AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh Injuries......You, Too? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=440)

jdandy 04-22-2009 02:05 PM

McIntosh Injuries......You, Too?

Reading Jerry's comments about the difficulties of moving the new MA6600 with a couple of slipped discs in his back caused me to want to revisit this topic. I have been injured while handling McIntosh gear more than once. The most recent, from which I am still suffering a little, was a torn right shoulder rotator cuff and torn bicep. I was trying to pack the MC300 amplifier by myself. I had managed to get it mounted to the bottom shipping plate, and packed in the inner box. I was trying to get the inner box, with the four foam corner protectors on it, inserted into the larger outer box. I had the inner box suspended over the outer box, and swung the box out in a manner to align and lower it when one of the foam coners fell off. I was already commited to this move of swinging and lowering this weight when I made a new effort to stop the swiging and lowering. That's when I felt, and heard a pop in my right shoulder, and a searing pain shot from my right shoulder to my elbow across my bicep muscle, accompanied with a deep pain on the top front of my shoulder. Man, that hurt like hell. Somehow, I don't even remember the rest of the event, but I managed to not drop the amplifier in its inner box. Sheer panic and adrenaline, I guess. That was ten months ago. Although I have recoverd most of the use of my right arm's strength, I still have limits I can not exceed without pain in my right bicep and shoulder.

Moving McIntosh gear around can seriously put it on you if you are not careful, and don't seek assistance when necessary. So, lets hear about your McIntosh injury.

Masterlu 04-22-2009 02:10 PM

I have a torn right shoulder rotator cuff from doing a marathon installation of MC1.2KW's even with the help of my Vestil Lift. More injuries to follow...

Haurock 04-22-2009 02:20 PM

If there is one drawback about McIntosh this has to be it.. bloody stuff weighs a ton!..... :eek:

jdandy 04-22-2009 02:23 PM

I have learned my lesson. I call my neighbor down the road for help when I need it.........usually. :D

gregswaim 04-22-2009 02:24 PM

Since I didn't order the MC2301's like I thought :confused-5:, that means I just saved myself a L1-L6 spinal fusion sometime in the near future. Preventative medicine is highly underrated! :yes:

jdandy 04-22-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregswaim (Post 7124)
Since I didn't order the MC2301's like I thought :confused-5:, that means I just saved myself a L1-L6 spinal fusion sometime in the near future. Preventative medicine is highly underrated! :yes:

:lmao: :lmao:
Good one, Greg

Masterlu 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

Then there was the time I was installing my XRT2K's, the manual clearly states to use no less than "4" people to stand it up.

I look at my son, he looks back at me, I say are you ready? he says; wait a minute. You see doubt is the mother of all mishaps.

I say we can do it; just get under it here & give it a huge burst of power till we get the weight balanced on the floor.

Of course standing it up is only 1/4 of the battle. For the next hour I hugged that thing like I was dancing with a Zodiac Bear to get it into place. Looked around and saw the other XRT2K laying on its back waiting for a boost & dance of it's own.

Next 3 days felt like I retired from the WWF...

jdandy 04-22-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 7130)
I hugged that thing like I was dancing with a Zodiac Bear........Next 3 days felt like I retired from the WWF...

Ivan.......The Zodiac Bear line is hilarious. :laughin:

hkval 04-22-2009 02:46 PM

Moving the XRT1K's around was like being vertically intimate with a rock/solid woman. Moving the 1.2KW's in and out of the entertainment enclosure was what I imagine hell to be if we have not led a pure life here on earth. I was much younger 6 months ago but have now accepted the limitations resulting from the aging process.:D

Masterlu 04-22-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 7144)
Ivan.......The Zodiac Bear line is hilarious. :laughin:

Thank god that wasn't filmed & put on YouTube! :nerd: