AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   $30K range speakers, WOW! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19998)

tom_hankins 03-19-2013 10:26 AM

$30K range speakers, WOW!

So my wife and I have been on the hunt for speakers in the $30K range. So many really great speakers! Going to audition the magico S5 this week.
Have heard and really like the Sashas, Marten Bird 2, and Vivid K1.
Have liked but not loved the Rockport Aviar, Focal Scala utopia, J.A. Pearl, want to hear again outside of show setings.
Have ruled out the TAD E1, Vienna acoustic The Music (didnt hear but "the kiss" didnt work for my wife), KEF Blade, Sony SS-AR1.
Have not heard the Vandy 5A carbon, Aerial 20T yet.
These will probably all be $40K by the time I hear them all! :tears:
but it will be fun traveling around and listening.
Really want the new YG Acoustics Kipod II passive, coming from the Carmels they would be our first choice, but not going into debt.:no:
Anyway, this price range is really stacked with alot of great speakers. Something for everyone.

jdandy 03-19-2013 10:38 AM

I would suggest you add the Sonus faber Amati Annivesario and the Sonus faber Futura to your list.

Stereo-head 03-19-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_hankins (Post 463142)
So my wife and I....

You lucky lucky man. :yes:

doggiehowser 03-19-2013 10:48 AM

Allow a small plug for Thiel which is underepresented here :)

CS3.7s with dual SS2.2s or one.

tom_hankins 03-19-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 463153)
Allow a small plug for Thiel which is underepresented here :)

CS3.7s with dual SS2.2s or one.

Owned and enjoyed the CS7.2s for years. Trying to get away from using subs if I can. But mainly, not getting anything that will not perform with my current electronics. Dont think the 3.7s could be all they can be with my 160 wpc tube amps.

PHC1 03-19-2013 11:03 AM

You should really add Tannoy to your list. Especially that you are using tube amps. :yes:

MtnHam 03-19-2013 11:09 AM

If your quest is because you love music rather than hi-fi, you should add Sound Lab electrostatics (the larger ones) to your list. They bring the concert hall into your home.

doggiehowser 03-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_hankins (Post 463157)

Owned and enjoyed the CS7.2s for years. Trying to get away from using subs if I can. But mainly, not getting anything that will not perform with my current electronics. Dont think the 3.7s could be all they can be with my 160 wpc tube amps.

I was never a big fan of subs for music until I tried Thiel's SmartSubs. They are something else. And idiot proof to integrate in any room.

The 3.7s are also more efficient than some of the older Thiels. I've heard some old 16W tubes doing a decent job with slower jazz pieces. I've also heard the new Bob Carver tubes which sound sublime with the new Thiels (2.7 and 3.7)

Still-One 03-19-2013 11:33 AM

Tom
The $30k price point provides a deep well of competitive speakers. You are going to have your hands full deciding on the right one for you. Happy hunting.

mbovaird 03-19-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 463148)
I would suggest you add the Sonus faber Amati Annivesario and the Sonus faber Futura to your list.

A big big plus 1. I would go with the Sonus Faber Futuras. They are one of the best looking speakers and one of the best sounding speakers in that price range.

Dan - can you still buy the Anniversarios? If so, that's another great option - easier to drive too.