AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MSS HiFi Took my Money (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8965)

Jerome W 07-06-2011 03:42 PM

MSS HiFi Took my Money

Hello my friends,

A friend of mine, Jean Luc, who is a new member here ( clad7) ordered a new pair of 1.2 kW monoblocks at MSS HIFI, NY.
He's asking me an advice, and his story is rather disturbing so I thought the best way to answer him would be to ask to my very good friends here first.

He sent the money by wire transfer on 7 th april. MSS HiFi said they would send the amp converted in 240 V.
After receiving the money, they did not send to Jean Luc (JL) any confirmation.
On april 14th, JL asked them if they got the money.
On april 15th, they replied " Yes, we have received the funds. We have sent the amplifiers to McIntosh factory for voltage conversion yesterday. We will let you know as soon as they are ready."
My first question here is : do they need to send the amps to Mc to do this ? It is so simple I did myself on the 2301's !
On May 2nd, JL sent this message :
"Good morning Johnny,
more than 15 days you wrote me, and since this day, no knews . . .
What happens ?"
One day after, they replied : "Will check with the factory today.
Johnny Boey"
May 5th, JL writes : "OK, Johnny,
and the following answer is ? ? ? ? "
He got no answer. So, on may 9th, JL writes again :
"Johnny,
you wrote me you check with the factory the 3rd of may.
Today is 9 of may . . .
Always no news !
What happens ?
Do you think it is serious "
On may 10th, they reply :
"They are still at the factory. Should be ready next week.
Johnny Boey"
May 19th : JL writes :
"last week you wrote me : "They are still at the factory. Should be ready next week"
Nine days (more than a week !) have passed . . .
I'm always waiting, without news from you, if I do'nt send you a mail ! ! !
I think you are not serious . "
May 30: MSS replies a funny answer :
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting MSS Hifi.
Leaders of the Free World The World's Busiest High -End Audio Store
One of our sales team members will get right back to you. Thank You!!
MSS Hifi"
June 10th: JL writes :
"Dear Sir,
I haven’t received any answer from you for more than two weeks. Please come back to me ASAP.
However it is disappointing, if I don’t hear from you in the following days, I will take it as a proof that you are not serious, nor honest. Thus I will ask my bank to cancel the order transfer of 13 000 Euros and I will contact my American lawyer to take the necessary legal measures.
I hope this is only a misunderstanding and we will find a solution quickly.
I’m looking forward to receiving your reply.
Regards"
He got no answer so on june 15th, JL writes this on my advice :
"Dear Sir,
I haven’t received any answer from you for more than three weeks ! it is not acceptable to get such lack of interest in a regular business transaction.
As a loyal customer asking for informations, I deserve to get those informations.
I was planning to order to you a high end preamp also, but I will reserve this until I receive the amplifiers I have ordered.
If I don’t get any reply to my query this week, I will regret it but I will have to post a message on the web site "audioaficionado.org" to describe my problem and to inform my friends there.
Let me precise to you that I am a highly respected and active member on this site, since its creation in april 2009. I'm sure that you would not appreciate the effects of such a bad feedback on the most popular high end audio forum on the web and I would really like to avoid this.
Best wishes."
On June 16th, they finally answer this :
"Just checked with the factory. They still have not worked on them yet. They promised us by the end of the month, definitely.
Johnny Boey"

JL is very worried by the fact that since april, and the wire transfer, nothing really moved from MSS HIFI.
He's asking me if he should contact a lawer in New York.

What do you think my dear friends ? How can we help Jean Luc ? Do you think that Jean Luc should contact a lawer ?
Did you order anything from MSS HIFI ? Are they serious ?
How can they "sell " new Mc amps if they are not official dealers ?
Can we trust the fact that the amps would be at the McIntosh factory for conversion ? Could we ask McIntosh about that ?

All your opinions and advices will be highly appreciated from the poor frenchies !
Cheers,
Jérôme ( and Jean Luc / clad7 )

Still-One 07-06-2011 03:53 PM

Jérôme

MSS HiFi was previously known as the Audio Pimp on Audiogon, but was kicked off for reasons we can guess, not have no facts.

Jim

Jerome W 07-06-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 178026)
Jérôme

MSS HiFi was previously known as the Audio Pimp on Audiogon, but was kicked off for reasons we can guess, not have no facts.

Jim

Ok Jim. So do you think JL should contact a lawer ?

Still-One 07-06-2011 04:01 PM

Jérôme
After 3 months I would think that would be appropriate. I did not know that McIntosh would themselves convert units to be sent out of the country. That sees fishy. Some of their dealers might as you know.

Jim

jwhite613 07-06-2011 04:03 PM

Jerome there seems to be a lot of bad reviews online about msshifi. After reading some of these I would IMO would contact a lawyer. They seem to be a bit on the shady side. Good luck.

Masterlu 07-06-2011 04:12 PM

Jérôme... I am sending you a PM which will solve this mystery for your friend. I prefer it to remain confidential.

Jerome W 07-06-2011 04:25 PM

Ok friends, I got it ! :tears:

Who knows a good lawyer in NY ?

Thanks

joeinid 07-06-2011 04:39 PM

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of the problems. I will admit about 6 years ago I purchased a Pass X250 and a Pass X0.2 preamp from them (jbaudiopimp) before I knew of their business practices. I bought both pieces at the same time and received a great deal. The equipment was in new, unopened condition. I believe I was very lucky and would not take a chance again.

Joe

Doug Lax 07-06-2011 04:45 PM

Jerome,
I would ask for the serial #'s of the amp's and I would call McIntosh and verify that they are there. I will also contact a friend who is an attorney and ask him if he knows anyone in NYC that would specialize in fraud.

Jerome W 07-06-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglax (Post 178039)
Jerome,
I would ask for the serial #'s of the amp's and I would call McIntosh and verify that they are there. I will also contact a friend who is an attorney and ask him if he knows anyone in NYC that would specialize in fraud.

Doug,
Great idea ! Thanks !