AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   In the Groove" record cleaner (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26294)

Volks 04-13-2014 11:23 PM

In the Groove" record cleaner

2 Attachment(s)
Not one to jump on the bandwagon gimmick wise, but i thought i would take a chance on the In the Groove" record cleaner....well to sum it up....It works!...i took 5 albums that have not been cleaned in a long time and rolled the In the Groove" record cleaner over them and it picked up all kinds of dirt/residue and even fingerprints lol.......im not saying to replace your RCM with it, but for $10-$29 its a quick fix cleaning :) ......leaves no residue and when the stickiness wears down......simply wash it and dry.

antipop 04-14-2014 04:00 PM

I've seen some horror stories on the net. I hope it's just some random complaints and you have no issue with yours. Looks like a great idea.

jdandy 04-14-2014 04:04 PM

Michael.......I'm sorry, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd roll a lint roller around on my vinyl. I don't care what the manufacturer says about it. But hey, that's just me.

audio bill 04-14-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 599028)
Michael.......I'm sorry, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd roll a lint roller around on my vinyl. I don't care what the manufacturer says about it. But hey, that's just me.

This is not anything like a standard lint roller, in that there is no tacky substance that could be left on your records. The plastic itself is supposed to be able to attract and hold dust, and that's why you can rinse it off and it's then as good as new. I don't have any first hand experience with it, but have a friend who tried one and found it pretty ineffective and ended up returning it for a refund. Of course as always, YMMV.

edkoz 04-14-2014 06:00 PM

I have used it a number of times. Works well for what it is. It's easy to use and there is no residue.

jdandy 04-14-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio.bill (Post 599033)
This is not anything like a standard lint roller, in that there is no tacky substance that could be left on your records. The plastic itself is supposed to be able to attract and hold dust, and that's why you can rinse it off and it's then as good as new. I don't have any first hand experience with it, but have a friend who tried one and found it pretty ineffective and ended up returning it for a refund. Of course as always, YMMV.

audio.bill.......I know it's not a lint roller. :D

I saw one demonstrated in a record store. I wasn't impressed. I was just poking fun at Michael. Still, I wouldn't roll that thing around on my vinyl. :no:

Volks 04-14-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 599053)
audio.bill.......I know it's not a lint roller. :D

I saw one demonstrated in a record store. I wasn't impressed. I was just poking fun at Michael. Still, I wouldn't roll that thing around on my vinyl. :no:

Hehe NP Dan :) ....well so far so good.....like i said it does what it says it does for a very cheap price

BillK 04-15-2014 07:47 AM

I tried one and the first time I did right out of the package new it left a noticeable residue on my record.

No idea what, but you could see a "pattern" in the vinyl in areas it had traveled.

Volks 04-15-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 599191)
I tried one and the first time I did right out of the package new it left a noticeable residue on my record.

No idea what, but you could see a "pattern" in the vinyl in areas it had traveled.

Ive been watching for anything like a residue, but so far ive seen nothing at all residue wise.

Dude111 06-02-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy
Michael.......I'm sorry, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd roll a lint roller around on my vinyl.

I agree....... I usually clean them with Mr Clean or some other soap :) (Ya gotta be careful as they cant take much heat so the water you use has to be cool (Unless its thicker material))

The other day @ salvation army I got "Bobby Vintons Greatest Hits" and it had NO JACKET,was dirty and looked scratched up.....

I felt the record surface and didnt feel anything really so I brought her home and gave her a good bath with Mr clean and semi warm water....... She came amazingly clean!!!

No skips,all excellent songs!!!!!! (A little noise in some spots but MUCH BETTER than i thought)