wall for subs and the amp, two on the right wall for a sub and surround setup and one on the left wall for two channel sources. It kills me that I did not do this when I built the room out.

Masterlu 04-09-2013 11:07 PM

It costs virtually nothing to put them in now, just do it! Also, run Cat5 for the Ethernet pretty much everywhere. Just but a 500' spool on Amazon for $60.

You can thank me later! ;)

goldar 04-09-2013 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a box of cat5e that i will apply liberally.

Also, yes, saw the extra 20 amp outlets in your build. And, yes, an electrical upgrade is in order, here is my electrical panel... all full. So, a new sub-panel will be installed.

thanks for all the kind word and offers for help. I'll definitely reach out.

Alki 04-10-2013 04:30 AM

Ahoy Howard. Welcome aboard. Could not help but notice to golden ratio in your room measurements. I assume a 9 Ft height in your room. Keep the pics coming along the way as a project like this interests me (and probably others around here).